“Beautiful Resort”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Friday Harbor
Petaluma, California
“Beautiful Resort”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights in the lodge and one night in the canvass cottage. Originally we booked three nights in the cottage, but worried about the weather and decided to rebook are reservations. Unfortunately, only two nights were available at the lodge so we kept the last night at the canvass cottage. Daryle at the front desk took both my calls and was so helpful and nice. I got to meet her at the lodge and she remembered me and our conversation. I was so impressed, I'm sure she speaks to many customers but she remembered my concerns. My husband and I both felt like we knew her and she was like a good old friend. We were celebrating our 37th wedding aniversary and she gave us a bottle of wine. I thought that was just so sweet.

We had a beautiful room with a lake view on the second floor. It had a comfortable bed, a balconey and hugh bathroom . Everything was clean and first class. After two nights I didn't want to leave, but the room was already booked. I was so surprised when we moved our luggage to the canvass cottage. It was just so beautiful, right on the lake, with a deck, a comfortable bed , and a shower and toilet inside. It wasn't real cold as I had feared. The hot water bottles that are put into the foot of the bed at night really keep your bed nice and toasty. I absolutely loved both accommodations and am so happy that my husband and I experienced both.
I have to mention that the staff at this resort go out of there way to make you comfortable. I just loved Daryle, and many other staff workers. Katie at the front desk was so helpful, anwering many questions, helping us figure out how to work the remote control for the TV. (she had to come to our room and show us). Also a gentlemen (I didn't get his name) who was so kind to get me a hairdryer and leave it in the cottage along with the hot water bottles. When we returned to our cottage at night the dryer was on the table and the hot water bottle in the bed. And Maryann who prepared the breakfast each morning . She really took pride and care in setting up the buffet. She made omletts to order and was just so friendly to everyone. I was impressed with how fresh everything was and the variety.
I had the best vacation and definitely plan and returning

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Portland, OR
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

So I made a mistake. For the end of a 2 week eurovan adventure through Canada we were looking forward to spending last 5d on San Juan island. We arrived a day earlier than our reservation at a B & B which was full. The owner kindly directed us to lakedale and though the front desk had already closed for the evening, we were able to reach Richard the manager on the after hours phone. He was VERY accommodating and rented us one of the log cabins which was gorgeous and very comfortable. He also knocked $100 off the price due to our late arrival and arranged for us to have breakfast in the dining room of the lodge. Maryanne in the kitchen is a sweetheart and gave us a sack of the yogurt and granola we had complimented her on. Although we were only there for a total of 14h everyone we met and all the accommodations were great. We are in process of trying to plan a return trip with extended family to rent one if the cabins. Thanks again!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Helper, Utah
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Lakedale was very pretty, cabin was gorgeou, cleanliness in the kitchen had a lot to desire. Apples in fridge were rotten, milk had been opened and put back. wanted to cook in the very nice pans, but had to scrub them out first and wished previous guests could have used a s.o.s pad to get rid of burnt gunk in pans. On the pricey side but still nice place to go.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Recently stayed in one of their log cabins. Cabin itself is stunning, seperate bedroom downstairs, loft bedroom upstairs. Operable kitchen with necessary equipment, and a starter package of a few fruits, muffin mix, waffle mix, a few individual milks and juices. Pretty nice first impression.
After settling in, things are different. There's a firepit outside the back door......there's no wood. There's a camping grill (rusty), and still nothing to burn. There is a TV in the living area (no, we didn't go to watch TV), but since there is no cable.........???? If you want your roon serviced, you have to notify the desk by 11:00 (we didn't need it for a 2 night stay), but there is no phone number for the desk, which is in the lodge. It's not that far, but it's not down the hall either. If you want new towels, they go in bag A and hang the bag on hook B by noon. The capper of course was getting up in the morning to find the ants crawling aroung on the kitchen counters. There are very high end liquid soaps for both the sink and the shower, in built in dispensers. There is also a $3 shower head. I would say that things were either very nice, or very not. For the price, I would seek alternatives

Room Tip: People seem more impressed with the permanent canvas tents. Not my thing........but if it's for...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jtjems
3Lakes, General Manager at Lakedale Resort at Three Lakes, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Hello jtjems,

Thank you staying and taking time out to tell us how we might improve our service here at Lakedale ! We so appreciate hearing from our guests. We need to do a better job at pointing our that wood is available at our campground store and that the number to the front desk of the lodge is posted under the phone in each room. All cabins have a TV for watching movies from our free video library that is located in the main lodge. We sincerely apologize for having ants in your cabin. Lakedale is located in the country with lots of trees and lakes that bring in all types of insects. Were always trying to make the expirence here as "bug free" as possible !

