“Fantastic experience!”

Western Prince Whale & Wildlife Tours
Ranked #2 of 25 Tours in Friday Harbor
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Just 90 miles north of Seattle, Whale Watching and Wildlife Tours from Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington. Owner Operated, Experienced Local Naturalist Guides, Small Groups, Two Great Boats. Choose from the fast and comfortable 46' Western Prince II (limited to 32 passengers or less, with seating for 41) or, for the more adventurous, the Expedition Style 30' Western Explorer (limited to 15 passengers or less).
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 7, 2012

September 23,2012 - what an incredible experience. Went out on the Western Prince Explorer with Captain Ivan and Naturalist, JB. They were so knowledgeable about all the wildlife, and stopped many times to point out many different marine mammals including harbor seals and stellar sea lions. Also took us by Jonas Island to see all types of exotic animals,and explained to everyone what we were seeing. When they found pods of Orcas, they were as excited as we were. They obviously love what they do, and that makes the trip that much more interesting. They shared their love of the sea and the whales, and taught us all about the importance of wildlife conservation. Don't worry about catching photos unless you've got a great camera set up with zoom lens. JB sent us great photos that he took. Enjoy!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The best one trip of the world, great crew and great people. The boat is good and confortable, have provided us with telescopes.

Thank you from Italy!!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I will start the review with a few choice words: Breath-taking, Jaw-dropping, Beautiful and Informative. My wife and I recently visited the US on a 25th wedding anniversary three week holiday. The highpoint of which was a planned whale watching trip to Friday Harbour on San Juan Island. We booked the Western Prince Whale Watch tour over two separate days. We were looking forward to the boat trips and I’m glad to say we weren’t disappointed in the slightest. The operators and naturists are very knowledgeable and they are extremely enthusiastic about the wildlife of the area. Captain Craig runs a smooth sailing tour which even my wife who doesn’t do boats at the best of times was exceptionally happy with. The naturists JB, Sarah and Allison are fantastic, enthusiastic and extremely knowledgeable in their field and they make the trip even more special. Unfortunately we didn’t see any Orca’s on the second day and you know what - it didn’t even matter, we fully understood that we were at the end of the season and the Orca’s hadn’t read the script. We had a very special two days on the boat and both my wife and I will cherish the memories that this trip has given us, made even more special by the town of Friday Harbour, its inhabitants and more importantly the Western Prince Boat crew, the Orcas and other wildlife of the area. If you ever want to see Orcas with the beautiful backdrop of San Juan County and its islands then make your way to Friday Harbour and pick Western Prince Tours.

Andy and Morag from Scotland.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

All of the staff wee pleasant and knowledgeable. We saw so many orca and other wild life, which was an unexpected surprise. We had what the locals call a super pod day!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I wanted to take our two children (15 & 4) on a long weekend adventure away from San Diego....We opted on visiting Seattle for one day followed by a long weekend to the the San Juan Islands so we could enjoy the ferry ride, gorgeous setting and see the resident Orca Whales in the wild! it would seem so unreal to be able to actually experience such a thing!

We landed in Friday Harbor. Upon arrival we signed up for the Western Prince Whale Watching adventure. We had been looking forward to it after having read countless amazing blog entries and viewing the photos on their website about their wildlife encounters. My husband and I had really been looking forward to taking the boys out on the speedy Zodiac boat called the Western Explorer. It seemed it would be closer to the water and provide a unique experience. After reading the website we learned that children under 6 were not recommended to go on the Western Explorer. Instead we divided our family and my husband and 15 year old went on the the Explorer and me and my four year old went on the Western Prince.

The staff was so welcoming and made our four year old forget that the other two family members weren't present. They outfitted him with his own little life vest and sat down with him throughout educating us both and the rest of the passengers about the details of Orca spotting and even called out the Orca's individual names. My little one became quite good at spotting for the simple reason that the staff naturalists were extremely helpful and attentive and generous with their knowledge. It was an incredible day on the water with Sea Lions, Seals, Porpoises, a Bald Eagle, and of course, lots of Orca Whales! We saw members of 3 Orca Pods. The ride was smooth, fun, easy, they had snacks on board and the weather was perfect. My husband and son saw the same and more on the Western Explorer. In fact we were able to greet them on the pier when they came back with Captain Ivan and his crew. It was the perfect family adventure. Thanks Western Prince. We will be visiting again!!