“Santa Fe Opera tailgate” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe

Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe
Ranked #5 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Golden, Colorado
“Santa Fe Opera tailgate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I was very fortunate to partake in the resort's first ever tailgate dinner for the Santa Fe Opera opening night 2014. What an incredible experience. Our group of ten people were shuttled to the opera house for a backstage tour beforehand and then escorted to an incredible setting in a tent in the parking lot. The tailgate party is quite a legend for opera goers and the Four Seasons staff and chef Andrew Cooper did not disappoint for their first time. We were served a four course meal based on the opera (Carmen) along with a glass of champagne, a signature cocktail, and some incredible wine. The whole experience was unbelievable and I highly recommend the package. An incredible event for opera lovers.

The Four Seasons Rancho Encantado property is perfect in every way - the casitas are comfortable, quiet, well stocked, and have gorgeous views. The staff is top notch for service and will accommodate any request. I was also fortunate to have one of the best massages I have ever had at the spa. They are very dog-friendly also. Be sure to position yourself at the outdoor fire pit for a sunset cocktail.

This place is very special to me.

Room Tip: Choose an upper level casita for stellar views and sunrises/sunsets.
2 Thank Elizabeth G
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Greetings from Santa Fe!

I am thrilled beyond words to read that your Opera Tailgate experience with our amazing Chef Cooper here at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado exceeded your expectations! As you mentioned our Opera nights are legendary and have become a yearly tradition with some patrons. We have an amazing partnership with the Santa Fe Opera and having such luxuries as back stage tours and tailgate parties are what make the Opera Season so special! I completely agree with you that our casita's are comfortable and cozy, especially with the fireplace, as well as our service being top notch. Our staff takes great pride in what they do, and I will definitely pass on your kind words to our staff. We consider all of our guests as friends of the resort and I would love to personally greet you on your next trip to Santa Fe.

Cindy Racco,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Arlington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We were here for 5 nights and loved it! Each casita is private, has beautiful views, fireplace, large tub, shower, comfortable beds, patio with table and lounge chairs! We were here for a business program and the food that was prepared for us was excellent - they took great care of us, the staff at the resort is wonderful!

Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Rhodymom2012
Dear Rhodymom2012,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Santa Fe!

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit - everything from your room, the beds, fireplace, tub and more to the food in Terra Restaurant! And especially important to us, our service! Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated. We are always extremely delighted to hear such positive feedback from our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your impressions from your visit. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you back to Santa Fe!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The resort is a little ways from town, but we never felt like leaving because we enjoyed our casita (#59) and the facilities so much. The service was impeccable, especially for in-room dining. Our casita was luxurious, spacious, and very private, and it had a lovely sunset view. The pool is very nice, with a full service for food and drinks. The fitness center is minimal but has a little of everything. We didn't use the spa or yoga room. The restaurant and bar are very good with a nice variety, so you don't have to go to town. We did find the southwestern and Mexican dishes to be very bland, which was disappointing for being in the land of Hatch chiles. Overall it's difficult to find fault with any part of it; it was a marvelous place to spend our romantic and peaceful honeymoon.

Room Tip: Sunset casita #59 is at a higher elevation, has an enclosed patio, and a great sunset view. It'...
1 Thank Valerie R
Dear Valerie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and I appreciate your feedback. We are so pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy our beautiful pool and amazing views! Our resort is the perfect destination for a relaxing and luxurious honeymoon getaway, Congratulations! I am very pleased you enjoyed Terra Restaurant & Bar, I will pass on your kind words as well as your suggestions to our Chef and kitchen staff! We are very proud of our employees who are professional, caring people and are committed to ensuring our guests a true Four Seasons experience. I will share your comments with the rest our team, as there is no greater motivator than the praise of a “job well done”. Thank you again for taking the time to share your impressions from your visit. We hope that we have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to the Four Seasons Rancho Encantado Santa Fe in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We have been to Santa Fe on several occasions and stay within walking distance of the plaza, but this time we wanted to do something different. Looking for a little more privacy and peace, a nicer spa, better food, room etc. We opted for The Four Seasons, as they are known for all of these things.
We were not disappointed.
It's still very close to the plaza, but I can't compare it with any other spot in Santa Fe. It's just lovely. The rooms are actually casitas with fireplaces, huge bathrooms and outdoor seating areas (perfect for listening to an afternoon rain shower or watching a lightening show.)
We did a hike nearby that had a waterfall, can't recall the name. Also, toured a wonderful 600 year old pueblo village.
The spa is very much a Four Seasons spa. Beautiful, private outdoor hot tub followed by a relaxing massage.
The staff was warm and friendly, to be expected at this sort of place.
Loved the outdoor fire pit at sunset and unique drink menu.
It was just what we were looking for and I found myself thinking about when we could get back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Greetings from the Land of Enchantment!

