“Peaceful Island Haven”
other travelers have booked this property
Private Hot tub at Sunny Knoll, view to Canada
Ferry From Anacortes Welcome!
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
Ferry From Anacortes
Welcome!
One of three private entrances.  This one enters through the library.
Deck , faces west to sunset and Haro Straights
Relaxation calls.
Morning Guests
Welcome!
A great escape
Larger of the two bedrooms.; featuring two beds, down comforters, sitting area with tv.
New Kitchen as of 2016!
bathroom
Stone path from your private deck to the hot tub and shower house.
Beaches ready for exploration.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Medford, Oregon
“Peaceful Island Haven”
Reviewed July 30, 2012 for a stay in July 2012
people found this review helpful

Our stay at Sunny Knoll was an awesome surprise. Liza welcomed us warmly and we had the most relaxing time that I can remember. The quiet solitude was most relaxing.  We had deer visit each night.  This experience was far better than any Hotel or Resort or rental home and we will definately return. I had no trouble at all getting to her home, which is secluded on a hill, and I drove my dodge charger up with no problem at all.  We had the entire outdoors to ourselves including the ping pong table and basketball court.. Thank you Liza and looking forward to seeing you again.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Quiet solitude
Liked least: Nothing.
Traveling group: Teenagers
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks Ed!
It was a joy to host your family. People like you generate the love and peace that make the world go round!
Dennis R
Rogue River, Oregon
“Over Rated, Over Priced and Dangerous”
Reviewed July 2, 2012 for a stay in June 2012
people found this review helpful

Sunny Knoll was a disappointment. The photos on the Trip Advisor page are misleading (you can’t see a ferry from the house). Hard to access on a steep gravel road, the place was indeed quiet, except for the nearby firing range that spoiled the mood. An extra $50 a night for the fifth person pushed our three night stay to over $800. The worst parts were safety issues. The split-level deck is an allusion, a trip hazard that caused three of us to stumble. I, a senior in my upper 60s, missed the step and fell to the second level! There are no hand rails on the deck steps. There are loose stepping stones at the front entrance. The microwave keeps running when you open the door. The showerhead leaked, which I tightened with my hands, as I did with the bedside lamps that could have been an electrical hazard. There are many maintenance needs around the house and yard, such as nail heads and splinters sticking out of the treehouse where children could get seriously hurt. Fussy restrictions regarding the white carpet, the hot tub and water use had us glad to leave.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The bed where I spent much of my time.
Liked least: The safety and trip hazards all around the house and yard.
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Jul 1, 2012
Dear Dennis,
I am sorry you were not happy here!
The entry step has already been cemented securely.I will happily replace the microwave. I didn't know there was any problem with it, you are the first to mention it.
All my decks and railings meet county code. I am very sorry you stumbled.
Thank you for tightening my shower head and bedside lamps!
The tree house and swings are routinely checked for strength and stability.I didn't see any nails but now i will go take a look, thanks for the tip there.
I post a close up photo of the ferry at sunset because it is part of the island experience of getting here.I guess I figured anybody looking at a "mountaintop get away" would know it wasn't on the water. I am sorry you didn't like the price, but it is clearly stated on my website.
There is no firing range on the island. Our sheriff's department uses the various gravel pits for target practice and occasionally the one a mile below my house is used, but that is only a couple times a year for an hour or so. All island homes located outside of town run on private wells. Many of them have water that smells like sulpher. Mine happens to be delicious and scent free from a depth of 480 feet.. It's not so much a restriction as a point of caution that if five people take long showers one after the other there is a chance we will run the well dry for a few hours.That has actually never happened. The only time I have run mt well dry was when I accidentally left the garden hose running!
I ask that everybody showers before they use the hot tub, and there is a heated shower house right there by the tub.I am sorry if this is fussy, but it helps to keep it super clean which I care about..Was there anything else..?
Oh yes, the steep road. Sorry I am not sure what to do about that.!
Oregon
Reviewed May 2, 2011 for a stay in August 2010

Check in / front desk Service
Traveling group: Family with young children
Your age range 45-54
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Large groups Rugged travelers
Seattle WA USA
Reviewed May 2, 2011 for a stay in February 2011
person found this review helpful

Traveling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 45-54
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
cass_sea
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
“Staying in Paradise”
Reviewed April 27, 2011 for a stay in April 2011
people found this review helpful

