“Wonderful; Don't miss it”

Backdoor Kitchen & Catering
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Staying in Friday Harbor for 5 nites a couple of weeks ago we ate at 5 different restaurants; 3 excellent, 1 OK and 1 terrible (separate story). Of the 3 excellent restaurants, we'd award our Blue Ribbon Award to Backdoor in a close contest over the other 2 excellent rest.: 'The Place' and 'Vinny's'. Perhaps the lovely outdoor setting was the deciding factor. We really didn't have a choice since all indoor tables were taken when we arrived; our good luck. The mellow solo guitar player also added to the ambience. We would have returned the following evening but the threat of rain changed our minds as once again indoors was fully booked.

Both our B&B and the leader of our kayak day trip had singled out Backdoor as their singular favorite in Friday Harbor. Indeed, locals must know a thing or two.

Anyway both food and service were excellent. The lamb sirloin is particularly noteworthy.

If in Friday Harbor don't miss the Backdoor Kitchen.

There are newer reviews for Backdoor Kitchen & Catering

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I made a reservation at Backdoor Kitchen based on great internet reviews and a reported vegetarian selection, and for the most part I was not disappointed. This restaurant is tucked away behind a warehouse not far from the ferry terminal, and it's worth the walk to find an oasis with a lovely patio. We were seated at an indoor table (I was not given an option for indoor or outdoor when I made the reservation), and water/bread arrived quickly. Our server was friendly, but disappeared for quite a while after we asked for some time to decide on drinks. When he re-appeared, he offered helpful advice on food and drink options. Our cocktails were very strong, but interesting and well made. We had a caesar salad and smoked salmon chowder for appetizers, and both were delicious. The salad was VERY garlicky, but incredibly tasty -- I ended up getting every last bit of dressing with my bread. The chowder was more like a curry, and my husband and I agreed that were would happily inhale every bit with some naan as accompaniment. Husband had scallops for dinner, and I had the salmon special. Both dinners were lovely and creative. Our server also helped with a wine suggestion, even going so far as to recommend temperature for the wine. For dessert we had the coconut cream pie, and the understated flavor (not overly sweet!) was a great ending.

My only complaint about the restaurant was a bit of an elitist feeling, like we should be grateful to dine there. I think this came from the slow pacing of the service (drinks really did take too long to arrive) and the hostesses attitude when seating us. The space is gorgeous, and although quite pricey, we did enjoy the evening. I would return to Backdoor Kitchen for special events (for the two of us, including appetizers, dinners, shared dessert, two cocktails, and a bottle of wine -- $175, not including tip).

1  Thank Amy E
Reviewed September 2, 2012

With a guitar playing in the background, we enjoyed everything about our meal, from the appetizer to the dessert. Even though we were inside (and had hoped for an outside table), we were next to a large window and doorway and could enjoy the breeze and music effortlessly. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for. Great to walk to, if you're staying in town.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

The corn cakes are exceptional, as was all the food. If it's chilly don't accept a table outside. It got pretty cold with no heaters. Definitely worth going for the food.

1  Thank Andrea S
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Exceptional northwest cuisine, great wine list! Service was impeccable and the setting is in beautiful Asian style garden.