“Perfect and Romantic”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Friday Harbor
The Kirk House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 17 Friday Harbor B&B and Inns
“Perfect and Romantic”
Reviewed November 11, 2007

We wanted a romantic B&B to help celebrate our 15th anniversary and we found it with the Kirk House. From the moment we were met at the door by Debbie to the time we left everything was perfect from the ambiance to the comfortable bed to the snacks to the delicious breakfasts. And even something that couldn't be controlled -- we had wonderful tablemates each day at breakfast as well. There is no question as to where we'll stay the next time we go to San Juan Island.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed October 8, 2007

My husband and I stayed at The Kirk House B&B for our wedding anniversary and had a wonderful stay in the Arbor Room. The house was impeccable, and our room was tastefully decorated and extremely comfortable. Each morning, Debbie served her award-winning granola which was delicious -- I'll be making her recipe shortly -- and in the afternoon she set out freshly baked cookies. We visited during off-season so got a deal on our stay, but would consider staying there during high-season as well. It's within walking distance to downtown Friday Harbor.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wildhonu
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 10, 2007

Debbie and Allen, the hosts at the Kirk House B&B will meet you at the door, show you to your charming room, the fresh plate of cookies and coffee/tea bar, give you all the basic info you need and get out of your hair allowing you to discover Friday Harbor and the San Juan Islands at your own pace.

We stayed in the Garden Room, the smallest of the four rooms in the house, and were quite comfortable. I believe we paid about $150 per night with tax. The queen-sized bed was comfortable, the room was very clean and the charm of the old building was irresistable. I recommend liking the person you're staying with. Otherwise, this particular room might be a little snug. Other rooms are more spacious, with bathtubs, rather than a standing room only shower. Of course, you'll pay a bit more for those.

There are old stained glass windows above the main windown in the room which do allow light in the room in the morning and throughout the day. So, if you need absolute darkness to sleep, this isn't the place for you. (I found the soft amber light just perfect for afternoon naps!) I've also learned that harbor towns can be a little noisy. There are two small airports on the island and the seaplanes can be loud. I got used to them by day two. Some people find them too loud for comfort. The downtown area of Friday Harbor can be loud, too. The ferry docks with a blow and the cars driving on and off the ferry can be noisy. That's why I was glad we didn't stay on the waterfront. I don't think it would have been quiet enough for sleep in the mornings and when the bars close at night.

Debbie makes tasty breakfasts! I am IN LOVE with the Kirk House granola. Debbie told me I can find the recipe on the website. I love her willingness to share!

The B&B is not on the waterfront, but just a few blocks away from the dock and the bustle of downtown.

While we were there, the Friday Harbor High School Wolverines were taking on the King's Cross Knights of Shoreline, Wash. for the first home football game of the season. We sat on the porch, watched the game and enjoyed the charm of a small town on game day. (Ask Allen to tell you the story about their neighbor and the touchdown cannon blasts.)

There's plenty of room from privacy at the Kirk House. Debbie and Allen are there if you need them, but don't hover. They can point you to the best places on San Juan Island to view orcas. We were lucky enough to see all three pods in one day! (We're lucky... the couple who stayed in the same room the four nights before we arrived went whale watching everyday and didn't see one orca!)

I really enjoyed my three nights at this B&B.

Restaurants: Every dinning establishment is casual on the island, but some are higher scale than others. And nothing's really cheap. We expected that. It's a tourist hot spot that has to make the most of the summer, right?

Backdoor Kitchen: $$$ (on $-$$$$ scale), tasty, good service. This was our fancy "date dinner." Reservations on warm summer nights are a good idea. I had the chicken and mushroom pasta. It was good, but not extremely memorable. My handsome date had the fresh salmon... a much better choice. It was excellent. Perfectly seared and topped with a refreshing tomato-citrus salsa. The stuffed corn masa cake as an appetizer is really splendid. The two cocktails were okay, but lacking in presentation.

Downriggers: local hot spot with spectacular view of the harbor, $$-$$$, fresh fish, service was slow but friendly. I had the fresh salmon.

Front Street Ale House: pub fare, pizza, $-$$. I wasn't amazed by the food, but it was definitely edible. What more can you ask for from a pub? The beer was cold.

Roche Harbor's Madrona Bar & Grill: On the opposite side of San Juan Island. Very tasty! $$. I recommend the lamb burger with the house slaw. Always a 20+ minute wait on warm summer days. Lovely view of gorgeous boats from the desk. Seahawks game on the TV inside the bar.

• Liked — It's old fashioned charm and easy access to dowtown/dining at Friday Harbor.
  • Disliked — A secure bike rack would have been nice, but that's it, really.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank feliciaheaton
Arizona
Reviewed August 29, 2007

The Kirk house was a first class experience throughout our three day stay. Allen and Deb were great hosts, while the room and food were flawless. Friday Harbor is a very enjoyable, relaxing place to visit, and the Kirk House accentuated every experience.

• Liked — Location and comfort
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe_Mama4
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed July 30, 2007

The Kirk House looks like an untouched model Craftsman home. The wallpaper, furnishings, woodwork, etc. are all exquisite.

We stayed in a room that had been converted from a dining room, The shower was HUGE. Very comfortable room & bed, and gourmet breakfasts.

As others have commented, it is an easy walk to all the downtown restaurants, shops, and the ferry.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank JJTJBQ
taunton
Reviewed July 13, 2007

This is a delightful bed and breadfast that lives up to the great reputations of many bed and breadfasts. The owners, Debbie and Allan, create a welcoming and very organize environment. The breakfasts are really superb - the homade granola really is a plus. The days that we visited were exptremely hot. Despite this, Debbie had a portable air conditioner and advised us on how to best keep the environment cool - it worked. The beds are very comfortable and the home is walkable to downtown. I would definitly go there again!

Stayed July 2007
Orcas Island
Reviewed April 5, 2007

My husband and I went to the Kirk House earlier this year for their Centennial Special. The Kirk House is a 1907 Craftsman in the town of Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands. The owners, Debbie and Alan, have decorated the B&B in period furnishings that literally took my breath away when we walked in the front door. The beautiful woodwork, inviting fireplace, and craftsman details throughout the house really showed off the best of the Arts and Crafts era. Debbie had afternoon coffee and tea available, along with some goodies she had baked. When we came back from dinner, we chose a dvd from their selection, then watched it from the privacy of our room. The bed lulled me into a deep and restful sleep. I didn't want to leave it in the morning, but the smells of their multi-course breakfast were too tempting to resist. Breakfast started with their homemade granola, creamy yogurt and fresh fruit. If it had stopped right there, I would have been full and happy, but Debbie kept bringing out more. The entire breakfast was delicious and beautifully served. They were informative about places to go on all of the islands (we are new to Orcas, and still learning about the San Juans), so we got a good education, too.

• Liked — Delicious food and beautiful Craftsman architecture
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
#5 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Edenwild Boutique Inn
Edenwild Boutique Inn
#1 of 2 in Lopez Island

Been to The Kirk House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!