“It's the hotel that brought me to Friday Harbor”

and 1 more site!
The Island Inn at 123 West
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Friday Harbor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I've been meaning to write this review for months - stumbled across the Island Inn at 123 West on some website and it looked so awesome that we booked a trip to Friday Harbor just to stay there over Labor Day weekend last fall (I confess I'd never heard of the San Juan Islands before, not having spent any time in the Pacific Northwest). What a great choice. This was like having our own loft apartment for the weekend (I understand the property was originally developed as lofts for sale but repurposed when the economic downturn hit). We were able to cook our own meals and we loved all the space we had to spread out and lounge around. We had lovely corner views of Friday Harbor and our own private rooftop terrace area where we sat and watched the sunset over dinner and then watched the sunrise the next morning. Staff were welcoming and helpful when we checked in and had questions during the stay, but not at all intrusive. They're there if you need them but we were happy to do our own thing.

The Island Inn has some clever branding including the phrase, "Ready... Set... Relax" and that's exactly what we did here. I'm just sorry that Friday Harbor isn't an easy getaway for us from Chicago because I'd be here frequently if we lived in Seattle.

Also, the steam shower and the high end shampoo and conditioner they provide were heavenly. I've been using that brand at home ever since, although it turns out that the Island Inn steam shower was the real secret to how great my hair looked and felt that weekend.

Room Tip: Get one of the penthouses with a view of the harbor if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Konafire
123Innkeeper, Guest Relations Manager at The Island Inn at 123 West, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Hello Konafire,

Wow! We really appreciate your visit and the time you’ve taken to share your experience with us! We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your digs and our service – we take great pride in offering our brand of INNtuitive guest service and can’t wait to welcome you back!

The Island Inn ‘Friday Harbor’ Ambassadors

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Island Inn exceeded my expectations. We are used to high end accommodations and travel a great deal, so I am seldom so pleasantly surprised. We stayed in Penthouse 1 which has an amazing view of the entire harbor. The architecture of the Inn is very unique and has a somewhat European flavor. But be prepared for a fair amount of stairs. The penthouses were originally built to be sold as condos but have been converted to Inn rooms which explains their generous size and excellent finishes and features. While pricey, I rated our experience an excellent value because of the size, the quality of the accommodations and the priceless view. We were fortunate to have fantastic weather so spent a great deal of time on our private deck, wine glass in hand, enjoying the activity of the harbor below us. The Inn has about the best location in Friday Harbor with it's easy walk to most of the best restaurants and the town itself. We enjoyed dinner at The Place next to the ferry dock which has the best baked oysters I've ever had. A local friend also directed us to Vinny's Italian restaurant just up the stairs beside the Inn. It too was excellent.

Our experience was so positive that I can find little to say on the negative side. I did rate the quality of sleep 4 rather than 5 stars not because of the quality of the beds/linens which are excellent, but because of the noise of the ferries. The first night we left the windows open and heard the generator of the ferry that overnights at the dock and the back up alarms of the trucks loading at 5:30 am. However, we closed the windows the second night and were not disturbed. I'd say it's a minor price to pay for the entertainment of watching the ferries come and go. If you don't experience great weather permitting outside deck seating, the other downside is that the modern furnishings in the living area are too low to allow great viewing of the harbor. The upstairs bedroom is a much better place to sit but only has one chair.

This is a beautiful and well managed Inn. From the initial contacts regarding reservations, to the follow up calls to provide assistance at arrival, to an early check in, help with faxing some legal documents and helpful information about the town, this staff knows how to run a top notch Inn. We only stayed two nights, but will most certainly return again and stay longer. I highly recommend the Island Inn.

Room Tip: Loved Penthouse1 with front row view of the harbor and private deck off the side of the master bedro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Calwine,

We’re so glad we had the chance to surprise you and are thrilled that you enjoyed such a great experience with us! As you note, we are smack INN the middle of all the action the harbor can serve up and our step•o•meter is handy when booking plus we’re always at the ready to lend a hand.

We look forward to your next visit and sincerely appreciate your INNsight and visit!

The Island Inn ‘Incredible’ Ambassadors

Reviewed July 20, 2013

had a very nice stay in penthouse 4...kitchen was amazing and fruit a nice touch. beds were ok but the shades let in a lot of light even when closed...also no tissues and feather pillows would have been a nice touch....shower is the best- like a spa in your room- steam and GREAT products..the view from roof deck was really great -but watch out those stairs are step!! Overall a nice stay and the people were really nice....

Room Tip: get the roof deck but be prepared for the climb!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
123Innkeeper, Guest Relations Manager at The Island Inn at 123 West, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Hello RobKNewYork,

Thanks very much for your stay and for taking the time to share your experience with us! We agree that our roof decks are pretty awesome while they do require a climb up our version of a ship ladder to soak INN the views. We also sincerely appreciate your tips and look forward to your next visit!