After making it to the top of a very steep driveway, you are close to the highest point on San Juan Island, and consequently have quite possibly the best view on the island! There is a beautiful moss covered rock outcropping ideal for watching the sun set from. There is an outdoor hot tub for watching the night sky, and the garden this time of year was full of fragrant hyacinth and other beautiful bulbs. Indoors, there are large windows to further enjoy the beauty of the outdoors. There is an impressively large library to peruse including fiction, non-fiction, children's stories, etc. which occupied me for hours. The walls are nicely decorated, and the furnishings are inviting. The kitchenette is not ideal for full-on cooking, but suffices quite well for making a quick breakfast. The owner, Liza, is warm and welcoming and I greatly look forward to staying there again next time life brings me back to the San Juans.

Traveling group: Solo Traveler
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway A romantic getaway
Families with young children Families with teenagers
Tourists
Apr 27, 2011
Thanks Cassie, you are a Gem!!
I hope to see you again... I can still see your cosmic headband in my minds eye..and I know you are juts across the water although the sky is so low today I cant see the observatory..

Love and best to you,
Liza
yovercast
Durham, North Carolina
“Total Zen”
Reviewed March 17, 2011 for a stay in August 2010

Myself, partner and out 2 children,ages 8 & 10, have a magical time at Sunny Knoll. Our accomodations were more than comfy with plenty of space to spread out. There is an awesome sauna in the main room that will take the stiffness out after a day of hiking and exploring the island. The outdoor hot tub gives you an open sky of stars to view. You are going to see more shooting stars than any where else. Whale watching from the shore was breath taking. The best part of Sunny Knoll was Liza, the owner. A true, pure spirit and our children still talk aboout her. We will return to Sunny Knoll soon.

Traveling group: Family with Young Children
Your age range 50-64
Rugged travelers
elizabeth...
Portland, Oregon
“Scenic, peaceful mountain retreat- with lovely jacuzzi!”
Reviewed February 24, 2011 for a stay in February 2011

My husband, 2 1/2 year old daughter and I were looking for a guest house or B&B that we could have for a weekend getaway in the San Juan Islands (our first trip there). As most B&Bs are either closed to children or outrageously expensive, I thought we were going to have to stay in a bland hotel/motel until I stumbled across this fantastic mountain guest house-- with a jacuzzi under the stars too! (which was a key thing I wanted)

The location- was fantastic! Up in the hills overlooking rolling hills of trees that trickle down to a view of the Puget Sound, it was intimate, quiet, peaceful and awe inspiring. While it sounds so remote, it took less than 10 minutes to drive from the guest-house to Friday Harbor-- so it was also incredibly close to town!

The guest quarters were lovely. Beautiful, immaculate and welcoming. There's a great family library you can peruse, 2 bedrooms, and a nice shared bathroom. The only downside of the entire guest quarters was the very small 'kitchenette' which consists of a small counter-top fridge and convection-oven/microwave, along with some plates, cups and silverware. No sink or stove-- so all dish washing must be done in an outside wash-basin or rinsing glasses in the adjacent bathroom sink. While this isn't our optimal layout (we like to cook), it's easily remedied by a) bringing a cooler for additional cool-storage and b) planning menus that don't require significant cooking (sandwiches, charcuterie, salads, etc).

The landscape space surrounding the location is lovely. A lovely deck overlooks broad swaths of grass next to the house which provide ample room for kids to play, along with a swing, a basketball 1/2 court, and a lovely view area to overlook the mountains. The area must also be home to a resident deer family, because each day as we arrived/departed, we saw them trotting around-- and one night while we were in the jacuzzi they wandered into the field and checked us out for a few minutes.. Truly a lovely experience. My favorite part however, was sitting in the fantastic jacuzzi and looking up at the stars, which are unsullied by light pollution and subsequently gorgeously bright and sparkling.

Liza, the proprietress, was absolutely wonderful. She actually went to the library and checked out a bunch of books for us to read to our daughter-- what a personal, thoughtful touch! Such a kind and wonderful lady. It was a pleasure to meet her.

If you are looking for a location where you can escape and truly relax and enjoy the quiet beauty of nature, I HIGHLY recommend this location. If you appropriately plan for the limited cooking situation, you will find that everything about this guest house makes it a perfect mountain retreat.

Traveling group: Family with Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Rugged travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
$199
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your vacation rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing