“Relaxed Luxury at its Best”

Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe
Ranked #11 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here while attending a wedding. While the hotel location is somewhat remote, about 15-20 minutes north of Santa Fe, it was a beautiful setting. The hotel staff was very professional and accommodating - constantly offering to do more. The rooms were very large and well appointed. Our room had a large covered balcony, huge bathroom with soaking tub and separate shower, large closet with built-ins, and a wood burning fireplace. The spa was wonderful and I highly recommend the head to toe message! Although the hotel provides shuttle service into downtown Santa Fe, we did use our rental car for flexibly to come and go as we wished. The setting is very relaxed and so are the employees. It was just a fun place to stay. We will definitely return to this Four Seasons on our next visit to Santa Fe.

Room Tip: Request an upstairs room to take advantage of the beautiful views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cheryl J
Tammy T, Executive Assistant to Cindy Racco at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Cheryl J:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review from your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated. We are so pleased that your visit to the property for your stay was enjoyable. Since our resort is located just right outside of the downtown area it is able to offer our guests the peace and tranquility of northern New Mexico. It pleases me immensely that you were able to enjoy your room accommodations and our 10,000 square feet luxurious spa. We are very proud of our employees who are professional, caring people and are committed to ensuring our guests a true Four Seasons experience. I will share your comments with the rest our team, as there is no greater motivator than the praise of a “job well done”. We value your patronage to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado and hope to have an opportunity to welcome back when your travels bring you back to Santa Fe!

There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I am the owner of a multi-branch Travel Agency with offices in Louisiana and Texas. I traveled to Santa Fe, New Mexico earlier this month to attend the wedding of some friends. The wedding party was confirmed at several hotels in the area. I had booked a block of rooms at the Inn of the Anasazi for some of the guests. My own room was confirmed at the Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado, so on my way there from the airport, I stopped in to check on the group staying at the Inn of the Anasazi. The Inn is located in the center of town, has great rooms and a fabulous restaurant. The Four Seasons in contrast was a let-down. It is located ~ 25 minutes from town in the middle of nowhere. I had been upgraded to a deluxe category room, which underwhelmed me. The rooms at the resort are very spread out. The lighting and signage are not very good, making it difficult to get around the resort at night. My room was located toward the back of the resort and quite a hike from the main lobby. The service at the hotel lacked the typical “5 star” caliber expected of a Four Seasons Virtuoso property, particularly one with only 65 rooms. For example, a guest arriving at the same time I did struggled to carry his own bags as two bellmen looked on. The bellmen finally asked if they could assist after the gentlemen had already handled the bags himself. Another example was the hotel staff failing to deliver gift bags provided by the wedding party which contained an itinerary and instructions for the weekend’s festivities. I was not provided with my gift bag on arrival and almost missed one of the events until another guest alerted me of the shuttle departure time. It was then that I learned of the gift bags and went over to the front desk to retrieve mine. On a positive note, the resort does have a nice lounge and restaurant. Overall, I do not recommend the Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado for a stay in Santa Fe. Its location is too sleepy for my taste and all the activity in Santa Fe centers around the plaza where all the restaurants, galleries and shops are.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank TravelCorp

Dear TravelCorp:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort following your stay with us.
We would like to apologize for the shortfall in services that you encountered during your stay. We only want our guests to experience the absolute best, and we are genuinely sorry this was not the case for you during your visit.

Should you wish to discuss your concerns in more detail, please don’t hesitate to contact me at the number listed below. We take your feedback seriously and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to regain your trust and confidence.

