“Better than treasure” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto
“Better than treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2007

While driving around New Mexico and Arizona for a 22 day vacation, I stumbled upon the El Rey Inn by chance. Actually I had already stopped at two other motels in Santa Fe and was astounded by the prices quoted for a standard bunker style motel room. I just happened to see the El Rey out of the corner of my eye when passing by and turned around to check it out. And am I glad I did. First the price was in line with my budget and secondly, what a find. I had perfect room (casita) with a porch and chairs...with decor and ambience to fit in with downtown Santa Fe...I just love that adobe style of structure. The pool was refreshing also. At first I just booked for one night, but after seeing the room and facilities, I called the front desk and booked for two nights, without any fanfare at all. And I'm glad I did this too, for the facility booked up within 30 minutes for the remainder of the week.

I stayed in one of the original rooms (circa 1939). It was quaint, comfortable and very clean. Complete with bar fridge and microwave, I was all set. I even washed all of my clothes in the guest laundry.

The room included a modest breakfast each morning. This was a good place to meet other guests and hear their touring stories.

I had my own parking spot right at the front door (as do all the other guests), and while sitting on the porch at sundown, I spoke to several other guests as they strolled by.

The front desk staff were very helpful in suggesting a variety of top quality restaurants (not the usual chains) and I was very pleasantly pleased with the southwestern fare (Thomasitas) that was recommended. The second night I ate western (The Cowgirl) and this too was top notch. I doubt I would have found these places myself without the help from the front desk.

If I ever return to Santa Fe, I will certainly make the El Rey Inn my choice for residence. Over the course of my 22 day vacation in the US southwest, this was the best motel memory of this trip. I stayed in 14 other establishments and the El Rey Inn topped them all.

Thanks El Rey.

Olegar, Toronto, Canada

• Liked — Cleanliness, privacy of rooms, parking convenience, price
  • Disliked — absolutely nothing negative to say
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank olegar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2007

I booked this motel mainly because I knew we were just passing through Santa Fe and would only need one night. I wasn't really looking for a spectacular place, but I did want something comfortable, and with the good reviews on Tripadvisor, I decided this place was it. By the time we checked in though, I was so impressed I wished we could have stayed longer! The El Rey is made up of several different buildings, some newer than others. The front desk informed us that our section was constructed in the 1970s, so I'm not sure what the older rooms look like. But our little room was so cute and charming. It was a bit dark, as the only natural light came from the glass patio door. But there was plenty of lighting inside. The decor was very retro, with some interesting light fixtures and artwork, and the ceiling had wood beams. The shaded grounds were a joy to walk through. The breakfast was pretty simple (muffins, oatmeal, cereal, toast, etc.) but filling and in a nice dining room. Since the motel is located on a busy road, ask for a room at the back. We were as far back as we could get (near the pool), and we couldn't hear a thing all night. It's definitely not within walking distance of the city center and Plaza, but the drive was easy, and we always found parking. We will definitely book here again when we return to Santa Fe!

• Liked — Charm
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank HeatherHC
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2007

Recently stayed here for 3 nights while on vacation in the area. At first I was put off because the location didn't seem very appealing but once you get off the road and into the property properly it is really lovely.
Property is centred around a nice garden and pool area. Has good facilities including a gym and laundry. Propery is made up of a number of different blocks each with their own charm. It appears to be very well designed because there was no noise leaking in either from the road or from other rooms.
Breakfast was good with a wide selection and lovely staff.
Would highly recommend staying here is you are visiting Santa Fe.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank Catherine-Dublin
Denver CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2007

Spent two nights at this delightful motel. Should be called a resort, beautiful grounds and individually decorated rooms, an oasis on a long road trip.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank sinlimey
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

Although the El Rey is a short distance from downtown, it is one of the most charming properties in Santa Fe. A 1930's "motor court" that has been transformed into a lush and lovely motel, El Rey's gardens, patios and pool are nothing short of marvelous. Rooms are southwestern and funky comfortable; many have corner fireplaces.. All amenities are included, and the continental breakfast (inside or outside) is excellent. Staff is exceedingly friendly and helpful. You can literally park right outside your door. Skip the exorbitant prices of the downtown hotels and enjoy El Rey's calm and peaceful ambiance.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank SnowmassCOtraveler
nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2007

We returned from a four day stay at the El Rey Inn. Overall impression of the hotel is that it is safe, clean, and has a helpful and friendly staff. Every positive description I read on the Trip Advisor was true. The room was clean, and yes, it was a bit dark, but that was fine for us since we didn't spend much time in the room. My kids loved the pool.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank on_the_road_from_nyc
Baltimore MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2007

The El Rey Inn was an interesting place to stay in ; it was a throw back to a more quaint time in history. It is an original Route 66 hotel that is beautifully maintained.

Our room was immaculate and tastefully designed in Spanish/Mexican decor. The room was dark, however, even with lighting.

My husband and I enjoyed the pool and whirlpool which was very clean.

There was attention to detail at the El Rey. There was a sitting room and also gardens about that were very colorful. You could hear chirping birds in the morning. You would never know you were located on a busy thoroughfare.

The continental breakfast was very good, not the typical ones in hotel chains. There was a server that assisted you and everything was done with precision.

One of your readers was right; it was a "Birkenstock" crowd there. The clientele seemed rather formal as opposed to animated. Beats a bunch of rowdies, I suppose.

The staff was courteous and we learned from them you could take the transit bus to Santa Fe to beat the traffic which was a godsend since Cerillos Road is extremely busy. For $1 and seniors .50, you could ride to downtown Santa Fe in no time. It was great.

There was a computer in the sitting room where one could access their email for free and the El Rey had a selection of books that guests could borrow.

My husband and I enjoyed the El Rey, but the next time we may stay near the Plaza in Santa Fe since it was difficult to get onto Cerillos Road and it is a busy thoroughfare. It is hard to make a right turn out of the property as well as a left turn into the property.

Santa Fe was great and unique city. We explored the Capitol which was an experience in itself, bought some wonderful quality jewelry and had some delicious meals.

Try the Ore House which is directly across the plaza for drinks and Mexican fare.

The Plaza was lively and wonderful with a band playing in the park.

• Liked — The rates and the decor.
  • Disliked — Location, although convenient, the area is old and it looks like around the El Rey it is in decline.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Rona22