“very nice hotel and friendly staff”
Review of Earthbox Inn & Spa

Earthbox Inn & Spa
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Friday Harbor
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington, United States
“very nice hotel and friendly staff”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Nice hotel.
Warm interior, pretty dark (I liked it though) big room equipped with bathrobes, wine glasses (if you wish to) etc. Lavender cosmetics - I loved them. Very friendly and helpful staff. Great idea with bikes.
Could be closer to the water.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Recently stayed here with the hubby for 2 nights. We got the $99/night special for the Water Place-sized room (the off-season looked pretty slow). If we'd paid the usual rates, I would have been a lot less happy.

Front desk check-in gal was not super friendly (there were 2 other front-desk staff who were much friendlier). She was very brisk and seemed like she wanted me out of there as quickly as possible, with minimum fuss. She also told me the wrong staircase to get to my room, which was annoying as I had to lug a heavy suitcase up and down an extra set of stairs. You'd think the staff knows the inn backwards and forwards??

The pool area smelled very heavily of chlorine. Not very inviting.

The noise was an issue as well. Fortunately, I'm a pretty good sleeper and didn't have to make use of the hotel-provided earplugs.

Pros:
- Very convenient location
- Fridge, microwave in-room

Cons:
- Terrible sound-travel. We could literally hear the gentlemen speaking in the next room. And they were talking normally, not shouting. We requested a room on the 2nd level after hearing about noise problems on the ground floor.
- Bathroom didn't match the rest of the room (not very upscale)
- Loud heater fan (was disturbing the hubby)
- If you're on the 2nd level, be prepared to carry your suitcase up/down stairs. There are no elevators.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor for less noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J K
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here because of the positive reviews and dog friendliness. Front desk staff very friendly and helpful at check in (much more helpful/nice than woman that took my reservation on the phone). Stayed in pet friendly earth room, nicely decorated though the room lighting was a bit funky and it was pretty dark. One of the beds was very comfortable, the other mattress was a little tired. Great in room coffee and nice amenities with lavender lotion/soap. Nice to have real Kleenex tissues (instead of the usual hotel/motel kind). Walls are pretty thin but hotel was pretty vacant so no problem for us (might be loud in summer though). My only complaint would be the complete lack of any grass on the property for Pets. Also, it would be great if they had more dog friendly rooms. Be aware that special advertised winter rate does not apply to pet rooms. Overall a very nice experience. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank MsTenenbaum
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed October 19, 2012

First the girl that checked us in at the front desk, SUPER sweet, I wish I remembered her name but she talked with me and my best friend for a long time, we liked her so much we wanted to ask her to go to dinner with us! LOL!
We had the Sun Place rooms on the first floor. The room was a lot bigger than I had imagined. Nice wood floor, the beds super comfy, it really was a good size room! We did have a small area outside the back doors of the room (they are covered with nice blinds) but there isn't a view, there was just a bunch of dead brush out there. But that was ok, we didn't have time to sit out there anyway.
the only thing I found that I did not like, was the actual bathroom (toilet/shower area). It looked like they remodeled everything in the room, then stopped at the bathroom. It could have used a good paint job and some spiffy-ing up. The sink area is outside this area and is nice. There is also an additional counter where the microwave is (Oh! you have a mini fridge too which was very convenient) and the counter is very large where I could get ready there with my make-up and such and my friend used the counter by the sink. Worked out well!
I also did not get a 'motel' feeling here, not at all, I really liked our room

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Bothell
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A girlfriend and I took the Clipper up for whale watching and an overnight in Friday Harbor. The Earthbox was an adorable and very convenient place to stay. Very quaint motel with beautiful flowers outside and perfect amenities inside our room as well. The rooms were well appointed, very clean and had everything we might need. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful by suggesting happy hour spots as well as night life options. They had a town map to direct us on foot to many options. We loved the suggestions and everything was withing walking distance which was perfect since we didn't have a car. The cruiser bikes are definitely something I will try next time! I would recommend the earthbox to anyone! They also have an indoor pool and jacuzzi.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We just spent 2 nights here. Outside is 60s/70s motor inn. Inside has been really tastefully redecorated in earth tones. We had one of the smaller (water) rooms, but don't usually spend tons of time in the room, so it was fine. Night stand only on one side of the bed was a little inconvenient. Walls are thin. They do provide earplugs, though. Our second night there, the hotel was fairly empty, and an alarm clock went off in an unoccupied room very early in the morning, which kept me up for a while. Nice patio area near pool house. Also nice landscaping. Staff, especially Tory, were very helpful. Bikes available for use, but they are one-speed, and a bit difficult on hilly roads. Great location-close to downtown, but quietly off the road. All accomodations in San Juan Islands are quite expensive. We got a mid-week, off-season deal. If we hadn't, we may not have been as happy with our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Waldron, WA
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was looking for a quiet place. It's an older facility, but so nicely redone and kept up that you wouldn't know it. Perfect walking distance location for anything downtown, and yet set off far enough from the street that it was quiet. Everything seems geared to welcoming someone looking to truly relax. Staff was knowledgeable, and engaged, rather than merely polite. Bicycles are available for guests. Pool. Sauna. I spent two happy nights there.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business