Thanks for choosing Lakedale and we hope to see you again in the future.

Respectfully,
Karl Bruno
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I am happy to say that we have visited the Lakedale Resort at Three Lakes in August for the past three years; it is a week that we look forward to all year. In our book, this past year was the best yet! General Manager Karl and his team have really up'd the experience this time! The greeting upon check in was very warm and inviting. Morgan, who had originally helped me with my reservation was there and remembered me and gave me a big "hello". Our glamping site was clean and well equipped for us; the bathrooms were kept tidy and well stocked. The "Toasty Turndown" service that was introduced this year is incredible! Hot water bottles placed at the base of your bed so that when you leave the warmth of the fire you do not jump into a freezing cold bed. LOVE! The schedule of events that is provided is really great in helping you plan your day. Firewood delivery rather than having to carry it down from the Gift Shop is a great amenity as well. Quiet time at 10 PM really made you feel like you were all alone on the lake which made the experience so very intimate.

I would also like to make a shout out for Bin Bin. He saw me walking along the gravel path and stopped and offered me a ride in the golf cart; so unnessary but very kind. David at the Gift Shop/Store was incredibly focused on excellent customer service and did it with a smile.

We can not wait to return again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My family has not been camping for years, so we decided that it would be fun to try out the "Glamping" that Lakedale provides. It's a canvas tent with one double bed and one futon. They provide down comforters and sheets for each bed. Every night a staff member brings you a complimentary service called "toasty toes", which is a fleece lined hot water bottle that is placed at the foot of your bed and will keep warm until morning. This was one of my personal favorite service at Lakedale. Each glamping site is almost right next to the lake (we specifically requested one that was directly lakeside,) and every morning we were served a complimentary breakfast.

My only advice to fellow travelers is to keep in mind that you still are camping. There will be kids, and families and tents, and you share a restroom with everybody else. You need to cook you're own dinners, and live with limited cell and internet access, but trust me. You will still be having a great time!

I would highly recommend Lakedale resort, I had a fabulous time, and so did my family! The San Juan island is also a perfect backdrop for a lovely camping trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed September 2, 2012

For a girls weekend, a couple of us girls rented one of the canvas cabins. Super cute tent with nice linens and bedding. Bed and futon were both comfortable. That said, we were sort of told that we could come to the lodge to hang out, but really it was for lodge guests (I wasn't sure if that meant we could but we shouldn't???). Also, the firewood we got and a couple other campers as well, was pretty wet, so lighting a fire with no kindling was pretty impossible (they didn't have kindling). The one lantern we had for our cabin was a wind up and had little to no light, so when it got dark out it was pretty much lights out and bed time for us, since the fire was a non-starter.

We determined we wished we had prepared for more of a camping situation and brought our own wood, duraflames, and lanterns, and maybe even a little hibachi grill. We ended up eating in Friday Harbor for our meals, which was fine because we thought they had a grill, but it was pretty bad and over a firepit, that didnt have a fire (see above).

I'd for sure go again, but bring a few lanterns with me that gave off light, and also bring along more camping necessities to be better prepared. Or rent the canvas king cabin that has electricity and it's own bathroom. :)

I agree with the other reviewers that said that it would be good to have a bar or restaurant other than the General Store. Although fine for my friend and I, I would be hardpressed to take the family into town every meal and if you are really just not hardcore campers, it would be nice to have an option closeby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
Tucker House Inn
Tucker House Inn
#5 of 10 in Friday Harbor

Been to Lakedale Resort at Three Lakes? Share your experiences!