“Small Museum”
Review of The Whale Museum

The Whale Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Whale Museum, located in beautiful Friday Harbor, Washington, opened to the public in 1979 as the first museum in the country devoted to a species living in the wild. Today, our museum continues to promote stewardship of whales and the Salish Sea ecosystem through education and research.
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I had much higher hopes for this museum after reading all the other reviews on here. I understand on a small island, museums will be smaller and have less "bells and whistles"... however, I am surprised it has received such high marks on here. If you are interested in whales, the skeletons and some of the information is worth seeing. There are a few videos that you can sit down to view as well.

1  Thank Laura H
There are newer reviews for The Whale Museum

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

I was lucky to go by myself while the rest of the family went ziplining. Spent a happy hour and a half pottering, but I know my kids wouldn't have lasted half an hour. Nicely old fashioned, lots of reading to do. Two good films to watch if you have time too.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Warm and friendly staff who were willing to answer all questions. Take the time to sit and watch informative video. Exhibits well organized and some are child friendly.

Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

The museum is a great place to visit..My 7 year old is fascinated with whales, specially Orcas. We are from the East Coast, and since we are in WA this was a place we couldn't leave without visiting...We loved it. It's even better than how it's described in the web...My son was very happy to learn about the all the whales.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

If you love the orcas of the San Juan islands, this is a must-see stop. I have taken my children here before and found it to be informative and fun. We are part of the Adopt a Whale program and love the updates we receive.