“Maximum-luxury delivered, on crowded resort campus”

Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe
Ranked #11 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Bergen County, New Jersey
“Maximum-luxury delivered, on crowded resort campus”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We spent Thanksgiving week 2011 here, in a Sunset Suite, Room 50. This is a shoulder season for Santa Fe, so we got a large internet discount. The resort was only about half-full.

This is a very luxurious resort, with huge rooms, huger bathrooms, and a vast on-site spa. We didn't use the spa, so I have no report on it. It's not very far from the city, but is definitely out of town - about the same distance again, past the Santa Fe Opera. The resort provides free Mercedes shuttle cars to Santa Fe. They have a shuttle lounge in Santa Fe, but it had closed for season before we arrived.

That was no problem, since we were chauffered directly to and from each restaurant we chose. The drivers were prompt and professional. This makes it possible to enjoy a bottle of wine while you eat in one of the many famous restaurants of Santa Fe. The service is only hourly. I usually tipped the driver $5, but sometimes they were surprised to get a tip. The cars typically depart Encantado on the hour, and pick up at half-past in Santa Fe. You might be glad you brought a flashlight, although Encantado has little light fixtures around the sidewalks.

The biggest issue about this serious-luxury resort is the layout of the property. The area is attractively rural, with only a very few private homes far away, and the mountains in the distance. But it's not a Georgia O'Keefe view, but rather scrubby vegetation. Most rooms have their view dominated by the back of the spa building, and below that, the parking lots. We couldn't see the disc of the sunset from our room, but could see beautiful light on the hills directly in front of us. (We went to the bar for the actual sunset view.) Apparently, this resort, and this state, are pet-friendly. But we could tell (while outside our room) that some guests disobeyed the printed rule not to leave dogs alone in the rooms. Our room was well-kept and attractive. It was nice to have a real thermostat with the climate entirely under our control. WiFi was free and easy to use.

Our vast room had a small southwestern fireplace in the corner, pre-laid, and with extra firestarter cubes. But I couldn't really get the logs burning. I think they were not dry enough. The heated floor in the giant bathroom was sweet, but the computerized time control was kind of like a VCR that keeps flashing "12:00", no matter what you do. We had a lovely balcony, but it was too chilly to spend much time on it. The amount of (beautiful) bare wood floor makes me think you should look for a first-floor noise report in another review before you book a lower room. We had a minibar with complimentary soft drinks, and plenty of alcohol for sale. We were easily able to get our own bottle of wine into the refrigerator. (If you don't finish wine in the resort's Terra Restaurant, they'll store it for your next meal.)

It had snowed three times already, so the oudoor fire pit at the bar was closed, as was the swimming pool. So was the onsite free-standing branch of a downtown Santa Fe art gallery. Evening service at the bar and restaurant was good, but breakfast service seemed confused and slow, even when we were the first arrivals. The food was very good. Our own Garmin GPS had the wrong location for this resort. Make sure you learn where it is before you try to drive here. You will think you're lost, but it's just over 2 miles on NM 592 North, from Exit 172 of 84/285 It's actually conveniently located for destinations like Taos, Abiquiu, Ghost Ranch, and even Los Alamos and Bandelier National Monument. Our Garmin database (I mean, of named attractions) was not very good in Northern New Mexico.

We got superb advice from the Clefs d'Or certified Concierge, Jody. Although she was too professional to say so, we learned that her last day was the day before we left. I hope the next one is half as good! We got printed confirmations of our restaurant reservations, and she made the shuttle-car reservations for us. She found out that Bandelier was open on Thanksgiving, and printed out instructions for the nearby Rio En Medio hiking trail. That trail was suitable for non-outdoors people like us, but trailhead parking is very limited. Go early or be ready to come back another time.

New Mexico travel note: Our travel agent had altitude sickness when she was here. Bu our doctor told us WE were healthy enough that we didn't need any Altitude-Sickness medicine before arriving. He was right. But our room had a cold-mist vaporizer in the closet, and we should have used it every night. The air is drier than an East Coast winter here. Our noses were screaming by the time we got out the vaporizer.

Room Tip: Very few rooms actually have a beautiful view in all directions. The 2nd-floor rooms may be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank obsoperator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
California
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We didn't stay here but I have used their spa many times and loved it. Their staff is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. They really offer 5 star experiences.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Honeyp13
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We have stayed at the Encantado twice, and have eaten at their restaurant a few times. Each visits has been super. The casitas are beautiful- we even got the paint color name from the staff to take home. The restaurant is classy, tasty, and the service is super. The spa is gorgeous, and well appointed if a bit pricey. Only complaint is that the Encantado is a good 20 minutes outside Santa Fe. Just on this basis, I could argue that the Rosewood Anasazi might be a better choice for many out of town guests. But if you value a little isolation and typical New Mexico views, the Encantado is a fine choice.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gate95
Petaluma
Reviewed December 25, 2011

Nice but lacks the whole ambiance of Santa Fe. It feels much more sterile. If you didn't know that you were in Santa Fe, you might have thought you were in Dallas or San Francisco. It's decor is very modern. The buildings have hard edges. Service is great. But it lacks .....something...charm. Not worth even driving out there.