I am so pleased to hear about your wonderful stay with us here at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! We have an amazing staff and I am thrilled to hear about the great visit you had at the spa! We are all very proud of our staff who are professional, caring people and are committed to ensuring our guests a true Four Seasons experience. Our casitas are quite gorgeous and the peacefulness of the surroundings do lend themselves to a relaxing and truly memorable stay, I have always thought the addition of the fireplaces and 100 gallon tubs are just a few of the unique features that make our rooms special. Thank you for your kind words and I hope to be able to personally greet you on your next visit to the City Different!

Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed at this property for three nights in June 2014 and really enjoyed it. The concierge did a wonderful job of arranging delivery of our rental car directly to the resort, saving us a trip to the other side of the Santa Fe area to pick it up. We also really enjoyed the free, one-day rental of a Mercedes convertible that we used to take a beautiful drive to Taos.

The casitas have all you'd expect at a Four Seasons, although the standard rooms would be a bit cramped for a family of four (we're a family of three). The restaurant was excellent, and room service arrived with our breakfast on the last day in about ten minutes.

I'd also recommend taking the hike around the hotel grounds for some marvelous views.

On the whole, I would highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room if you want more of a view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Gil A
Greetings from Santa Fe!

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit - everything from your room, Terra Restaurant, concierge, the morning hike, and especially our service. We are always excited to hear that our guests have an opportunity to get out and see the beauty of New Mexico, and we are glad you could utilize the Mercedes convertible to see the sights! Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated. We are always extremely delighted to hear such positive feedback from our guests.

Cindy Racco
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Four Seasons Rancho Encatado was all that we expected in a luxury resort and more! The grounds are breathtaking and the service is impeccable! We have stayed at luxury resorts all over the world & have found Four Seasons Rancho Encatado to be one of our favorites. We throughly enjoyed the staff & love the GM reception in which we were cordially introduced to the resort's management. Chef Cooper is brilliant & never disappoints with his culinary genius creations. The rooms, staff & grounds are Four Seasons worthy and we enjoyed every minute on this property. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Catherine J
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Greetings from Santa Fe!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review from your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated. I am so pleased that your visit to the property was enjoyable. I completely agree with your kind comment about our Executive Chef Andrew Cooper he is brilliant! We are all very proud of our staff who are professional, caring people and are committed to ensuring our guests a true Four Seasons experience. I am so glad that you enjoyed the GM Reception! They are a great way to share our local artists with our guests for a truly unique, personal experience. I will share your comments with the rest our team, as there is no greater motivator than the praise of a “job well done”. We value your patronage to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado and hope to have an opportunity to have you as one of our guests on your next visit to Santa Fe.
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

In celebration of my wife and I's 25th wedding anniversary, I planned a whirlwind trip of the desert southwest that was to include stays at the top rated hotel/resorts in the area. I wanted first class accommodations that offered first class amenities with a certain amount of privacy.

Our destinations were Scottsdale. AZ and Santa Fe, NM. My choice for Scottsdale was the # 1 rated resort as deemed by Trip Advisor. And it was perfect in every way. I cannot say enough good things about it. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience by resort professionals who know how to get it right. But this review is not about the Scottsdale resort. I have review it in another post on Trip Advisor. This review sadly, is about the disappointing experience that is the "Four Seasons" Resort Rancho Encantado, Santa Fe.

My wife and I were in search of a somewhat remote, private location in Santa Fe that offers serenity along with close proximity to what Santa Fe has to offer. The Rancho Encantado provides that. It is in a fairly remote location but still within a 10-minute drive or so to old Santa Fe. The surrounding area of the resort is quiet and representative of the high desert. In that regard we were pleased with the location.

Upon arrival to the resort we were not greeted by anyone in the designated "valet" area as is the norm at a "5-star resort". We made our way to the front desk of a small, unimpressive lobby where we were greeted by a friendly face who welcomed us to the resort. Let me say this: Most everyone we encountered could not have been any more gracious or friendly. The staff is extremely bright and cheery. But I have encountered bright, cheery staff at a Days Inn. We came here to be pampered but experienced a less than first class facility. Let me explain...

