We decided to go to Friday Harbor on the spur of the moment. We called the Monday before and got the last "Sky" room available from Sept. 15-17. It's the room with one king-size bed. We were given good information from the front desk about the ferry schedule and directions to hotel.
When we checked in--we were early and the room wasn't ready--but we did all the paper work and just returned for the key at 3. The front desk was VERY helpful--giving us directions for lunch places and they made dinner reservations for us at Backdoor Kitchen (a great!!!! restaurant) and at Steps Bar and Grill (another great restaurant --but different from Backdoor). Both restaurants used local produce, seafood and meat--chefs at both were very unique in their combinations and presentations--we loved them both for different reasons.
Our room: I was a bit worried when we saw that our room was right next to the housekeeping/laundry room. I was worried about noise and early mornings. But neither was a problem. Elements is an older motel with a great face-lift. The structure still squeaks (water pipes tap, tap, tapping and noisy floor boards) but it just adds to the charm. Rememeber, you are in a small beautiful coastal town--not a urban uptight city--you just go with the flow. We unplugged the noisy small refrigerator at night- we plugged in our ipod (to the furnished ipod machine) and we enjoyed the "quirkiness". The bed and linens were very nice and great quality as were the bath products. The only suggestion I would offer is to buy drapes for the ground floor rooms. The blinds are nice, but when cars park at night the headlights shine directly into the room. An easy fix, i think.
We looked at the San Juan Hotel-and for the price difference, I don't think it's worth it. Elements gave us the "adventure and relaxing" trip we were looking for. We would stay there again.
My only question--we never found the "spa" part of the hotel. There was no information in the binder in the room--so we didn't know if the "spa" part of the hotel was not available off-season. I never asked the front desk--always forgot. Next time I will inquire when we make the reservation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Earthbox Inn & Spa is a delightful blend of cool resort motel and classic vintage motor inn with an indoor pool, full-service spa, stylishly renovated rooms, free wifi, free parking and complimentary bicycles. Centrally located in downtown Friday Harbor, only 4 blocks from the Washington State Ferry. Also enjoy the many outdoor area attractions including kayaking, biking, hiking, and wildlife/whale tours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Earthbox Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Earthbox Motel And Spa
- Earthbox Hotel Friday Harbor
- Earthbox Motel Friday Harbor
- Earthbox Inn & Spa Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA