“Well worth it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Western Prince Whale & Wildlife Tours
Ranked #2 of 22 Tours in Friday Harbor
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Just 90 miles north of Seattle, Whale Watching and Wildlife Tours from Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington. Owner Operated, Experienced Local Naturalist Guides, Small Groups, Two Great Boats. Choose from the fast and comfortable 46' Western Prince II (limited to 32 passengers or less, with seating for 41) or, for the more adventurous, the Expedition Style 30' Western Explorer (limited to 15 passengers or less).
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Seattle, Washington
“Well worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Really nice trip. The guides were very knowledgeable and did an excellent job keeping the experience interesting with facts and concepts regarding the ecology and natural environment.

Visited September 2012

Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I spent 4 amazing days in Friday Harbour in late August and went on both the Western Prince II & The Western Explorer while I was there and both trips were fantastic. I took the Western Prince II tour on my first day and we saw some orcas in the distance, we followed them for a little while but then went off to view some sea lions, seals and bald eagles as well. The naturalists on board were extremely knowledgable about the area and the wildlife.

I ended up with a free morning on my last day and decided to try the Western Explorer as well. I am so glad I did because it was an absolutely amazing experience. Orcas had been spotted off the coast of Victoria so we hurried off as we had a bit of distance to cover. We caught up with a group of transients and spent about an hour watching those wonderful animals. The onboard naturalist Traci was fantastic and she took some great photos which she emailed through after the tour.

The staff in the office were just as helpful, especially Chris, and I would definitely go back to Western Prince if I ever find myself on that side of the world again. I was lucky enough to see orcas on both trips however I would recommend the tours even if you miss out on orcas as you get to see and learn about some great wildlife and it was a fabulous way to see the beautiful islands.

Visited August 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

September 23,2012 - what an incredible experience. Went out on the Western Prince Explorer with Captain Ivan and Naturalist, JB. They were so knowledgeable about all the wildlife, and stopped many times to point out many different marine mammals including harbor seals and stellar sea lions. Also took us by Jonas Island to see all types of exotic animals,and explained to everyone what we were seeing. When they found pods of Orcas, they were as excited as we were. They obviously love what they do, and that makes the trip that much more interesting. They shared their love of the sea and the whales, and taught us all about the importance of wildlife conservation. Don't worry about catching photos unless you've got a great camera set up with zoom lens. JB sent us great photos that he took. Enjoy!

Luni Mare, Italy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

The best one trip of the world, great crew and great people. The boat is good and confortable, have provided us with telescopes.

Thank you from Italy!!

Inverness, United Kingdom
“Western Prince Whale Watching”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I will start the review with a few choice words: Breath-taking, Jaw-dropping, Beautiful and Informative. My wife and I recently visited the US on a 25th wedding anniversary three week holiday. The highpoint of which was a planned whale watching trip to Friday Harbour on San Juan Island. We booked the Western Prince Whale Watch tour over two separate days. We were looking forward to the boat trips and I’m glad to say we weren’t disappointed in the slightest. The operators and naturists are very knowledgeable and they are extremely enthusiastic about the wildlife of the area. Captain Craig runs a smooth sailing tour which even my wife who doesn’t do boats at the best of times was exceptionally happy with. The naturists JB, Sarah and Allison are fantastic, enthusiastic and extremely knowledgeable in their field and they make the trip even more special. Unfortunately we didn’t see any Orca’s on the second day and you know what - it didn’t even matter, we fully understood that we were at the end of the season and the Orca’s hadn’t read the script. We had a very special two days on the boat and both my wife and I will cherish the memories that this trip has given us, made even more special by the town of Friday Harbour, its inhabitants and more importantly the Western Prince Boat crew, the Orcas and other wildlife of the area. If you ever want to see Orcas with the beautiful backdrop of San Juan County and its islands then make your way to Friday Harbour and pick Western Prince Tours.

Andy and Morag from Scotland.

Visited October 2012