“Perfect Girls Get-away” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Highland Inn of San Juan Island

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Friday Harbor
Highland Inn of San Juan Island
Ranked #11 of 17 Friday Harbor B&B and Inns
Kelowna
“Perfect Girls Get-away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Highland Inn has two suites, a huge porch with amazing views of the ocean, and a large common living room, making it perfect for our group. We felt like we had rented a house, with the advantage of having someone else cook our breakfast. Instead of heading into town for dinner we stopped at the grocery store, loaded up on appies and enjoyed a private evening on the porch with the most amazing view on San Juan Island. I agree with all the other positive reviews. Helen is a lovely lady with pride in her Inn and goes out of her way to ensure you have a pleasant stay. I would highly recommend forming a group of 4 to rent both suites and enjoy the privacy. However the suites, living area and porch are large enough to easily share.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
bestinnkeeper, Owner at Highland Inn of San Juan Island, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Glad you and your three girlfriends had such a good time here at the inn. It is suited for four friends, two couples, two generations, or couples with choice of complete privacy or together in the common areas. After three days of kayaking through the islands and camping you all were ready to relax, sleep in a real bed, and let me pamper you a little. It was my pleasure having you here and hearing your laughter and conversation on the veranda as the sun set let me know you
were all having such a good time celebrating your annual get together here. Thank you for the comments.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Pearland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

We had the most amazing stay at the Highland Inn with Helen. She was an incredible host and made an incredible breakfast every morning as well as left fresh baked cookies for us every afternoon. The inn was decorated beautifully and was kept very clean and well stocked. The room was very spacious and the porch had the best view from the island. Helen was very knowledgable about the island and have great recomendations for places to eat and activities to try. We will definetly be back and recommend staying here for every one who comes to the island looking for a relaxing and beautiful vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed in the whale watching room- AMAZING!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bestinnkeeper, Owner at Highland Inn of San Juan Island, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Having honeymooners here at the inn is one of the joys of innkeeping.
Making it a perfect romantic start to their marriage is my goal and I'm so
glad they enjoyed their stay here. Your comments are appreciated so much!
It was a delight having you as my guests. Helen King
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

Highland Inn is located on the West side of San Juan Island. The house is situated high on a forested hillside with uninterrupted views of the Olympic Range, the Haro Strait, and Victoria. The room is large yet cozy. The bathroom has everything you could want and more. The hostess is extraordinarily pleasant and helpful. The breakfasts were creative and delicious. Without reservation, I would reccomend this delightful, private retreat to my closest friends and family. We will certainly be back!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Margolulu7535
Thank you for your comments about your stay here at the inn. I appreciate you taking the time
to write with such a glowing report. I only recently found I could respond to the favorable remarks
on Trip Advisor, so for all those who have written previously with such enthusiasm, a big THANK YOU to you too!! It was indeed a pleasure having you here as my guests and I hope you can return for another anniversary celebration or just a relaxing get away some day. Helen King
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Highland Inn in early December, and we had a most delightful stay. Our room was cozy, private and well appointed. And Helen King is the consummate innkeeper! She greeted us warmly and explained how to use everything in our suite – television, dvd, jet tub, steam bath. She is welcoming and delightful, and knowledgeable about the island and its resources. Helen's breakfasts are five star! We found them tasty and creative (pecan/pumpkin pancakes were fabulous), and her cookies (served with tea and upon arrival) are to die for! It's a great place with a great view - far enough from Friday Harbor to feel like you're "away from it all," close enough to go into town for a meal at one of the many great restaurants. We couldn’t have had a nicer stay on San Juan Island, and we hope to get back to her inn again this winter!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

I have to agree with the review by Kitty. Helen King is the worst host my wife and I have ever encountered. When we arrived we were shown our room, the phone did not work, and we were asked not to use the jetted tub as there was a water shortage on the Island. I don't know about anyone else but after paying $300.00 a night for a room I feel I should be allowed to use the tub. We walked out on the porch to look at the view while she fixed the T.V. that was not working and left the door to our room open. She followed us out and told us to keep the door closed as we were letting all the heat out. This was in August. As we looked around we noticed this was not the room we booked online. When confronted with this, Helen King said "It doesn't matter, they are the same rooms just decorated differently". Well, I thought that was the whole point of the choices. The breakfast was as bad as they come. We drove into town afterwards and had a decent one. I think the old woman needs to retire if she has not already. She is not friendly, not welcoming and not suited for this line of work.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Dan4524
bestinnkeeper, Owner at Highland Inn of San Juan Island, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Reading reviews like this is very upsetting, especially when I try so hard to make my
guests feel welcome and enjoy their stay here at the inn. Perhaps the islands are considered too energy conscious. Two complaints involved use of water and electricity. In August, it was hard to understand the heat going with the sliding door wide open. I may have asked if I could turn the heat off if they were going to leave the sliding door open and I apologize if it seemed rude. The inn is dependent on well water here and it is scarce particularly on the west side of the island, but at no time have I ever told guests they may not use the tub. In fact, I give instructions as to the use of the jet tub to everyone at check in. I do recall that the room phone was not working and I had to get a repair man out to fix it. That was Sept. 29th, not August. I did tell guests they were welcome to use my portable phone on the kitchen counter. The TV may have been switched to playing a DVD by previous guests, but once I switched it back, the TV was playing fine and not a problem. I pride myself on my breakfasts. I don’t know of any other B&B that gives guests a choice of having it served in their suite, or the inn dining room, and at the time of their choice, 8 to 10 AM. I start with a fresh fruit plate and juice and beverage, followed by a hot entrée. I find the plates are usually clean which is an indication of how much my guests enjoy their breakfast here and get rave reviews. At check in, I always ask for any preferences or dietary needs and am happy to cook to order any special requests. As far as a room change, I cannot find any change of room in my records. From Sept. 27 through Sept. 30 that room was reserved and occupied by one couple who were return guests and very happy with their stay. All guests had the rooms they had reserved during that time.. All I can say is, I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay here. I do my best to please.
Helen King, Innkeeper
The Highland Inn of San Juan Island
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

What else can I add to what has already been said. This place is fantastic I want to move in. It makes me very sad now that I have found this place that Helen is trying to retire & sell her home and move to Seattle and this house will not be a B&B any longer. Go go now while you can. Helen is a wonderful host and has kept her property pristine and has thought of all the little extra amenities that really make you feel like she cares and you are being pampered ie chocolate bedtime mints at the bedside, binoculars for whale watching, towel warming rods in the BRs and everything else that has already been mentioned.(Great breakfasts). Fantastic!! I wish I lived closer so I could go every weekend.

Room Tip: I was in the Whale Watch suite and it was heavenly. Incredible view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

We stayed three nights at the Highland Inn and could not of been happier with our choice. Helen was the best...very personable, helpful, wonderful cook and gracious hostess. The Inn is located in a very private and lovely part of Friday Harbor. An easy drive from town or Roche Harbor . Staying there provided us the chance to enjoy the island that had the most to offer with restaurants and shopping, yet enjoy the beauty of being away from it all. Our room was perfect...spacious and well designed. We have many great memories of relaxing times on the deck, cozy fires in the fireplace, amazing breakfasts to start our day and an innkeeper who provided all the information we needed to make our time there over the top.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple