“Standard waterfront food and prices”

Blue Water Bar & Grill
Ranked #23 of 67 Restaurants in Friday Harbor
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Good but not great food but a good selection of beer on tap and nice view of the waterfront. (Rodeo burger had a whole lot of bacon on it.)

There are newer reviews for Blue Water Bar & Grill

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We went for lunch. It was pricy but good. I ordered the blackend salmon salad and it was excellent. My husband and daughter were less pleased with their meals. The staff was friendly but slow.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

My mom and I just went up to the San Juan Islands to kayak. We only had about an hour to eat before our trip started and decided to give Blue Water Bar and Grill a try. We were glad we did. We were seated within a few minutes at a table by the window with great views of the harbour and ferry dock. There was outside seating, which would we could have opted for, but the atmosphere and decor inside had us amused.

My first impression of the menu was actually not so enthused, with 3 salad selections, 1 soup, 4 sandwiches, 5 'basket' items and all the rest burgers, I had a little bit of a hard time deciding on something that wouldn't sit so heavy in my tummy. I must say though, even though I wasn't in the mood for burgers at that time, what they offered was really tempting. Next time I go there I will have to try one of their burgers. I went with what I figured would be a typical small plate of Fish Tacos for a very reasonable price compared to their other seafood dishes. My mom went with the basket of Fish & Chips (2 piece).

Wowza, were we surprised to see the portions! We both had huge pieces of cod on our plates, and it was excellent. We were both really impressed with the boisturous flavors, presentation and overall quality of each component on our plates. Our waitress was great too. She was kind, quick, and came around just at the right times. When my drink was empty, without hesitation she filled it before I even realized it was all the way gone. I noticed she just floated around the whole restaurant, inside and out, like this assisting all her guests with the same attentiveness.

We were able to sit down, enjoy ourselves, the view, the food and the service and still have a few minutes to meander around town before our guide came to take us to our kayaking spot.

1  Thank BreRachelle
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The restaurant had a nice view and decent food, but I had hoped that it would be a little more upscale with the prices that they charge.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Blue Water is one of several dog-friendly restaurants in Friday Harbor...outdoor patio only, of course...so that was one of the reasons we selected this place. We're really happy we did!

Located close to the water and docks in "downtown" Friday Harbor, Blue Water has lovely views.

We did have some problems deciding what to order as they had run out of several of the fresh seafood specials that we were most interested in...but that was perfectly OK...it means they are serving limited-supply, fresh seafood...and when it's gone, it's gone! We can totally appreciate that!

So although I wasn't able to get the fresh, local oysters...or the wild-caught salmon...I was able to get their last order of steamed clams...and they were fabulous! A big bowl brimming with lots and lots of plump, freshly steamed clams, served in a delicious garlicky broth with a generous side of garlic toast (although I do wish it had been plain crusty french bread)...end result? Bliss!
My companion ordered their cod fish and chips...he was very satisfied with 3 huge pieces of fresh, tender fish deep-fried in a golden, crispy batter...served with a big mound of the most delicious fries...(I don't know what they do to their fries, but they were really unique...and I want them again!)

Really, really good food, personable and attentive service, reasonable prices, an unbeatable view and our dogs sitting right next to us...what a memorable evening in Friday Harbor!

We will be back!