“HIGHLY recommend them!”
Review of Outdoor Odysseys

Outdoor Odysseys
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1987, Outdoor Odysseys has been offering quality guided sea kayaking and whale watch tours in the San Juan Islands of Washington State. Our tours feature an opportunity to search for Orca whales and eagles while paddling. We offer great camp cuisine including Dutch oven cookery and naturalist guides that are extremely knowledgable about the biological, geological and natural history of the area. We have been selected by National Geographic Adventure Magazine as one of the "200 best outfitters" in the world.
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I honeymooned on San Juan Island and did the full day tour of sea kayaking with Outdoor Odysseys. I was one of our favorite parts of the trip, and I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone wanting to try sea-kayaking. From the start, the outfitter had excellent customer service, really trying to make sure the tour group would fit our needs. It was just one other couple and us on the tour which was great. Our guide, Tony, was excellent! Very friendly and very knowledgeable about not only sea-kayaking, but the whole island. He educated us about the island's geology, history, wildlife... My husband and I had never kayaked before, but we picked it up easily with great instruction and felt very safe with our guide. We saw seals, starfish, and orcas during our tour. Another great thing about Outdoor Odysseys, they serve super yummy food, which was a bonus. They also added chocolates to the lunch for us honeymooners! When we return to San Juan Island in the future, we will definitely be doing another adventure with them!

1  Thank Leslie K

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Having taken the exact same trip in 2004 with Outdoor Odysseys, I wanted to share this most memorable of experience with my nephew as soon as he was old enough to tackle 4-6 hours of paddling a day. While I hadn't been on a journey like this with him before, with Outdoor Odysseys I knew I'd be guaranteed a great guide, great food, and a safe journey.

My nostalgia-fueled memory recalled fantastic, personable, knowledgeable guides who competently navigated groups across and through the foibles of the area's tides and currents; who pointed out and provided fascinating perspective on the local flora & fauna; who created the most incredible camp food; and from whom I have so much to learn about the art of being graceful to others!

8 years of building this up in my mind and still it exceeded expectations. Our guide Nikken exuded all the qualities you can read in fellow reviewers thoughts - professional, skilled, delightful, and attentive to everyone's needs. We saw river otters, seals, herons, a vulture, and a pesky raccoon. We wined and dined on 4" thick frittata, thai soup, fresh curry, and a stunning peach upside down cake!

Nikken knew the islands intimately, and on the last leg home her intuition (and maybe some clues via radio) had us paddling through the resident orca whales of J-Pod. Magical! Once home, my 13 year old nephew apparently described the trip to his parents as "life changing"!

I'll be back again when my niece turns 13 - if not before!

2  Thank Janet S
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Our kayak tour with Outdoor Odysseys was the highlight of our week in the San Juan Islands. I called several other kayak outfitters, and OO was by far the most accommodating. They set up a private sunset tour to fit our group's schedule and gave us an awesome group discount. Our guide, Kaitlyn, was super friendly and knowledgeable. She picked us up in the company's spacious van and took us right to the beach where the kayaks awaited us. OO provided all the equipment, including super-helpful splash skirts and bags to store our gear. While there's never any guarantee that you'll see orcas, we were lucky to see three, and super close to our kayaks, too! After learning about the ways that motor-boat traffic negatively impacts the wildlife, I'm so glad we chose to take to the water in unobtrusive kayaks. If you're in the area, make sure to book a tour with Outdoor Odysseys! It will be the best part of your trip!

2  Thank Kimberly W
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I did the Eagles and Orcas day trip, and even though it was overcast for the first couple of hours and the orca were fishing elsewhere, we had a blast, saw some beautiful scenery, and genuinely enjoyed how professional, engaged, and knowledgeable Kaitlin was. I have been on previous trips with Outdoor Odysseys, including multi-day ones, and the guides are all fantastic, the food is delicious, and they do an excellent job of setting the pace according the ability of the group they end up with...I will absolutely paddle with these guys again!

1  Thank bclark428
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My grandson and I took the 2 Day Whale Camp on 08/11 and 08/12/12. Our guide, Magda was fantastic. The adventure was everything advertised and more. We saw stellar sea lions, harbor seals, orcas, bald eagles and more. The food was absolutely amazing. Magda prepared everything fresh and delicious. It was gourmet-au-natural. I couldn't imagine the food could live up to the advertisement at a campground, etc., but it definitely did! I booked this to experience a beautiful memory my grandson and I could keep in our hearts forever and that is exactly what we got. Thank you so much for this opportunity. I couldn't have been more pleased!

Diana Kennedy
Lake St. Louis, MO

kayaker1987, Manager at Outdoor Odysseys, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Diana,

That's great to hear that you and your grandson enjoyed your time with Magda! This is the first season that we've been able to offer our two-day whale camps, and they've been a big hit so far. The whales can indeed be rather elusive at times, but we do our best to offer you a superb and memorable trip with or without their assistance. :) Hope to have you back sometime!

Regards,