New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“No way this is not the # 1 option in Friday Harbor” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Snug Harbor Resort & Marina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Friday Harbor
Snug Harbor Resort & Marina
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Friday Harbor
nj
“No way this is not the # 1 option in Friday Harbor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

I know, I shouldn't use double negatives, especially not in headlines. But unless you are dying to be right in the heart of town, this place just seems superior to the other options we saw. We went to SJI to get away from hustle and bustle, to connect with nature, and to chill. Snug Harbor offered all of that. The setting was so unbelievably serene- exactly what the pictures showed.
Our cabin was brand new, and my wife, daughter and I felt like we had gone to a special place, without having to die in the process.
As others have said, you give up a few things. There's no restaurant on site, although there is a place to get lattes (etc.) next to the office (this is Washington, after all.) On the other hand, you have a nice kitchen area so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on breakfast or lunch, if you prefer to stay put. Nice grocery store in town provided everything we needed for that. The view was amazing, and led to many nice moments either on our porch or in our cabin. Awesome beds and showers too, along with dvd player and tv, though we did not use the latter.
There were a few things I would have liked to see different. The windows in the front of the cabins don't open, not even at the top, and that restricts ventilation. Not a big problem at night, as it was brisk, but it got a little steamy during the day. Also, their office is only open til 7m, which created a problem, as our zodiac whale watching tour with Western Prince (awesome, by the way,) was leaving at 3, and we couldn't eat dinner in town if we had to rush out to check in. I tried to get an earlier check in, but without going into too many details, they sort of fumbled the ball. I think if they had more experienced front desk staff, the hassle could have been avoided, and this lack of experience popped up another time as well.
All that being said, I stand by the fact that this is an exceptional option. The staff, even those without much experience, were all very nice and wanted to be helpful, so hopefully that will improve with time. The other benefits- including proximity to Lime Kiln, small scale, comfortable quarters in a beautiful setting, etc. far outweighed this, and we would stay again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: rooms up on the hill are a little more private and still have a lovely view of the harbor.
3 Thank chickyskids
SnugHarborOwner, Owner at Snug Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Chickyskids, We truly appreciate the review and the details you shared. I apologize for the challenges at the front desk. You easily should have been able to have a late check in and not had to hurry back after your whale trip. We will continue to strive to provide excellent customer service. The weather for July was fantastic and unseasonably warm. We have found that with the back bedroom window open and the front corner window open good cross cooling does occur. Of course, if it is completely calm, nothing helps. Thank you for staying with us during your trip to the San Juan Islands.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

We picked Snug Harbor for a couple reasons:
-it is waterfront with firepits
-the cabins have kitchens to save on expenses of eating out
-our whale watch tour with Legacy Charters left directly from the harbor
-loved the idea of having a cabin and not a hotel room

We got all this and more! You're able to check out kayaks, bicycles, and paddle boards for free at the front desk. The amenities in the cabin were much nicer than expected. The grounds were quiet and dark... Which being from the city, is a huge deal! I've never seen so many stars, and it was wonderful falling asleep to the sounds of nature.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SnugHarborOwner, Owner at Snug Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear BMalonzo, I hope it wasn't to bright when you got home. Our skys can be even clearer in the winter. Hope we have the pleasure of seeing you again soon. Thank you for the nice comments.
Murphys, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

This place is perfect. The cabins are new and very well appointed. The waterfront location is serene and peaceful. Nice that kayaks and SUP boards are available. Also really enjoyed the fire pits at night. Andy at the front desk was delightful. We will definitely be back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi Perry, I'm glad you enjoyed the complimentary Kayaks and SUPs. Our goal is for our guests to leave relaxed and rejuvenated. (and hopefully planning their next visit but that's another story). I've made sure Andi saw your nice compliment. Hope to see you back soon.
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

