“Best Family Experience..Loved it”

San Juan Kayak Expeditions
Ranked #8 of 25 Tours in Friday Harbor
More attraction details
Owner description: Specializing in 2, 3, 4 and 5-day sea kayaking trips and half-day, full-day and sunset sea kayak tours in the beautiful San Juan Islands. Experienced, fun and friendly guides, quality equipment and attention to detail. On day tours paddle with orca and humpback whales, harbor seals, porpoise, bald eagles, otters and stellar sea lions! On multi-day trips kayak with orca whales too! We've been leading quality sea kayak tours since 1980!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Have been on 2 trips with Tim in the San Juan Islands. Would go again! Tim is experienced, kind, and really fun. His knowledge of the marine life and history of the San Juan's contributed greatly to our enjoyment. Felt safe and relaxed as the navigation and trip planning are handled expertly..this was a must as we traveled with our teenagers. Tim connected so well with the kids expecting them to participate in camp set up, paddling, evening games. San Juan Kayak Expeditions has given our family memories for a lifetime and we are grateful!

San Juan Kayak E, Owner at San Juan Kayak Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

You are just a fun magnet, madame! Both of the trips you have been on with me have been total riots, so I can't wait for the next one, as we all know that the 'third time is a charm!" Thank you for taking time to write another testimonial of your second experience!

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"days nights"
"ins and outs"

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Even though the weather was terrible & rainy, we were up to go kayaking. It was to be our first time and my adult daughter & I were really excited. We were paid in full and met the guides, and traveled all the way across the island to arrive at the launch site. At the very last moment, they yanked us aside and canceled our tour! It was too late to do another activity. My daughter was crying and very upset. The only reason given was that we were too "top heavy". So look out, all you busty gals, your gonna get axed at the last minute if your bra size is over a "D".
Mad as hell in San Juan.
PS Even though they said they would refund our money that day, I have yet to see it in my account 2 weeks later.

3  Thank Jeannie J
San Juan Kayak E, Owner at San Juan Kayak Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

As the owner, I am responsible for the safety of all of my clients. My decision was made, therefore, with your safety in mind. Although you were eager to paddle the west side, you would not have been comfortable or safe and would have been a hazard to yourselves and to the others on the trip. You seemed appreciative at the time, so I was surprised to receive this review. I refunded your payment the very next day.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked the full day Whales Ho! trip with San Juan Kayak Expeditions for 09/14. I have kayaked before and knew what to expect, but the pre-trip checklist that Tim shares is still helpful. We met them right across the ferry dock, so it was convenient. Our guide for the day AJ was fun and knowledgeable. He also gave us the option of paddling north or south. We did not see orcas, but I didn't get on this trip with that expectation anyways. If you would feel disappointed if you don't see orcas, get on a whale watching boat to maximize your chances. Personally, I feel kayaking is a much better way to enjoy and explore these waters and there's so much to see anyways - we saw harbor seals, bald eagle, oyster catchers, blue heron, sea stars, jelly fish, sea otter. Another thing to highlight is the quality of equipment used - the kayaks are in great condition and maintained really well.

We build our reputation on our guides and our equipment, and I am glad you appreciated both! Thank you for taking the time to let others know about your experience with us!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife and I are new to kayaking and booked a kayak expedition with San Juan Kayak Expeditions. It was the Sunset Tour and our guide was a young man named Will. Will was very thorough in our pre-trip training and super knowledgeable about kayaking, the different types of marine birds and animals we were seeing as well as some of the historical points of San Juan Island. Will is very good natured and a fun guide but always had our safety and comfort in mind. It was a very pleasurable experience and we have memories that will last a lifetime. We highly recommend San Juan Kayak Expeditions and would be an even bigger bonus if you happen to get Will as your guide. Art & Zsa Zsa Reis, Yakima, WA

1  Thank Art R

Will and I are glad you enjoyed yourselves and felt safe under your guide's tutelage! Will truly is an amazing young man and has a passion for sea kayaking that is contagious!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We used San Juan Kayak Expeditions for an unguided trip to the San Juan's last weekend. Tim and his staff were really friendly and responsive. We rented 3 kayaks. All of their equipment, their facilities, vans, and trailers were in great shape. You can tell that Tim takes pride in his company. The route plan with directions and landmarks they provided worked out great.

Unfortunately we didn't see any whales. Apparently it's been a bad season for them. :-(

One note: bring lots of small dry bags instead of a larger one that's within the specs that Jim provides. It's easy to take more stuff if you can distribute it throughout the kayak but there definitely isn't room for large dry bags.

San Juan Kayak E, Owner at San Juan Kayak Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

You guys pulled off the specified route flawlessly! I'm very glad you appreciated the quality equipment we rent to adventurous guests. We take pride in our gear and know that it makes you safe! Although the equipment list I send to all rental clients specifically mentions the best size for your bags, thanks for the hint to all readers. May the tide be with you!