• Stayed December 2011
5 Thank TravelingShasha
Panama City,FL
Reviewed November 18, 2011

This is a luxury resort located within 15 minutes of downtown Santa Fe. The service is friendly and unobtrusive and the spa services are top rate. It's expensive but with a fall special ,breakfast and a $100 resort credit was included. They don't nickle and dime you and include tips for breakfast service which was whatever you wanted and excellent. We were satisfied until dinner after eating a huge meal.
The Sunday New York Times was delivered to our door and plenty of wood to burn in our kiva fireplace. The trails leading up the mountains allowed us to work off the breakfast before we borrowed one of their Mercedes convertibles to explore the area. There is plenty to do including just relaxing in the confortable room while praying for snow.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank pablito
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed at the Encantado in August 2011 and I was quite disappointed. I had been eager to try it because it is conveniently located just a short drive from the Santa Fe Opera, and because I had stayed at the Calistoga Ranch (also an Auberge Resort) in the spring, and I hoped for a similar level of quality. The decor in the rooms is southwestern minimalist, which I like, and the bathroom and closets are huge. However, what other reviewers say about ugly views of the parking lot and being able to hear footsteps and conversations in adjoining rooms is completely true . . . and I was in an upper-level room. The property, which is just over a year old, was actually constructed so that most of the guest rooms surround the parking lot! How anyone could have planned so poorly in such a beautiful natural setting is beyond me. The food is entirely unremarkable -- though I didn't eat in the restaurant, I had a very average shrimp quesadilla by the pool, and scrambled eggs for breakfast in my room. I do still wonder why those eggs arrived with a pitcher of honey. (Folks, this is not some sort of custom here in New Mexico. Honey is for sopapillas.) I had a treatment at the spa, which was nice, though I still think Ten Thousand Waves is the best in Santa Fe. The fitness room was a huge disappointment -- although there are in fact two fitness rooms on the property, mere mortals are only allowed access to one of them, where all the workout machines and weights are. When I ventured into the other room -- a vast empty space where yoga classes are held and Bosus, mats, and other equipment are stored -- I was shooed away by a very smart alecky instructor who had a private client in one corner of the room. He reluctantly offered me a deflated Bosu and a mat, and told me I had to take them into the other space. Well, there was barely enough room to put down a mat in there between the weight machines and the door -- if anyone had walked in while I was trying to do my situps, they would have stepped on my head. This same guy had also greeted me earlier that morning when I arrived in the fitness area to begin my workout by saying that I would have to get up earlier next time not to miss the yoga class, which had just ended. "Hello" or "good morning" would have been much better, especially since I had demonstrated no intention or desire to attend his yoga class. At the time, I mistook him for an impolite guest, and I'm sorry that he turned out to be a staff member. But that little incident was a minor irritation compared to what happened to my car the first night of my stay. It was sprayed by a sprinkler, and got covered in hard water spots to such an extent that it was difficult to see through the windshield. I was livid, especially since my car was just a few months old. To their credit, the manager on duty at the front desk and the general manager of the hotel handled the whole situation with great courtesy, and they reimbursed me for the $300 cost of having the water spots removed within a few weeks. I would have much preferred that my nice car not be damaged in the first place, though. So if you do stay at this hotel, park your car against the fence, far away from any sprinklers, or this could happen to you, too. Better yet, leave your Lexus at home. . . or drive it to another hotel!

Room Tip: If you are seated rather than standing on your second-floor balcony, you will not be able to see the...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank abqtarheel
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Wife and I stayed for 3 nights in late October. On past trips to Santa Fe we've stayed close to the plaza, this time we decided to try something different and were glad that we did. The rooms (Casitas) at the Encantado are large and luxurious. Comfortable, with enough space to relax in the room and read. We enjoyed the amenities like free K-cup coffee and wi-fi that worked very well. The wood burning Kiva is a great feature too. The staff was welcoming and very attentive. Another great feature was the large gym and spa. My only minor gripe is that with the out of town location you are captive to their food which is very expensive (but excellent.) $28 a person for in room breakfast is a bit over the top. We thought the base Casita was the best option, the "view" Casitas are just the 2nd story so I can't imagine the view being all that superior. Bottom line is we enjoyed the Encantado and will stay here again on our next trip to Santa Fe.

Room Tip: #55 is a bottom floor Casita with no room above.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple