“This was our second visit and we wish it was still managed by Auberge and not the Four Seasons!”

Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe
Ranked #11 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed here right after it opened in 2008 as an Auberge resort. As loyal customers of Four Seasons, we are disappointed that few changes have been made, and in some cases, the resort has more shortcomings. The tragic design of the resort notwithstanding, (every room has a great view of the parking lot and other common buildings) this resort is somewhat lacking. To be fair, this property has many fine attributes, but it just is not up to Four Seasons standards and not worth the price.

We checked in very early and dropped off our luggage. We informed the staff at the check in desk we would be back later in the day. When we returned, the luggage had already been transferred to our room which was great. However, the official check in was rather amateurish as we were not informed about any of the resort amenities or any other information. The staff is polite but not necessarily warm, welcoming and friendly. It is a rather young and not particularly seasoned staff in general. To be fair, some of the staff was very eager to please and very accommodating, but that was the exception rather than the norm. I did ask that a birthday cake be presented to my partner the first night we ate in the restaurant, and sure enough, my request was fulfilled.

Our suite was completely unchanged from our first visit six years ago. They are very spacious and comfortable. We did have a few issues with deferred maintenance as the shower head was so calcified that the water flow was severely compromised and the heated floors in the bathroom did not work. The bed was very comfortable but the pillows seemed very flat and cheap. A fire concierge is still available to start the fire, and that it is still a nice feature.

The restaurant is still excellent. The service and food quality are probably the best features. The shuttle service to Santa Fe still operates and is very convenient. However, there is no longer a nice lounge where you are dropped off and picked up in Santa Fe. That was a nice feature when operated by Auberge. Also, all of the drinks in the suites and rooms were complimentary until the Four Seasons assumed management. The landscaping has grown in nicely and the Four Seasons did build nice paths on the property. And a partial privacy wall has been added to the patio areas so that it blocks the view to the parking lots which still dominate the grounds.

As I said in my initial review, this “resort” has the feel of an upscale apartment complex or nice corporate housing. In fact, the “corporate” Four Seasons ethos is prevalent throughout the property. The resort has little charm, warmth and character. It feels, looks and is run like a Four Seasons business hotel. This is a fine property if you are not looking for a great deal of amenities. The pool is tiny, the gym is very basic and the spa is almost invisible. We were not even asked if we had any interest in a spa treatment. There is no management presence whatsoever. Even after 3 days at an almost empty resort, none of the staff bothered to learn our names.

If you need a nice suite or room for a few days, don’t mind the steep price and expect little in the way of service or amenities, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Thomas B
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Greetings from the Land of Enchantment!

We appreciate your continuous support and loyal patronage to Rancho Encantado.. Thank you for taking the time out to review us on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay and providing us with such valuable feedback. Please know that at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado, we take every comment and feedback very seriously as a learning opportunity to improve our overall product and service that we provide. Even though I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the restaurant and landscaping enhancements, I was disappointed to see that we were unable to make your second visit to Rancho Encantado exceptional. I would like an opportunity to speak to you personally regarding your stay with us. Once again, thank you for your feedback and do not hesitate to contact me directly.

505-946-5801

There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We loved our visit to Santa Fe and the beauty the surrounds this 4 seasons. The service is the best in the world. Our room was spacious and comfortable. I loved the fireplace! I hope to return again...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank four-from-nc
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

I am so happy to read that you loved your visit to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! Thank you for taking the time to review your stay from your recent visit. You have paid us the highest compliment with “the service is the best in the world” comment and I cannot thank you enough for your kind words! I hope you make the time to come and visit us again the sooner the better! I will make sure to share your feedback with the rest of the team. Once again, I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort – sooner rather than later!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Very good for the value compare to other 5 start around the world. A very nice choice for a family vacation. Love the remote location but still close to town and good skiing. Rooms are very nice and confortable with real fire places, much nicer than the common areas. We had no issues with the fire place or the views (no views from our casita , a tasteful fence porch). Beautiful fabrics and furnishings. Terrific turn down service. Ice bucket at 4:00 pm on the bar of the room without requesting it is a WOW... A plate of fruits was missing along with fresh flowers.

Yes there is a noise issue but for a family with kids , a dog and coming from apartment living in NYC was not a big deal. You will hear steps from the above if you use the lower floor casita. It did not bother us at all. Love , love the cement floors and would prefer to hear the noise than a carpet.

Highly recommended we had a good time!

Room Tip: Get a room close to the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TATE58

Greetings from the City Different!

Thank you for choosing Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your enchanting get-away from your “apartment living in NYC”. I will share you compliments and kind words to the rest of the team. The décor of our resort is dedicated to our surroundings of the Southwest along with the tasteful fence porch which are called, coyote fencing. While I’m thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful stay, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for your missing fruit plate along with your fresh flowers. Please know that we take all of our guests’ feedback very seriously as it is a learning tool for us to better our overall product and service that we provide to all of our guests. Once again, thank you for your time and feedback. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort when you are ready to take another break from your NYC lifestyle!

