“Unpleasant experience”

Ranked #23 of 46 Spas & Wellness in Santa Fe
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a spa in downtown Santa Fe because I didn't have a car. I wanted a pedicure. Based on the name I chose this one. I walked and walked and then couldn't find it because the address was 614 on Google but the address was actually 624, around a corner and not visible from my direction. I finally found it and told the proprietor I wasn't feeling well and got lost because of the address error. She was unfriendly and told me I was wrong about the address error and to show her. I told her I didn't feel like looking it up again then. I wanted a pedicure and she put my feet in warm water with hot rocks for a couple of minutes. Then she started trying to take off the polish. I told her it was gel. She said they didn't work with gels and couldn't do it. She said they had a special on half hour massages for $35. Since I had walked so far and was exhausted I said yes even though I had a massage scheduled for Ojo Caliente two days later. Prudence did a nice job but when I checked out the proprietor charged me $15 extra for a foot cleaning. That was about the lamest thing I've ever encountered. All I wanted was a $35 pedicure and ended up with a $65 bill for services I didn't really want. She tried to be nice in giving me directions back to my hotel but I was disgusted by then. The place is in a small house, nothing special and definitely not something tourists are looking for. It was my worst experience of an otherwise lovely visit to northern New Mexico.

3  Thank JudyM00re

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I went there yesterday for a pedicure. I had had an unpleasant experience before my arrival at the spa - When I mentioned the experience I received the impression that negativity in any form was not allowed at this place also my pedicure is awful very unprofessional I will never go there again even though I've prepaid two more sessions.

2  Thank GraceIsabell
Reviewed July 13, 2013

What a miserable experience - and then to be charged an outrageous fee of $55 plus gratuity when checking out truly added insult to injury. For a pedicure, you sit in a hot back room with no fan or even a breeze from an open window, in an uncomfortable chair with your feet soaking in a kitchen bowl. What a shock when the manicurist reaches for a used emory board - so disgusting - and then the procedure continues to go downhill from there. Several basic steps were skipped entirely, and the ones that were attempted were totally inadequate -- old nail polish remained, my nails were not trimmed until I got home and did so myself, and just a drop of lotion was massaged on both feet for less than 30 seconds. They have alot of nerve charging the fees that they do for such a poor excuse for a pedicure. My first mistake was providing a credit card number when making the appointment .... my biggest mistake, however, was not walking out when I realized what an inadequate spa I had stumbled into.

4  Thank Jackie204
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I can forgive most anything when it comes to massages and massage locales and the details of our actual experience at this "spa" are not really relevant at this point. What is still relevant, however, is that I made the mistake of giving the owner my credit card information over the phone in order to, as she stated, "assure that we showed up at the appointed time" (we were 10 minutes early, the lights were off and it was freezing).

Before we were even halfway through with our treatments, my daughter notified her massage therapist directly, and the owner by phone, that we were not happy with the services and experience. In fact, for my daughter, it was not just dissatisfaction, it was absolute outrage. I didn't realize at the time that my credit card had already been charged almost $400!

Over the last 3 months, the owner told me, repeatedly, that our agreed-upon refund had been credited back to my bank account. Each time I contacted her about the fact that the money had not been credited, she had some type of excuse - "I thought someone else had taken care of it", "family emergency", "new faulty credit card machine", etc. Now she has actually reneged on the agree-upon refund.

Santa Fe is full of places to have lovely spa experiences, run by ethical, professional, trustworthy, honest owners. This is not one of them. We made a big mistake.”

7  Thank Momkara