“The highlight of our trip!”

Backdoor Kitchen & Catering
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Spokane, Washington
“The highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

The Backdoor Kitchen is definitely worth the trouble it takes to find. We both had the scallops with rice cakes and were blown away by the flavors and textures. Can't rate them highly enough! For desert we had the coconut cream pie and the bittersweet chocolate cake with raspberries. Both were excellent. The only disappointment was the coffee. It was 9 pm and what I was served was clearly the bottom of a pot that should have been dumped and replaced with fresh. No amount of cream made it drinkable.

All in all a very enjoyable evening. Should I ever return to Friday Harbor I'll plan on a dinner here.

Denver
“Delicious, nice ambience and you get a lot of food for the price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2010

We went to Back Door Kitchen finally. When we have been to FH other times it seems hit or miss on whether they are open so I would definitely check ahead of time especially if you visit in the off season. The food was very good and you get a large portion for the price. Both my husband and I felt the portion was too large. However it is definitely in the top 3 restaurants that I have been to on the island and probably the most affordable if you are on a $25-30 budget and are just ordering an entree. The special drinks are delicious but be willing to pay $9-10 dollars. I had the Nasturtium drink and if you like lemon tart it was great. We paid about $100.00 for our meal but we had apps, entree, special drinks, wine and desert!

Seattle
“Yum...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

Definitely the best restaurant in Friday Harbor (not touristy) - the prices are fairly high, but the food is excellent. The patio is wonderful during the summer and the service is attentive and friendly. Both times I've gone, myself (and a friend) had issues with the meat being over or underdone in relation to how we stated our preference to the waiter.

Paso Robles
“NOT WORTH IT”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

We just ate there tonite. With reservations set for 7, we arrived promptly. After waiting to be seated (some irate folks were ahead of us, should have been a warning) it took 15 min to get drink orders placed. At that time we ordered, and it took ONE HOUR to get food. We were served at 8:10. We ate dinner in 15 minutes, and no one came back to check on our order. When we were finished and declined dessert, it took 20 more minutes to get the check. At that point I sent our dining companions outside and I stood by the check in desk. After offering my credit card I finally got a bill to pay.
By the way don't bother drinking the house red, it's swill.
The food was good, but definitely NOT worth the long wait. Try someplace else to get your food in the same calendar date.
BTW restaurant very noisy altho courtyard was cute. It was so cold we opted for inside but the noise was almost intolerable. This place needs Gordon Ramsey to get it straightened out!

Minneapolis, MN
“Cute atmosphere pretty good food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

Of all of the food we had in Friday Harbor this was probably the best. I had a pasta dish and my husband had an asian-style scallop dish with rice cakes. The rice cakes were AMAZING! Everything else was good but not excellent.

I will say the service was really slow when we went on a Saturday night. We didn't mind as we had plenty of time but be prepared.

A standout for me was dessert. I had an apple and strawberry fruit crisp that was to DIE FOR! Would highly recommend!