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights as part of a road trip across New Mexico. The resort is about a 15 minute drive from downtown Santa Fe, but we couldn't have been happier with the beautiful location. It was quiet with lovely scenic views, and we really liked the private hiking trail--Camino Encantado. On our first night at the resort, we had dinner plans downtown and were very grateful for the complimentary SUV service to the restaurant and back. Our driver was super flexible with our pick-up time which was awesome! Thank you! Even though we had a car, we were able to have a couple of cocktails knowing that we wouldn't have to navigate through an unknown town at night. Another one of our nights there, we had planned on drinks at the bar followed by dinner at Terra, but the vibe at the bar (with great sunset views and a fire pit on the patio) was so relaxing that we ended up staying for dinner, which was delicious. Highly recommend the blue corn trout fish and chips! Also loved our room. The fireplaces (one indoor, one outdoor) definitely got a lot of use and the soaking tub was amazing. All of the staff members we encountered were very warm and welcoming. Likewise, the other guests all seemed chilled-out and happy! Overall, such a relaxing place, can't wait to return in the summer to use what looked like a great pool area!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cpmlmm
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you for choosing and sharing your experience from your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! Our resort’s “lovely scenic views” is part of the charm and idyllic lifestyle of Santa Fe. It was pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your time with us and I will be sure to share your compliments to the rest of our team. Once again, thank you for your review and compliments. We cannot wait for your return this summer!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I chose the Four Seasons Santa Fe for our 20th anniversary vacation. We loved the location and extremely large, cozy room complete with its own fireplace. The front desk staff was fantastic and offered great suggestions for daily adventures in New Mexico. The food on property was delicious and we enjoyed having cocktails outside by the firepit. The hotel also provides free transportation to and from restaurants in town which made getting around so convenient. The pool area was small but beautiful and relaxing with great service. We had great massages at the spa which also was very tranquil and special. Overall, we would recommend a stay here in Santa Fe without a doubt.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank acks4

Greetings from the Land of Enchantment!

Thank you for choosing Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado to celebrate your 20th Anniversary and congratulations! We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your celebration vacation with us. Our goal is to provide our guests with the excellent level of service that our brand is known for. Once again, thank you for your time and compliments. We wish you both a lifetime of happiness and please keep us in mind the next time your travel takes you back to Santa Fe!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I attended a two-day meeting at the resort and wish I could have stayed longer. The casitas are quite lovely with heated floors in the bathroom, a 100-gallon tub, walk-in shower, indoor and outdoor fireplaces, as well as a private patio. The resort offers a fireplace butler; you can schedule a time for the fireplace to be lit and it's ready for you when you get back to your casita.

Award-winning Chef Andrew Cooper is amazing. He created an 8-course meal for our group ranging from pinion-smoked quail to pan-seared scallops with duck foie gras ravioli. The food is extraordinary! Chef Cooper's presentation was beautiful and his stories made for a great experience. Order the parsnip soup!

The resort has 65 casitas on 57 acres, a full-service spa, one restaurant (Terra) and adventure excursions. It's a short 15-minute drive from downtown Santa Fe. If given the opportunity, I would highly recommend staying at the resort for a couple of nights.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
7  Thank TheZimms
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! Our resort not only offerings total tranquility, peace and breathtaking views of Northern New Mexico, but it’s also a great place for conference services and much more! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your “two-day meeting” at our resort! It also sounds like you were able to savor our Executive Chef Cooper’s new winter dishes as well. Your kind words will be shared with Andrew and the rest of the team, as there’s no greater motivator then a job well done. We hope to see you back with us on a more leisure visit sooner rather than later!

Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband and were really looking forward to staying at the Four Seasons Rancho Encantado as a part of our anniversary trip to Santa Fe. My biggest takeaways from our stay: phenomenal location but the room quality was more of a Hilton/Hyatt type standard, especially for the price. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind staying at a Hilton or Hyatt - but when paying Four Seasons rates, I expected a lot more.

LOCATION: 5 star. This is a wonderful place to stay if you really want to get away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Santa Fe and just enjoy beautiful hikes and clear starry nights. It's only 20 minutes away so shopping and restaurants are still within easy reach.

NOISE: The reviews about room noise are dead on - if you are in a lower-level room, your upstairs neighbors will sound like a herd of trampling elephants, whether they mean to or not. If you are staying in an upstairs room, you basically have to tip toe in order to not offend the people below you. The lack of soundproofing is pretty ridiculous for such a high-end resort. To add insult to injury, the resort charges substantially more for an upstairs room. So you get punished if you don't want to pay to "upgrade" to the exact same room (literally) with the exact same view (literally) but upstairs instead of downstairs.

QUALITY: There are only 65 "casitas" but really, the regular casitas are just like large hotel rooms so don't think you're getting some super large, super private accommodation. The wood burning fire place and heated floors are the high points of the room. The bedding and towels are just nice/average, and the toilet paper is super cheap (a pet peeve of mine). The first part of our stay was at the incredibly luxurious Antigua Inn in downtown Santa Fe and unfortunately, it set us up for disappointment at the Four Seasons, which could really learn some lessons about what high-end, luxurious bedding, towels and bath accessories really look and feel like.

FOOD: the dilemma with staying out in the countryside is you don't want to leave the peace and serenity of where you are at. So while we were disappointed with the room quality/noise, we did enjoy the surroundings overall and not wanting to leave, walked over to the restaurant twice during our stay. Both times, the food quality was excellent as was the service.

OVERALL: Maybe this was a case of mismanaged expectations. With this resort being a Four Seasons, I expected a lot of luxury in the accommodations. I don't mean fancy or ornate furnishings, just really high quality - bedding, linens, and QUIET privacy of the accommodations, etc. I didn't get that. What I did get was a nice room with average quality bedding/linens in a beautiful area with good customer service. For the price point, I would have considered staying here again just for the location but given the outrageous noise factor (unless you pay for an upstairs or standalone casita), we most likely will not.

Room Tip: If you are staying here, pay more for the upstairs rooms or you will end up listening to people tram...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Leah H

Dear Leah H:

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on your recent visit to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado. Your feedbacks are greatly appreciated as we use them as a learning tool in order to continuously better on services and over all product that we provide to all of our guests. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our culinary offerings and service at the restaurant; on the other hand, I would like to personally apologize for the challenges that you encountered and speak to you in regards to your recent at your resort. Please find my direct contact information below and I look forward to speaking you soon! Once again, your time and feedback are greatly appreciated.

505-946-5801