“FANTASTIC!”

Maya's Legacy Whale Watching
Ranked #1 of 25 Tours in Friday Harbor
More attraction details
Owner description: Maya’s Legacy Whale Watching provides small group whale watching & wildlife tours from Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, the best location to experience Orca whales in the wild. Recreational, engaging and informative, we offer memorable experiences with a passionate crew and the most innovative boats. We offer two convenient departure locations on San Juan Island.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Seattle, Washington, United States
“FANTASTIC!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I cannot speak highly enough of Maya's Westside Charters. Whale-watching with Capt Jim was a birthday treat (and surprise) for my sister and we had (please excuse the pun) a whale of a time! Spending the day with Capt Jim felt like hanging out with a life-long friend and we thoroughly enjoyed his stories, jokes and wealth of information about the San Juan Islands. The whales were spectacular and they came the closest to our boat. Treat youself - book an excursion with Capt Jim immediately. You will have the time of your life.

Visited September 2012
captainjim71, Owner at Maya's Legacy Whale Watching, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thanks so much. We love any feedback, especially this kind of response. Love those sea lions. Capt. Jim, Jeanne Hyde, and Mrs. Capt. Jim

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Whale watching Labor Day 2012”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We went out whale watching with Capt Jim twice this year over labor day. It was such an amazing time. We saw whales both times and once Capt Jim was the first boat to spot them. We loved the fact that the boat was small and it was very personal. We got way closer than many other large boats. Capt Jim and Jeanie are so knowledgable and really want to make the trip worth your while. We will be back for sure!

Visited September 2012
captainjim71, Owner at Maya's Legacy Whale Watching, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Thanks for the kind words. They really mean a lot to us. It was great having you on our boat. Hope to see you again sometime. Cheers, Capt. Jim and Jeanne
Golden, Colorado
“Capt. Jim worked hard to find us whales!”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We visited San Juan Island in November which is not really the high season for orcas and whales. The day we went out there were only one or two other boats out and Capt. Jim was in communication routinely trying to locate orcas, sea lions and whales. Nearing the end of our allotted time on the water Jim got word of transient orcas near Victoria. He went the extra mile for us this day, motoring 45min. to get us over to see the orcas. We watched them till the last possible moment and arrived back in port as the sun was setting.

I highly recommend Maya's Westside Charters. We had a wonderful experience with Jim and Jeanne, the naturalist. She was amazing with her knowledge of the orcas and whales and how quickly she could identify them.

Visited November 2012
captainjim71, Owner at Maya's Legacy Whale Watching, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thanks so much for the review. It was a wonderful day! Hope you can make it back sometime...
Cheers, Capt. Jim and Jeanne Hyde
Tempe, Arizona
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Believe the Hype”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I originally booked with another tour based on a personal recommendation. After doing some more San Juan Island trip planning, I stumbled upon the rave reviews for Captain Jim and was regretful, wishing that I hadn't booked the other tour so far in advance. By chance, our tour was cancelled and Maya's luckily had last minute availability. I was beyond pleased with how everything worked out. My parents, girlfriend and I showed up to the marina at Snug Harbor and were greeted by Captain Jim, who with his friendly, dry humor cracked to my girlfriend, "I know a Jessica...are you sure we haven't met? I'm going to go make sure the engine works so we don't have to row the boat." When we walked out on the dock, we heard Jeanne, the tour naturalist, yell in her upbeat, quirky voice, "Captain Jim, we got 'em!" with a big smile on her face. They had located the whales. Seeing an orca was at the very top of my girlfriend's Seattle trip wish list, so that was music to my ears.

The tour was flat out awesome. Captain Jim and Jeanne were extremely hospitable, always making sure that everyone was having a good time. There were only 6 of us tourists on the boat, which gave the trip a personal feeling. Besides being lead by two really nice people, the thing that stuck out to me the most was Captain Jim's insistence on us using the tour the way we wanted to use it. Once we spotted the orcas and followed them around for awhile, he asked if we wanted to stay with them or go see other wildlife. From the other reviews I've read, this is what sets Maya's apart from the other tours. We followed the whales around for about 3 hours with some amazing views. We had such a good time.

If you're on the fence about which tour to choose, choose this one with no doubts. The backside of the island is beautiful: a much nicer spot to depart for a tour than Friday Harbor, which is in no way a knock on Friday Harbor. Everyone I talked to, from the people in town to our B&B host seemed to know Captain Jim: "He's awesome." "If the whales are out there, he'll find them." All true. Thank you Captain Jim and Jeanne for making our trip one I'll never forget! I would love to go again someday w/ Maya's.

captainjim71, Owner at Maya's Legacy Whale Watching, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
We are so touched. Thank you so much for the kind words! Please stay in touch! Capt. Jim
Vermont
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Great fun day, fabulous experience”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Still smiling after an afternoon's excursion, seeing so many orcas off San Juan Island! Nice boat out of Snug Harbor, wonderful people, a fun naturalist who knew all the whales! Captain Justin made the most of a cool, cloudy day - our small group had a fabulous time!

Visited October 2012