“Wow, an experience of a lifetime!”

San Juan Outfitters - Day Tours
Ranked #8 of 24 Tours in Friday Harbor
Duvall, Washington
“Wow, an experience of a lifetime!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2010

San Juan Outfitters provided an absolutely astounding wildlife watching experience! The Captain’s experience and the Naturalist’s knowledge were a synergistic team that resulted in a once in a lifetime opportunity for us to witness Orcas and other wildlife in a beautiful setting. In our opinion they went above, beyond and have our sincere thanks.

Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A Whale of a Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2009

Wow was this a great experience! We had wanted to go out with one of their competitors which Trip Advisor ratings had highly recommended but the captain of the boat was "off island" as we had arrived toward the end of their season (after Labor Day).

These guys really gave us a good show. The owner, Brian, took us out and what would normally be a 3 hour whale watch trip turned into a 4 1/2 hour trip because he wanted to travel to the most likely place where the whales would be and it was over an hour and a half away. Must have cost him a mint for gas. Boy, did we see some whales! They were all around and it was fantastic. We also enjoyed the variety of people on board - several states represented and Noel, the first mate, made us all feel very welcome and took good care of us. A great end to a wonderful few days in the San Juans.

Seattle
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Perhaps San Juan Island's BEST kayak outfitter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

I have gone on a San Juan Outfitter's kayak tour on each of my yearly trips to the San Juan Islands. Their guides are top-notch and knowledgeable. Their kayaks are stable and well maintained. Even though I have been on both their 3-hour and 5-hour tours I am never disappointed and return refreshed and exhilarated. I was a complete kayak novice the first time I put out with San Juan Outfitters. I have since purchased my own kayak and would consider myself a fairly qualified kayaker. But when I go to the San Juans I leave my 'yak at home and just go out with them.

Seattle, Washington
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Friendly, informative and a lot of fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

Customer service was wonderful. My family of five enjoyed renting the hourly kayak. We cruised around Roche Harbour enjoying the new experience. We rented 2 doubles and a single. Our kids ages 6, 7, and 12 had a wonderful time. We even had the added enjoyment of seeing a harbor seal playing in the water nearby.

Madison, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Pleasant, but not worth the money.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

The staff was cordial enough when we made the reservation on the phone just before boarding the ferry. Because we had a 12 yr old, they insisted that we take the family tour even though we informed them that our 12 and 15 yr olds were up to the task of an adult tour and preferred not to have a "kiddy" kayak experience. Upon arrival, we found that we were grouped with families with quite young kids and that the "3 hr" tour would be pleasant, but geared for the younger children. We were offered an alternative, however, the sunset "3 hr" tour would not have left much time to make ensure making the last ferry off the island. The nice women claimed miscommunication which was a bit too convenient.

The 3 hr tour started with about a 30 min outfitting and tutorial then a pleasant, but rather ordinary paddling hugging the shoreline between the nearest islands. It was a bit windy and the guide thought it best not to push the group and we began our return (along the same route) finishing after 2 hrs of kayaking on a "3 hr" tour for, mind you $300 !! The guides were nice and the paddling was nice, but our kids were treated to what amounted to a "kiddy" tour of Puget sound - no whales (although I concede this not guaranteed by any means), no "3 hrs" of kayaking, but nice. Which is to say, a bit disappointing and certainly not worth $300. I could have bought a decent kayak and had unlimited nice. Thank goodness the weather was beautiful.

2 Thank MadWanderer