We stayed here right after it opened in 2008 as an Auberge resort. As loyal customers of Four Seasons, we are disappointed that few changes have been made, and in some cases, the resort has more shortcomings. The tragic design of the resort notwithstanding, (every room has a great view of the parking lot and other common buildings) this resort is somewhat lacking. To be fair, this property has many fine attributes, but it just is not up to Four Seasons standards and not worth the price.
We checked in very early and dropped off our luggage. We informed the staff at the check in desk we would be back later in the day. When we returned, the luggage had already been transferred to our room which was great. However, the official check in was rather amateurish as we were not informed about any of the resort amenities or any other information. The staff is polite but not necessarily warm, welcoming and friendly. It is a rather young and not particularly seasoned staff in general. To be fair, some of the staff was very eager to please and very accommodating, but that was the exception rather than the norm. I did ask that a birthday cake be presented to my partner the first night we ate in the restaurant, and sure enough, my request was fulfilled.
Our suite was completely unchanged from our first visit six years ago. They are very spacious and comfortable. We did have a few issues with deferred maintenance as the shower head was so calcified that the water flow was severely compromised and the heated floors in the bathroom did not work. The bed was very comfortable but the pillows seemed very flat and cheap. A fire concierge is still available to start the fire, and that it is still a nice feature.
The restaurant is still excellent. The service and food quality are probably the best features. The shuttle service to Santa Fe still operates and is very convenient. However, there is no longer a nice lounge where you are dropped off and picked up in Santa Fe. That was a nice feature when operated by Auberge. Also, all of the drinks in the suites and rooms were complimentary until the Four Seasons assumed management. The landscaping has grown in nicely and the Four Seasons did build nice paths on the property. And a partial privacy wall has been added to the patio areas so that it blocks the view to the parking lots which still dominate the grounds.
As I said in my initial review, this “resort” has the feel of an upscale apartment complex or nice corporate housing. In fact, the “corporate” Four Seasons ethos is prevalent throughout the property. The resort has little charm, warmth and character. It feels, looks and is run like a Four Seasons business hotel. This is a fine property if you are not looking for a great deal of amenities. The pool is tiny, the gym is very basic and the spa is almost invisible. We were not even asked if we had any interest in a spa treatment. There is no management presence whatsoever. Even after 3 days at an almost empty resort, none of the staff bothered to learn our names.
If you need a nice suite or room for a few days, don’t mind the steep price and expect little in the way of service or amenities, this is the place for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Under grand skies and infinite stars, rediscover your inner artist in our intimate escape from the ordinary – nestled in a high-mountain desert landscape, minutes from the magic of Santa Fe, New Mexico. Set in 57 unspoiled acres tucked gently into the Sangre de Cristo foothills, Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe is just 10 minutes from Santa Fe’s galleries, shops and distinctive architecture. The Resort offers 65 casita guest rooms and suites, each with its own fireplace and private terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, Hotwire, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Agoda, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Encantado, An Auberge Hotel Santa Fe
- Encantado Hotel Santa Fe
- Encantado Resort Santa Fe