(505) 946-5801

Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was the 10th different Four Seasons we have stayed in and the first time ever we rated our experience as terrible. It all started after the Four Seasons "fire butler" started a fire in our room. We went for a short walk a bit later and when we returned to our room discovered it to be smoke filled. We called the front desk, which apologized and told us to open our windows and sliding door. We noted that our sliding door had no screen on it but were told bugs are not a problem...of course in the next 10 minutes we killed two bugs and a spider. After the smoke failed to dissipate we called the front desk again. They arranged to have the remains of the burning logs removed. Unfortunately the smell of smoke never left our room. We checked out a day early to get away from the smoke smell. Not once did management come and check on the smell in our room. They did not offer any solution to the smell other than open our windows. They never offered to move us to a different room. We felt like we slept two nights next to a camp fire. After we checked out we mailed in the comment card that the Four Seasons asks all its guests to fill out. We explained what happened. Did we hear from the Four Seasons? No. Although it was a smokey experience, I can clearly see how this Four Seasons treats its guests.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jayden
Tammy T, Executive Assistant to Cindy Racco at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Jayden:

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review regarding your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that we caused you during your stay with us. We take all of the comments we receive from our guests seriously and use them as a learning tool in order for us to find new ways to improve the overall product and service delivery we provide to our guests. We understand that there are many choices for you to decide from when traveling to Santa Fe and we appreciate the business and your loyalty to our brand and our resort and we want to make sure that this continues. We hope you will return to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado or any future Four Seasons Worldwide Hotel. With that being said, I would like to speak with you and personally apologize for not making your stay with us an exceptional one, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the number listed below.

505-946-5801

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Amazing property and staff. Best restaurant in SF. Chef Andrew is an amazing, accommodating chef. The location is 5 minutes outside of the plaza, near the opera house. This is one of the best, if not the best resort in Santa Fe.

Ask for a room with an outdoor fireplace and patio. Check out the spa, the massages are good. The pool is great. While there, make sure you go see Tesuque Market for lunch or breakfast.

Also - ask to speak with Chef Andrew, tell him if you are a vegetarian or like asian food or whatever it is - he will give you the best dining experience ever.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view - outdoor fireplace and patio.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank R0cc0_99

Dear R0cc0_99:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and I appreciate your feedback. We are so pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy your room, the Spa and the culinary offerings by Executive Chef Andrew Cooper. We are very proud of our employees who are professional, caring people and are committed to ensuring our guests a true Four Seasons experience. I will share your comments with Andrew and the rest our team, as there is no greater motivator than the praise of a “job well done”. Once again, your time and comments are truly appreciated. We look forward to your next visit to our resort!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a very pleasant, comfortable stay at the Four Seasons over Labor Day weekend. The staff was nothing but friendly, and the room was comfortable and spacious. I especially liked the bathroom with radiant heat concrete floors. The setting here is great, and the trails and roads leading from the hotel are great for a morning hike or run. There is a very nice looking spa, and a great fitness room for those who are looking to stay active while on vacation. We really liked staying outside of town in a rural area, and the chauffeured Mercedes shuttle service to/from town makes the 10 minute drive all the more pleasant. The town of Santa Fe is nice, but there's only so much adobe and turquoise you can see; so it is great to stay in a beautiful setting with numerous additional activities.

The negatives come from the fact that this place didn't seem to quite match the look and feel of a typical Four Seasons property where service and amenities are polished from the second you enter the property. The property seemed a bit understaffed, and some of our arrival and bell hop experience seemed unrehearsed and awkward . We arrived at night and it's a very dark property. The process for getting to our room and our bags to our room in pitch black even with the bell hop's assistance was confusing and definitely not seamless.

The main problem with this hotel though is its design. The buildings and décor are simple and attractive enough (especially after you've grown tired of adobe for days, the simplicity of the design here is nice) but the layout of the resort is terrible. There is no clear pathway to any of the guestrooms from the main building, pool and spa area. TO get from about half of the rooms, to the main building, you have to cross parking lots and pass by the back of the spa building which is not particularly attractive, and not masked with much landscaping. At night way finding signage and footpath lighting is poor at best and makes for a potentially dangerous trek to some of the guest rooms. Some of these flaws cannot be changed, but many can be remedied simply.

