I love all things retro... I love finding new uses for old things, being environmental, being responsible...and I especially love my, and my family's, recent stay at Earthbox Inn & Spa.
My husband, our 10 year old, and I stayed two nights at Earthbox Inn & Spa (January 18 & 19, 2014) and were very pleased with our stay. When we arrived on Saturday afternoon, we arrived a couple of hours before check-in. However, the person checking us in--his name was Tory--not only allowed us an early check-in but he also upgraded our room from a Sun Place room to a Sea Place room AND gave our very hungry 10 year old a bottle of water and some snacks after overhearing our son ask us how much longer before we have lunch--to hold him over! It's these little gems of customer service that has truly become rare in today's consumerism.
I have to say, one of the big draw for choosing to stay at Earthbox was its funky retro vibe. The 2nd reason: the fact that the establishment took what was most likely a rundown motel (and an eye-sore?) and recycled it into a boutique-style inn. As Volvo-driving, easily identified 'granolas' from the Olympia-Lacey, Washington area--this place was right up our alley.
As Earthbox's website and brochure states: Earthbox Inn & Spa is a renovated motor inn. Our room was spotless--VERY CLEAN--nicely decorated in soothing "earthy" colors and clean-line furniture, and the room had everything that we could possibly need for our two-night stay. The beds were softer than I would prefer but the beddings were clean and crisp and luxurious. The bathroom was small but honestly, how much room does one really need to shower or use the loo? Size doesn't matter but cleanliness does! Needless to say, we felt very comfortable and 'at home.' The overall feel of the room & service is that of a boutique hotel.
Lovely lavender-infused soaps, shampoo, conditioner and lotion is set out for your use, along with other bathroom toiletries such as cotton swaps and hair blow-drier.
And it was great having an indoor swimming pool, sauna, and hot tub available after a long day of travel and sightseeing!
As a renovated 1960's motor inn, the location--as far as scenery goes--is lacking. HOWEVER, the convenience of having all of Friday Harbor's amenities (grocery store, restaurants, cinema, bowling alley, bookstore, gas station, cafes, ferry terminal, etc) all just a short walk away MORE THAN made up for the lack of scenic vistas. It was great to be able to walk down to Kings Market to pick up a few groceries for our stay or walk across the street to take our son bowling after the big Seahawks vs. the 49'ers game to let off some residual energy after watching such a nail-biting game!
I did notice prior to reserving my room that there were several negative reviews of Earthbox Inn & Spa posted here, Google, and Yelp. I cannot answer to why that is...all I can share is my experience. My husband and I have a lot of experience traveling. Everything from backpacking in Europe and staying a youth hostels to staying at 4 & 5 star hotels in various European, Scandinavian countries and stateside. We've rented houses on the shores of world famous Hanalei Bay--so we have seen and experience a wide range of tourists accommodations. And without sounding like I'm shilling, I can honestly say that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Earthbox.
We will definitely recommend this hotel to our friends and family members!
Gaute, Erin, and Leif S.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Earthbox Inn & Spa is a delightful blend of cool resort motel and classic vintage motor inn with an indoor pool, full-service spa, stylishly renovated rooms, free wifi, free parking and complimentary bicycles. Centrally located in downtown Friday Harbor, only 4 blocks from the Washington State Ferry. Also enjoy the many outdoor area attractions including kayaking, biking, hiking, and wildlife/whale tours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Earthbox Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Earthbox Motel And Spa
- Earthbox Hotel Friday Harbor
- Earthbox Motel Friday Harbor
- Earthbox Inn & Spa Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA