“Wonderful Place to Stay in the Islands”
Review of Earthbox Inn & Spa

Earthbox Inn & Spa
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Friday Harbor
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newport Beach, CA
“Wonderful Place to Stay in the Islands”
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Simply put, everything we needed for our vacation with our grandson was here at The Elements. Large room with a full kitchen gave us flexiblity on when to eat. Room well appointed. Central location allowed us to walk all over Friday Harbor, very accommodating staff, nice morning coffee bar away from the room. Wireless availability. If we needed something, the hotel folks provided it.

A happy grandfather/Newport Beach, CA

Stayed July 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
seattle
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We just returned from our second stay at Elements and I decided it was time for a review. My husband and I both LOVE this hotel/motel so much. The rooms are just like they are in the pictures - at least the Sky/Water that we have stayed in. We were there in 80 degree weather - but the room never got too hot. They have these fantastic fans the cool you off (I need to find them). The check-in was flawless as normal - you pay when you get there instead of when you leave and I really like that. I try to describe this hotel to people and the best way to describe it is unique and wonderful. Don't let the outside fool you! This was of course once a motel and from the outside, you would never guess the luxury on the inside. Housekeeping was great, the front desk was always helpful and so so easy to get too off the ferry. Their location is perfect.

For those who believe it is overpriced for what you get - I am not sure they have traveled extensively and let's look at the going rates of a Holiday Inn Express in Walla Walla, WA - 140$! I am not sure what they expect for their money, but we always feel we get our money's worth.

• Liked — The location & quality of the rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank garrisoncollins
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed June 30, 2008

Very nice room (no ac as mentioned by others), nice pool, excellent location convenient to town and ferry, but I agree it's overpriced for what you get.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
benzgal
Reviewed June 28, 2008

We stayed at the Friday Harbor Elements for our 44th wedding anniversary using the Victoria Clipper one nite package. We found the young people at the front desk to be courteous and friendly and very accomodating. Our room was VERY nice and clean, just what we needed.. The immenities were wonderful also. My husband became ill before our ferry ride home and the staff both at the front desk and the cafe were outstanding. We were allowed to use the room until just before the Clipper was to board which was a Godsend. I'd stay here again anytime! thank you all so much!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Washington
Reviewed June 2, 2008

This hotel is overpiced for what you get. We spent over $200 a night - but didn't have any AC in our room. The front desk told us to open the windows (the windows are accessible to people on the outside of the room who are walking by). It was very hot in our room - even hotter than it was outside. I called the front desk around 1:00am to inquire about AC - but no one answered. I guess they don't staff the front at that time. Also - I got a very luke warm shower in the morning.

Overall it was a let down. It looks WAY nicer on the website (good photographs!). The hotel rooms really do look like Motel 6 rooms with nicer paint. The only thing nice about this hotel - it was right in town - an easy walk to everything.

• Stayed May 2008
Seattle, WA
Reviewed May 29, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Elements because it was the cheapest deal we could find on the island for Memorial Day, but it was still over $200 per night for the "Sun Room".

The room looked out over an abandoned industrial building, which was a turn-off at first but actually afforded a great deal of privacy. The room was well furnished, spacious and clean. The pool was small but nice.

Don't let the fancy website fool you - this hotel is essentially a Motel 6 with a spa and some decor. In all, I think it's a nice place to stay, but the price is pretty steep for what it is. Unfortunately, you won't find much better price ratios on the island.

• Liked — The close proximity to the town.
  • Disliked — The value for the money.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Brandor
Anacortes, WA
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I have stayed at Elements twice and loved every minute of it. The rooms are very warm with nice dark wood furniture and great colored bed spreads. The sheets are good quality and the beds dreamily comfortable. The shower was powerful and it was really nice to have a refrigerator to keep leftovers and some orange juice in.

I also loved having free wireles in the room as I was on a part-business, part-pleasure trip. It was really easy and they gave me the password at reception as I checked in.

The staff were all as helpful and welcoming as could be and the lobby lounge is comfortable.

Elements is also ideally located so you can walk anywhere in Friday Harbor. You can also walk there from the ferry, so you don't need a car at all.

My next stay at Elements will be in June and I hope there will be many more stays after that because I loved the charm and warmth of this hotel.

Stayed April 2008