“Experienced racism at the Wheelwright Museum” 1 of 5 stars

Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian
Ranked #23 of 249 things to do in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The museum features changing exhibitions of contemporary and historic Native American art with an emphasis on the Southwest.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Experienced racism at the Wheelwright Museum”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I attended the Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian along with my senior-aged retired parents. My family is African-American. Although the exhibit was beautiful, and the receptionist was kind and friendly, upon going to downstairs to the shop, we were treated rudely. The women who worked in the shop glared at us upon entering the shop, did not greet us, and simply stared at us the whole time we looked around. To add insult, a security guard came into the shop and walked around staring at my father, which made my mother and I uncomfortable. This was an unfortunate experience and I would not go back.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mia W

Fairfield, Connecticut
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Wheelwright Museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Museum is nice and small. Nice view from outside, and beautiful sculptures as well.
Shop is very worthwhile, non generic stuff, good selection, decently priced.

Visited April 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“smaller than i thought; however, great trading post”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Upon entering, receptionist explained that the shape was that of a hogan & that one began from the east, which I had not noticed. The admission is donation-based. The exhibit at the time was a blanket collection from Durango- informative & interesting. Downstairs was a trading post, from which one can learn more about the arts created from the different pueblos. When most of the other museums in town & on the Hill were closed, I appreciated the opportunity to have been able to visit this one.

Visited May 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Tiny”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The gift shop is larger than the exhibits. We went to the museum, mainly because my friend is Native American and interested in arts, culture, etc. Other than a few blankets there really wasn't much to see. I was actually kind of embarrassed, because I was the one who has suggested it based on its web site and other reviews. Driving there from downtown took longer than actually visiting. We could have used that time better at another attraction. I did check the web site, but did not realize that the featured special exhibit was really the only exhibit. If you are interested in going, check the web site first; if the main exhibit is not what you are primarily interested in, don't go.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Suby88
Santa Fe, New Mexico
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 210 helpful votes
“little jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

this is a wonderful small museum that has a limited but very high quality exhibition schedule. Shows are always beautifully curated and installed, with informative narration. The big bonus here is the trading post downstairs; it contains a spectacular array of native arts and is served by an informed and friendly staff.

Lovely setting on Museum Hill. Great spot for a picnic lunch.

Visited June 2013