The resort should invest in MUCH better wayfinding signage (both when driving into the resort, and for walking around the resort), and perhaps create more pleasant attractive pathways with subtle lighting to and from the main area. It would not take a lot as the natural setting here is really beautiful, and the rustic native landscaping is very nice. The pool area could use a little help too. The lounge chairs and pool are fine, but have large overhead lights that look like parking lot lighting. Furthermore, additional patio seating besides chaise lounges seems an afterthought . There are two tables and chairs (Martha Stewart living brand... at least remove the stickers guys), and a large open patio area that could be made so much more luxurious with different outdoor seating areas created.

I still recommend this hotel, as it has great rooms, a great setting, and very friendly, if at times awkward service, but know before going that the experience here will not be quite as 5-star and seamless luxury as what you may expect from the Four Seasons brand.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank EvanSK85
Tammy T, Executive Assistant to Cindy Racco at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear EvanSK85:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review from your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room, the Spa and the beautiful scenery surrounding our resort. We take all of the comments we receive from our guests seriously and use them as a learning tool in order for us to find new ways to improve the overall product and service delivery we provide to our guests. Please know that the appropriate discussions have taken place in order for us to rectify the issues that you have mentioned. I hope that you can accept my sincere apologies for having missed the opportunity in providing you with excellent and seamless service that Four Seasons is known for. Once again, thank you for taking the time out to write a very detailed review regarding your recent stay with us. I hope to personally welcome you back to the resort the next time your travels bring you to Santa Fe.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Recently enjoyed a 5 night stay in one of the spacious casitas on this property. While the location is a bit isolated it is an easy drive in to Santa Fe. I recommend a rental car as taxi service is a challenge. It was an ideal setting for the conference and we had the entire property to ourselves. The staff were very accommodating even opening the bar for us after normal closing time one night. The meals were consistently high quality and service was good.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank joebftsplk

Dear joebfsplk:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a review from your recent conference visit to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! We appreciate your time and comments. We are always extremely delighted to hear such positive feedback from our guests. Even though our resort is located just right outside of the plaza area, it offers the best views of the Sangre de Cristos mountain ranges and the Jemez rolling hills! As you know our trademark at Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts is excellence in service, and we take this very much to heart. I will be happy to share your feedback with the team. Once again, thank you very for taking the time out to write a review regarding your visit. We hope to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you back to Santa Fe on a more leisure visit.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I was fortunate to join my husband while he attended Rancho Encantado for a conference.
The rooms are carefully set into the grounds, quietly elegant and in keeping with the surrounding desert.
We had indicated when we registered for the conference that I am Celiac. As is my custom, I came prepared with gluten-free snacks, just in case.
I need not have worried, there were options for me for every course, at every meal!
I can honestly say that I have never slept in a more comfortable bed, and need to find the brand name from the management of the resort.
Spa treatments were not in my budget, but I did enjoy the pool, and hiked the surrounding countryside.
There is a shuttle service to whisk you into town, but I was enjoying the peace and quiet and felt no need to leave.
Wi-Fi connections were easily made, and the fire place in our room was a lovely touch.
I am not sure why they are bothering trying to grow grass, it seems a huge waste of money. Perhaps using varying types of stone as a mulch between plantings would be more effective and use less water?
My one and only criticism is the showers. Difficult to figure out, and one small overhead shower head seems kind of blah. Short people would have a hard time reaching it too..
Someday I will return!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Claire422
Tammy T, Executive Assistant to Cindy Racco at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Claire422:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice and very detailed review from your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated. We are so pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate to your dietary restrictions. Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts pride ourselves for providing seamless services to our guests and we are delighted to hear that we were able to meet the expectations. If you would like to take one of our comfortable beds home with you please contact, our Director of Spa, Emily Richey via email emily.richey@fourseasons.com or telephone 505-946-5896 for more information. Please know that the appropriate discussions has taken place in order for us to rectify the shower head issue and we hope you can accept our apologies for the inconvenience that it may have caused you. Once again, your time and comments are truly appreciated. We value your patronage to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado and hope to have an opportunity to have you back at the resort on a leisure visit.