“We had two nights in Friday Harbor ... and had to eat here twice!”

Cask and Schooner Public House & Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located just off the waterfront in Friday Harbor, Cask & Schooner Public House & Restaurant is Friday Harbor's premiere maritime themed english pub offering distinctive rustic fare and well crafted libations.
Puyallup, Washington
“We had two nights in Friday Harbor ... and had to eat here twice!”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

This is a highly rated restaurant, and TripAdvisor contributors apparently don't lie. The first night we were in Friday Harbor we decided to try it. We loved it!

My wife had the fish and chips (which was on a par with anything we've tasted elsewhere), and I had a wonderful smoked chicken sandwich. But the best part was the salad we split ...

I love beets, she hates them, but we decided to split a beet salad anyway after the server (who was excellent) described it to us. The beets were blanched or somehow drained of their potent redness, which made them fit into the salad even better. My wife actually criticized me for dipping into her half of the beets! It's served on a bed of greens, with sliced apples, blue cheese crumbles, and a delicious rosemary vinaigrette.

The second night we actually intended to visit the most highly rated restaurant in Friday Harbor, the Duck House, but it was closed for construction. So, back to the Cask n' Schooner we went. This time I had the fish 'n chips, and she had a lamb burger, which was recommended as a favorite by a local. It was nothing short of amazing. Truly medium-rare lamb, with very tasty fixings and greens.

Highly recommended, and a moderate/reasonable price. Both times we had to wait a bit for a seat, even though we were in mid-week, so if you come on a weekend, I'd suggest being prepared to wait.

Visited April 2012

Sequim, Washington
“Yum!”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Great atmosphere, wonderful food. The service was fast even though it was the supper hour and guests were beginning to pile in.

Kamloops, Canada
“A pleasant surprise -”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Went in for dinner anticipating a pub like dinner and was genuinely surprised at a terrific menu for both food and drink.

My wife and I enjoyed the dinner --- She enjoyed the pasta with clams, bacon and spinach in a wine sauce, along with a glass of wine. She recommends this dish.

I began with oysters on the half shell [ and a decent martini] which were quite tasty and of a medium size. My main course was delicious --- it was similar to a sea food stew with clams, scallops, shrimp and cod, in a nice broth base, served with lovely bread.. Cannot remember the exact name of it but it is located three items from the bottom of the menu.. I would order this again --- seafood at the sea --- delicious.

Friday Harbor, Washington
“Clam Chowder”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

The Cask and Schooner has the best clam chowder in Friday Harbor. It's made from scratch with real razor clams. If you are a fan of country-gravy style chowder, this isn't for you. It's thick enough, without being pasty.

My other half likes the burgers here, as they are hand pressed, grilled and made of local beef.

Although it is pub-like, the interior is beautiful. Especially if you appreciate craftsmanship and a nautical theme.

Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful food and service”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We stopped in here for lunch during a day trip to Friday Harbor and we were really happy with our meal here. The restaurant is a close walk from the ferry and has a cozy, charming atmosphere inside. My husband was hankering for a burger (which somehow turned into us all wanting a burger) and this place was suggested to us, though we were forewarned if we were pressed for time we may want to try elsewhere.

I did find the meal pace was maybe a little more leisurely than a usual lunch out, but we were killing time anyway. Our server was really sweet and friendly, asked us about our trip, suggested other interesting things to do in the area.

I subbed out a salad for the fries with my burger for an extra fee, and thought their balsamic dressing was wonderful. We all ordered burgers and my only complaint - despite asking us how we'd like our burgers done and our answers being pretty varied from well done to very pink, our burgers were all cooked through to somewhere between medium or medium-well. Even though my burger was more cooked through than I prefer, it was still really good.

Their menu had so many diverse options, I'd love to go back again and sample some different items when we don't all have burgers on the brain.

• Visited February 2012