Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Review Highlights
Great 3 day trip

Great trip. Highly recommend this company. The equipment is good; the guides are knowledgeable... read more

Reviewed 5 weeks ago
Christine H
Educational kayak tour

My husband and I had a lovely time on our group kayak trip. The guide was really friendly and... read more

Reviewed October 15, 2018
SimpsonBjork
Seattle

All reviews kayak trip bioluminescence tour half day tour bald eagles san juan island great guide camping gear west side harbor seals outdoor adventure dry bags private tour flora and fauna top of the line small group launch site great kayaking
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just returned from a three day trip. Chad was our awesome guide. He was talented, knew how to read the water and made the trip safe and fun. The trip was everything the owner Richard said it would be in his correspondence and on the website. Friday Harbor is a great Island to start your trip. We spent three beautiful days kayaking through the San Juan Islands. We saw some amazing sea life. The camping spots selected were beautiful a provided for some great hiking. The trip was well organized and the food was amazing as promised. I cannot recommend this company enough.

Date of experience: September 2013
1  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We took the full day kayak trip on Thursday. We didn't see whales, but we had a great time paddling down the west coast of the San Juan Island, had lunch then paddled back to the San Juan Park. We saw eagles, sea lions, and fox. Donal, our guide was one of the trip highlights. Donal, was extremely knowledgeable about the history of the area and the natural environment.

1  Thank 651gbb
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I have never, ever kayaked before, but heard that on the islands you've gotta kayak. We weren't sure what company to go with, so I called Discovery (the man we talked to was cheerful and helpful) and Crystal Seas (they were very busy and put me on hold for 5 minutes). Based on the customer service I received on the phone, we chose Discovery.

We met at the shop and were given a quick wildlife talk--if we saw orcas, law states we must stay 200 yards away. We would probably see harbor seals, and we needed to stay 100 yards away from them and not lock eyes (which is intimidating to the seals). We were told that the wildlife is special and needs respect, so we must be careful and steer clear, admiring only from a distance. This was a useful talk and a reasonable and smart request.

We met our guides and drove out to Small Pox Bay (horrible name, but nice cove) in a group of 12 but quickly split into two groups of 6 after we arrived. Our guide, whose name I cannot remember, was awesome--he's been everywhere and was super informative about everything from trees to starfish, went over the equipment, how to get in and out if the kayak, and steering.

We were out for a couple hours and although the tandem kayaks were heavy to carry down to the beach, they were steady and solid on the water. I learned a lot about kayaking in the sea, and was perhaps most focused on figuring all that out than looking at the beautiful coastline. I think I learns a lot and got quite a workout paddling against the current on the way back.

Apparently Discovery has a promise to never have more that eight people in a group and to provide good, safe guides and equipment. We had access to dry jackets and pants and dry bags if we wanted them (you will want them). Other companies that arrived after we were done appeared to have at least 12 or more to a guide and offered no dry gear.

I would highly recommend Discovery. As a novice kayaker and crappy swimmer, I felt safe at every moment; our guide was rad--encouraging, smart, and interesting; I learned a few new things about kayaking (and trees--our guide began his college education studying trees), and I generally had a great time. Kudos, Discovery. You may have made a kayaker out of me!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

After much research of the kayak trips available on San Juan island, we decided to go with Discovery Sea Kayaks and were not disappointed. It was everything we hoped it would be. Our guide Chad was excellent. He is very knowledgeable in the history of the islands, the natural environment and wildlife. The food was amazing and the gear provided was first class. We would recommend this trip to any one interested in expanding on their kayaking experiences, especially those wanting to get their feet wet in dynamic waters. It was a huge confidence builder for us. Thanks Chad!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We took the bioluminesence tour and had an amazing time. The guide was knowledgable and very laid back while being firmly in control. The sea really does light up and, if you're lucky enough to get a clear night, the sky is incredible. He said that few people choose this tour and it's a shame. If you're on the island, take this thing. Unlike whales, the luminescent bacteria are reliably present.