The Island Inn ‘Nice’ Ambassadors

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Island Inn at 123 West over a Saturday night in mid-March. We had purchased a Living Social deal for Sunday night at Friday Harbor House next door, but decided to extend the stay by one night to get more out of our trip. I had (obsessively) read reviews about both FHH and the Island Inn on TripAdvisor, and after finding that the Island Inn had off-season discounts, we decided to book there.

We received a call from a very nice woman (I regret that I can't remember her name) on the ferry ride to Friday Harbor confirming our arrival time and asking whether we knew how to get to the Inn. Once there, we parked in our designated (by name) parking spot and were able to check in early (at 11AM).

We had reserved Sweet 1, which is located directly above the front office and boasts a lovely view of the harbor. At first I was a little concerned that our large window would mean we wouldn't have much privacy from anyone coming up the Inn steps or walking on the street below, but they have installed top down bottom up shades that gave us the amount of privacy we needed without completely blocking out the view and the sun.

Sweet 1 had very cute, sort of modern furniture that we hardly made use of, and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. It was so comfortable that ever since staying there, I would look at the Inn's online store every couple of weeks and toy with the idea of buying one just like it (you can buy most of the items found in the Inn's rooms in their online store). I think I would have spent the entire 24 hours of our stay in that bed if I hadn't gotten hungry or dragged out by my boyfriend.

Other reviews mentioned the heated floors in the bathroom, but I could hardly feel any heat emanating from ours even though I cranked up the temperature. The bathroom was otherwise very nice, I loved the bathtub (and even managed to take a bubble bath) and the bathrobes were really nice and comfortable.

I had such a wonderful, comfortable stay at the Island Inn that I was sad to leave and go next door the next evening. I was even sadder to find that though our room at Friday Harbor House had an equally lovely view, the bed there was nowhere nearly as comfortable and the amenities seemed pretty outdated and worn by comparison to Island Inn.

I can't wait to come back and stay at the Island Inn again -- it was perfect for us.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank titafm
123Innkeeper, Guest Relations Manager at The Island Inn at 123 West, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Hello titafm,

We’re so glad you found us and are excited to hear that you’re really INNto our style and amenities! We’re completely flattered by all of your kind words and understand that our beds and bedding can be habit forming so we recommend a return visit as soon as your schedules allow!

The Island Inn ‘Can’t wait to come back’ Ambassadors

Reviewed June 27, 2013

What a gem. We were so happy to find the Inn- the location can't be beat. And if you are a fan of good design, you must stay here. It's environmentally friendly, well thought out, and the bed sheets are divine! We stayed in one of the economical euro rooms, which does have it's own window. However, you have access to a big lounge area with nice views of the harbor. The staff was great, and wouldn't hesitate staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
123Innkeeper, Guest Relations Manager at The Island Inn at 123 West, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Hello SandymoDC,

We sincerely appreciate your stay and the time you’ve taken to share your experience with us! We’re happy that you enjoyed our style, your euro guestroom and all that bonus space!

The Island Inn ‘Economical’ Ambassadors

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My sister and I stayed here in June and had a fantastic visit. The inn is luxurious, modern, incredibly creative and simply perfect. We could have moved in and stayed for a few months! Eveyone at the Inn was very helpful and friendly, and the creative design of the inn and its rooms was amazing. A perfect stay. We'll definitely return with our significant others for a longer stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ann P
123Innkeeper, Guest Relations Manager at The Island Inn at 123 West, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Hello Ann P,

Thanks so much for your stay and for sharing your experience with us! We’d sure like to have you for a few months and can’t wait until you return with the rest of your crew!

The Island Inn ‘INNovative’ Ambassadors

Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were wed in the park just 50 feet from the front door of the Island Inn. The staff was very sweet and tried really hard to make our stay special. And it was. One of the nicest suites I've ever state in (Penthouse 5) was romantic and surprisingly quiet. We loved it. Loved the staff. And had a romantic wedding that we will never forget. The experience far out weighed the cost.

• Stayed: June 2013
123Innkeeper, Guest Relations Manager at The Island Inn at 123 West, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Hello ChuckandSara,

Congratulations - we’re so happy for you and thrilled that you enjoyed such a memorable experience with us! We sure appreciated being part of your special escape and can’t wait to welcome you back. Anniversaries and Wednesdays are ideal times for a re_turn visit!

The Island Inn ‘Wedding’ Ambassadors

#9 of 11 in Friday Harbor
Friday Harbor Suites
Friday Harbor Suites
#10 of 11 in Friday Harbor

Been to The Island Inn at 123 West? Share your experiences!