“From the Alberta Prairies”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Friday Harbor
Highland Inn of San Juan Island
Ranked #12 of 17 Friday Harbor B&B and Inns
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
“From the Alberta Prairies”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We spent three very memorable days. We were greeted warmly and shown to our room. Each morning we were greeted with a warm "Good Morning" and a wonderful yummy two course breakfast. We could choose where we wanted our breakfast served - dining room, our room, or on the deck. After being out during the day we would come back to our room with fresh cookies
(the best tasting cookies ever) and fruit waiting for us. Helen would always have the towel warmer on so that our towels would be nice and warm after our steam showers. The fridge was stocked with pop, cold water, chilled wine glasses. Helen has really gone all out to make our stay perfect. The views were great. We could sit on our deck and look out and see Victoria, and the Olympic mountains. I would definitey recommend staying here.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
bestinnkeeper, Owner at Highland Inn of San Juan Island, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
I forget sometimes what it is like to have this incredible water view to Victoria BC and the Olympics
when guests live inland. Canada has some amazing places to vacation, but I appreciate the fact
that you chose my inn to stay. Thank you so much for writing Trip Advisor about your stay. It means so much to me you took the time and shared your experience here. Glad you enjoyed your
visit here. Helen King, Innkeeper

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife and I needed a trip to relax and reconnect in beautiful surroundings, with no particular schedule or agenda of activities. The Highland Inn was a great choice for this. We got to sample both rooms: they are of nearly identical mirror-image design with some differences in color scheme. We ended up with a slight personal preference for the Haro Strait Suite as its decor was "just the way we would have done it," and its deck was more shaded in the afternoon/early evening. The beds were very comfortable. The view from the room and deck is an eye-popping panorama of water, Olympic Mountains, Victoria BC and Vancouver Island, with many different visual aspects depending on time of day, cloud cover, air clarity and boating activity on the strait. In the morning hummingbirds and other winged creatures flitted about the deck and foliage. Both evenings we spent more than an hour sitting on the deck, watching the sunset and the lights of Victoria come on in the twilight. The breakfasts were very good and served in a friendly and visually appealing way in the dining area (or in your room or on the deck from what I understand). Helen strikes the right balance between attentiveness to guests' needs/wants and respect for their privacy, a talent no doubt informed by her considerable experience in the industry. We recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
bestinnkeeper, Owner at Highland Inn of San Juan Island, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
I appreciate your comments and am so glad you didn't mind the move from one suite to the other
due to availability. It gave you a chance to experience both rooms and now you know which you will chose when you decide to return to the inn. Your description will be so helpful for others who are trying to decide on their vacation plans when searching Trip Advisor for San Juan Island, WA.
Thank you for your stay and taking the time to write. It was a pleasure to have you here as my guests. Helen KIng, Innkeeper
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This is a perfect place to stay when visiting San Juan Island! There are only two rooms so it is a quiet and very serene place to stay. The rooms are large and extremely well appointed. The deck provides even more space plus beautiful views of Victoria, BC., the Olympic mountain range and local birds enjoying the feeders just off the deck. The Inn is beautifully situated and has everything you need for a memorable stay. The website is accurate and the Innkeeper, Ms. King, is timely and very responsive to inquiries.

Ms. King is the perfect Innkeeper. She provides sage advice, is knowledgable and up to date about happenings on the island and professionally gauges her clients needs and wishes. She very nicely inquired about any allergies and preferences regarding meals. Ms. King provides gracious hospitality and we thought her breakafsts and the afternoon snacks were works of art.

We had the best sleep, the best breakfast, the best location and the best views of anyone else on the island!

John and Catherine Knox

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
bestinnkeeper, Owner at Highland Inn of San Juan Island, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
I appreciate the comments you posted on Trip Advisor to confirm all the advantages of staying here at the Highland Inn. It's always best to exceed expectations than to have guests disappointed. The Orca whales visited us here again in the Salish Sea most of the afternoon yesterday. Such a treat for those that have never seen them...and for those of us that live here too! Thank you for your stay. I enjoyed having you as my guests.
Helen King, Innkeeper
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Warm cozy room with whale watching right out our window! Excellent breakfast. We felt like we were in our own seaside home but without the mortgage. Lovely experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
bestinnkeeper, Owner at Highland Inn of San Juan Island, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time and effort to write the comment about your stay here. So many
depend on Trip Advisor when searching for just the right place to vacation. I am so glad you felt
at home and enjoyed your stay here. I certainly enjoyed having you as my guests. Helen King
Wallowa, Oregon, United States
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We picked this venue as a honeymoon retreat and a base for chasing after Orca pods. We were not disappointed! The food, both in presentation and taste, was most excellent. We took full advantage of the property's benefits (hot tub, in-room steambath, in-room soak tub, candles, fireplace, wonderful king size beds, superb room decor, a huge adjoining deck with a beautiful view). We couldn't have been more pleased. The smoked salmon 'eggs benedict' was "as good as a breakfast can get" and complemented with wonderful coffee or tea, fresh juice, and an amazing yogurt fresh fruit dish - marvelous! From the vantage point of the deck, one could scope out the direction the Orcas were heading and then drive to a close vantage point; close enough to take in not only the sighting but their sounds as well. Incredible!! If you're looking for all that a luxury b&b can offer, then look no more. This is as good as it gets!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Highland Inn of San Juan Island, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Honeymoons are so special and I try to make them memorable and just the way you want it to be.
I am so happy to provide the atmosphere and so many features that are romantic and private. Glad you liked my cooking. I do enjoy being able to do special things with only two couples at the inn. II wish you a long and happy marriage. Thank you so much for your comments about your stay. Helen King
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My wife and I spent five nights at the Highland Inn for our honeymoon. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there and couldn't thank Helen enough for the friendly conversation and delicious breakfasts served each morning. In addition to that, the room we stayed in was amazing and the patio allowed us to take in the breathtaking views of Haro Strait in peaceful silence (except for the chirping birds). There are only two rooms, located on opposite sides of the Inn, so honeymooners or anyone looking for a romantic getaway should have adequate privacy if that is what they are looking for. Although my wife and I were away from the Inn during the day, we were told that Orcas swam by on many of the days and could be viewed from the patio. This is the only B&B I have been to, and it was a great experience and I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
The inn was designed with honeymooners in mind. Complete privacy, no one on either side
of your room or overhead, and lots of soundproofing in the walls. King size bed and other romantic amenities like candles provided. It was my pleasure having you here starting your
married life and I wish you many happy years together. Thank you for your comments. Helen King
New England
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I don't understand how anyone can write about taking shoes off, wiping feet, and poor breakfast. I did a ton of research and picked this Inn. Helen is a wonderful Inn Keeper, and offers all she has to you while visiting. The special breakfasts she prepares are unmatched, and well thought out. Everything is made from scratch. We stayed in the Haro Strait room - wonderful view, fireplace, couch, chair - all super. Great place to walk in the morning too. Saw deer, Bald eagles, Orcas, and many more wildlife.
This island is beautiful and this Inn made our visit even better.
We'll be back is the best recommendation anyone can give.

Room Tip: Haro strait view!! Wildlife all over the place. Helen the Inn Keeper!!