I always do a lot of research before booking my vacation. On San Juan Island, I was deciding between staying in Friday, Roche, or Snug Harbor. I decided on Snug Harbor for three reasons. 1) I really liked the idea of staying in a cabin with a kitchen. 2) I liked the fact that the kayaking and whale watching tours leave from right out front. 3) It was close to Lime Kiln park (aka whale watching park.) This was a great decision. The people were very nice and accommodating. It’s not a place where you get daily room service, but I like that. If you need anything all you have to do is ask. I have never stayed at Snug Harbor before so I cannot compare it to how it was, I can only tell you how incredibly wonderful it is now. The cabins are brand new with almost floor to ceiling windows in the living room overlooking the bay. The kitchen has great amenities and there’s a bbq on the patio outside. The furnishings are nicely done with artwork from the region. My typical day consisted of waking up to a beautiful view of the bay, enjoying my coffee outside, doing some activity, (kayaking, whale watching, visiting Lime Kiln, going to town) then arriving home to have a drink while watching what I call the resident seal come for his evening visit. One evening I was able to watch a bald eagle hunt for fish. The resort has kayaks, canoes, paddleboards, and bikes for the guests to use. I didn’t, but thought that was a nice touch. There are two fire pits for the guests to use as well. There is cable TV and internet access. I especially liked that the day trips I planned went right out from the harbor. All other patrons on the trips had to come in from Friday Harbor. There is still work going on. One cabin is getting some finishing touches and the landscaping was going in during my five-day visit. I can only imagine what it’s going to look like when the trees grow in a bit. I’m not sure words can do this place justice, you might just have to go experience it for yourself. If and when I return to San Juan Island, I will definitely stay at Snug Harbor.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank leo28
Leo, Thank you for the expansive review and your attention to our attention to detail. Your description made me want to wake up in the morning and do exactly what you were describing, unfortunately I have to work. A lot of work and many decisions were made in the hope of having our guests experience what you described so eloquently. Thank you for making us feel like we have succeeded in our efforts.
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

All our stress melted away at this beautiful location. We loved the quite harbor views and the proximity to great boating and kayaking. I think the owners attention to detail is fantastic and their interest in the protecting the environment shows with all they have done in the resort. Highly recommend.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Genesis, We are happy to be part of melting your stress away. Feel free to return at any time for more stress reducing therapy. Thank you for selecting us for your San Juan Island stay.
Sammamish, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed in one of the two-bedroom cabins for two nights in mid-June. It was obvious that the owners were in the home stretch of renovations. The check in desk, coffee shop and "store" weren't quite ready. But, it didn't detract from out trip too much. The cabin was well-stocked and large enough for my family of five. The views of the marina were absolutely breathtaking.

I loved walking the docks in the marina and borrowing the SUP, kayak and canoe. I really appreciate that the owners didn't charge for this. We've stayed at other resorts where a simple rental can approach $300. Our family spent a few hours on the water -- highlight of our weekend. The woman making coffees was delightful. We were her first customers! When the "café" is fully operational, it will be a nice addition to the resort. I would also encourage them to stock some meal items, if possible. There really isn't many options nearby...so the ability to purchase some items to grill -- or some fresh produce would be delightful for impromptu meals.

Room Tip: From what I could tell, there isn't a "bad" cabin on the property. They all have water...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Shay, Thank you for the review and I'm glad you loved using our free Kayaks, Canoes and SUPs. They have all been a big hit. We are also working on more extensive offerings from the store. Always a battle with expiration dates and our small boutique size. We hope you'll find time to come see us again.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed in Unit 2 for the July 4th weekend. We have stayed here in years past, even camped on the property when it was available. We have loved the location for years and have rediscovered Snug Harbor Resorts charm with the new renovations. We were lucky enough to be the first to stay in Unit 2, One Bedroom on the water. I can't say enough of the views, the homey feel, extensive kitchen amenities and the resort staff. The lanai offers a bbq, full tables and chairs for four, a dining nook area large enough for 4-6 individuals to sit.

We will definitely return and will be telling our friends about this gem!

Room Tip: All rooms face the water; you can't go wrong. Units 1-3 are over the main lodge/common fireplac...
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Borgey2, I like the sound of Heavenly Harbor. Congratulations on being our first guests in Unit 2! Thank you for returning, it sounds like you have experience every part of the Snug Harbor History. We are happy you are so pleased with the results of our efforts to bring a new Snug Harbor to life. We hope we will see you again soon (and some of your friends) :).