“A phenomenal experience from start to finish”
Review of Duck Soup Inn

Duck Soup Inn
Ranked #21 of 68 Restaurants in Friday Harbor
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Duck Soup Inn is a rustic island restaurant serving Pacific Northwest cuisine. We hope to offer you a sense of place by showcasing the bounty of the islands we are blessed to call home. From local farm produce, meat and seafood, foraged edibles from land and sea, and local goods made from island crafts people, the abundance and beauty of the San Juan's is on full display. We offer you adventures in island dining through fresh, seasonal, inspired cuisine, delightful wines, and creative cocktails served in a cozy cabin in the woods. The restaurant has received enthusiastic attention from various publications including Bon Appétit, Pacific Northwest Magazine, Seattle Met, Seattle Times, Gourmet, Travel & Leisure, and Fodor's.
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went there on our first night on the island, around 7:45 p.m., having called ahead at around 4:00 from the ferry. It was the penultimate weekend before they closed for the winter, and the restaurant was pretty packed when we got there (after a slightly tense ride along an unfamiliar, winding, and unlit road about 5 miles out of town--note: designate a driver for the ride back, or moderate your alcohol consumption). People appeared to be having a wonderful time. Probably because of our late reservation, we got sat at a table in the front room, which was a little chilly, particularly when the front door was opened. But that was the only, minor off-note of our entire experience.

What a great meal! I'm a vegetarian, and ordered three appetizers (although the vegetarian entree also looked great, I wanted to sample a bunch of different things). My partner got the calamari appetizer and the cod entree. The cocktails and wines by the glass were great, and the service was friendly and attentive, without being overbearing. Our food arrived methodically, and was well timed. There wasn't a bad note in any of the dishes we ordered. The complimentary soup (ginger carrot) was delicious, as was the dinner salad, and my appetizers were extraordinarily flavorful. I have the utmost respect for a commercial chef who is unafraid of spice, and this meal was one of the best I've eaten in that regard. My partner said her food was delicious also.

After dinner, despite not having been able to finish my dinner, we ordered the creme brûlée and some bourbon and port. I noticed the main dining room was now empty and had a roaring fire going, so I asked our host if we could move to a table by the fire. She enthusiastically agreed, and we had a lovely warm end to our evening. We were the last people there, but the staff was unfailingly gracious, and we didn't feel rushed out.

I was particularly impressed by the food and service at Duck Soup Inn because we'd had a terribly mediocre experience the previous night at the highly recommended Sitka & Spruce in Seattle and it was such a delight to follow it with a meal crafted by a chef who did such creative things with vegetables. But even standing alone, The Duck Soup Inn is a first-rate restaurant that I highly recommend to anyone visiting Friday Harbor.

There are newer reviews for Duck Soup Inn

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

So glad that trip advisor led me to this fantastic place. The food was scrumptious and beautifully plated. Creative flavor combinations and fresh, local ingredients. Cozy atmosphere with a bit of funk mixed with elegance. Highly recommended. Would have had dinner here two nights in a row if we hadn't eaten here on our last night in town. I Recommend requesting seat in main dining area, the large fireplace is lovely to sit by.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Sit outside on Persian rugs thrown over timber benches and sip on a great glass of wine munching on local, organic and fresh appetizers. Make reservations well in advance and be prepared for a leisurely well crafted meal with local food. Great service, ambiance -- we didn't want to leave. Perfect for a special meal with friends or your sweetheart. Put it on your list of must see and eat places in the San Juan Islands.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We had heard the restaurant was good and we were not disappointed. We sat outside near the fire pit and were very comfortable on a chilly October evening with the propane warmers nearby. The restaurant does require a car or a cab, as other reviewers have stated, as it is between Friday and Roche Harbors. The appetizers we tried were the scallop ceviche and the duck confit with hoisin sauce. Awesome flavors and beautifully plated. The soup and salad are included with your entree and the soup that night was a roasted poblano chile with fresh corn. Yum! The salad had fresh figs on it and was dressed with a light vinagrette. I had the duck breast, my husband the roasted pork and our daughter had the steak diane. All of the entree's were excellent. We were too full to order dessert, but on our next visit, we will be doing just that.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is one of the best restaurants, if not the best, on the island so make reservations if you plan to go, especially since they are only open for dinner Thursday through Sunday. The interior was comfortable, casual, and reminded me of an upscale hunting lodge. Service was friendly and the food was fresh and well prepared. The apple pie was delicious!