Upon checkin we were given no information about what the resort had to offer...only a one-sheet paper map where our room was circled to designate its location. A young man did appear and offered to escort us to our room. Again, he was very friendly. We piled back into our vehicle and followed him to our room (casita) location where he took our bags and escorted us to our room which was located on the second floor of a "quad" of rooms. The handrail up to our room featured a huge bird dropping stain for the duration of our stay that ironically became somewhat representative of our Rancho Encatado experience. Our balcony view was another casita, once you stood up to look over the balcony railing that was covered with a dirty canvass. We also made friends with a huge spider and its web on the balcony that greeted us each day of our stay. I am convinced a maid has never seen this balcony.

The room is fairly well-appointed but frankly, nothing special. The closet is very large and the room features a wood-burning fireplace that I'm sure is quite romantic on cool evenings. The bathroom has a heated floor which is a nice touch. The shower was fantastic. But aside from that, the room is no nicer that your standard Hyatt Place.

Upon settling into the room, I was stunned to find no information whatsoever about the resort's amenities. There was absolutely nothing inside the room in the way of a Directory of Services or any information about the surrounding area. If I had not done my research, I would have no clue that the resort had a spa, a pool, or a restaurant. But even though I was aware the facility has these amenities, there was NOTHING in the room that offered information on them. What services does the resort offer? How much are the services? How do I contact them? Who do I call? What is the number? When are they open? Nothing. Again, just a paper map is all we were given at checkin.

There were two phones in the room, one of which did not work. And this was the phone that had "dummy" buttons for room service, the spa, housekeeping, etc. But since there was nothing in the room that listed services or their extension numbers, with a broken phone there was no way to know how to contact anyone. So all we could do was dial zero anytime we needed anything and wait to be redirected to who we were wishing to contact.

The lone TV in the room did not feature the standard "Hotel Channel" that allows you to explore the hotel's services, order a movie, check your balance, and check out. This is a 5-star resort???

We live on the east coast and admittedly our eating schedule was still a little goofed up on the first night of our arrival so we ordered a meal from the all-night menu at @ 11pm. The menu for that time of night is a bit limited but we understand that, so no big deal. We ordered hot sandwiches and fries and proceeded to wait...and wait...and wait. After an hour wait, a young man appeared at our door who handed us a tray featuring two uncovered plates with stone cold food and split. No offer to set it up inside the room, no inquiry if we need anything else or if things looked satisfactory. Maybe he was just embarrassed and was looking to make a clean getaway.

The next morning after our arrival, we thought we'd check out the pool. We knew there was a pool because we saw it on our little paper map. But after witnessing grass and other debris floating in the pool, we elected to pass and just went back to the room.

Another thing to note is the parking area is a bit of a distance from the accommodations. The facility also apparently allows contractors to park in prime guest parking areas and the spaces near our casita were taken by landscaper trucks and grout repair contractors. This is a 5-star resort???

We dined in the Terra restaurant on-site on a couple of occasions: one dinner and two breakfasts. We knew there was a restaurant because we saw it on our little paper map. Our dinner server was a bit inattentive initially but then got his act together and did a nice job. Our meals were mediocre but the patio view made up for them and was enjoyable. Our breakfasts were better and the folks serving us were very friendly and attentive. We dined on the pleasant patio area for our two breakfasts as well during our stay. Perhaps it's petty to point this out, but we sat at the same table both mornings. There was a crumpled napkin and half of a Splenda packet underneath the table when we sat at this location the first time. Over 24 hours later, the same crumbled napkin and half a Splenda packet were still there. This is a 5-star resort???

I have stayed at Four Seasons hotels and resorts all over the country and have come to enjoy first class, 5-star service at each of them. But the sub-par experience at the Four Seasons Rancho Encantado should leave Four Seasons' corporate embarrassed to associate themselves with this glorified Days Inn. Ironically, this facility was the most expensive of any resort we stayed for our 25th Anniversary trip but by far, the most disappointing. I'm willing to pay the @ $600 a night for an outstanding, first class experience. We received that experience at the other locations we stayed on our trip. But not so at the Four Seasons Rancho Encatado. I should have heeded the other less than glowing reviews. Four Seasons Resort Encatado should be prosecuted for fraud. It's all about attention to detail and this resort has none.

Does Four Seasons Corporate know about this place?

Room Tip: If you are in search of a secluded location, this facility provides that. If you are looking for a...
    • 1 of 5 stars
6 Thank jayski45
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Greetings from Santa Fe,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review regarding your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize that we were not able to make your stay with us an exceptional one. We take all of the comments we receive from our guests seriously and use them as a learning tool in order for us to find new ways to improve the overall product and service delivery we provide to our guests. If there is anything else I can do pleases do not hesitate to reach out and I would be happy to speak with you further regarding your stay.

Cindy Racco