See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 21, 2019

Unfortunately I have zero, good things to say about our stay at the San Juan Island Hostel,. What's up??? because you are in Friday Harbor, that somehow justifies the misleading descriptions and conditions??? This place is a Hostel alright, a hostile environment, and hostile management. But nothing compares to being sold a separate room in What they are making out to sound more like a hotel, then the derelict, old, fire trap that it is. We booked a private room, with a Full bed and a twin bed, nowhere did our reservation did it mention that there is no bathroom, nor did it mention that there is no window either!! not good enough for you?? nor did it mention that the hallways are so noisy and squeaky that sleep would be impossible!! Oh yeah, and did they also forget to mention that it really isn;t a Full bed, and a separate twin bed, but that it's actually a " BUNK BED" ?? OMG get me the hell out of here, except there was no where else to go at that point. Expensive?? you mean that you think a hundred dollars for a 8foot by 9foot closet is expensive??? are you kidding me? it'[s not expensive, its a rip-off!!!
Noise?? oh yeah, all night. without a doubt one of our worst hotel/hostile experiences ever!

Room tip: stay elsewhere
Date of stay: July 2019
Reviewed August 19, 2019

The location is perfect! I was able to walk everywhere I wanted to go.

The room was clean and and the amenities were more than expected. The staff was helpful, kind and professional. My only complaint is there were a couple of noisy patrons who didn't adhere to the posted quiet hours, and we didn't know the procedure of how to bring this to the attention of the night manager.

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed August 19, 2018

I was grateful to find a budget-friendly place to stay on San Juan island. I only stayed one night at this hostel, but would definitely stay here again as I hope to return to the island sometime. The hostel has everything you need - lockers, kitchen, multiple bathrooms, free towels, even soap and shampoo in the showers. I stayed in a 4-bed female room, and each bed was full with individual travelers, and one summer intern from France. Check in/out was easy. I didn't find the staff especially warm and friendly, but they were helpful and that was fine by me! The location is good, easily walkable from the ferry and to all shops, restaurants in Friday Harbor town.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2018

I stayed here with my friends for a wedding. There was nothing wrong with the hostel itself, it was clean, the staff was friendly, and it was conveniently located. No, what was actually wrong was that the staff was TOO friendly. Quiet hours were clearly posted from 10pm - 8am. The lights in the common area were supposed to be off starting at 10pm. Well, we stayed here during the World Cup, and every night there was SO MUCH NOISE. People hung out in the common room well into the night, laughing, with the TV and lights on, and playing board games. After failing to fall asleep for an hour, I went out and asked the group that was watching the TV to keep it down because I couldn't sleep. They said OK, but within 20 minutes were back to their previous volume. I then went to the staff and asked them if the quiet hours were actually starting at 10pm (this was around 11:30pm). He said yes, and asked me if I wanted earplugs. I couldn't believe it! I took the earplugs, and so did my two friends, and we tried to go back to sleep. I didn't fall asleep until after 2am, when the group finally went to bed.

NEVER in staying at a hostel (which I do often) have I had this happen! Quiet hours are normally enforced diligently, with NO exceptions. Disappointed.

Room tip: Ask for a room away from the common room for sure.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Mary K
Reviewed November 9, 2017

Stayed for two nights for the Friday Harbor Film Festival. The hostel was easy to find and we were able to check in at noon. Clean rooms with sheets and towels. Clean showers and a nice common area with fridges and a stove.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Dawn F, Assistant Manager at San Juan Island Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2017

Thank you for the feedback we are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay here! We hope to see you again in your future travels.