“Excellent Kayak Tour for the Whole Family”

San Juan Outfitters - Day Tours
Ranked #8 of 25 Tours in Friday Harbor
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I took our children on the Kayak tour at Roche Harbor this summer. Our kids are 8, 8, and 7 years old. Our 7-year-old is classically autistic and non-verbal. I talked with San Juan Outfitters multiple times before our vacation to make sure that this was something that would work for our family. They had great customer service and answered all of my questions. My youngest had never been on a kayak before. I was very impressed by our guide's willingness to work with him and show him what to do instead of only explaining it verbally. Her patience was incredible. All three kids had a great time and we were grateful that our 7-year-old was able to come with us. It was definitely the best part of our vacation.

There are newer reviews for San Juan Outfitters - Day Tours

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We took a family kayaking trip. The more sheltered waters off of Roche Harbor make an excellent spot for a family trip. We went tidepooling on Posie Island and our daughter LOVED it. Our guide, Meg, was incredibly knowledgable, fun, and great with kids. Would definitely do this again and recommend it to others.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I booked a whale watch boat for my extended family the day after a wedding. We had a great time! They knew exactly where the orcas were-- we watched them (from a legally prescribed di stance) for a long time. Fascinating. The staff provided binoculars for everyone, and had blankets in case we were cold. It was the highlight of our trip to the island--except the wedding :)!

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I booked Kayak, Kenmore Air and whale watching through San Juan Outfitter, their customer support is nice, answers all my question before I arrived (I probably asked over 100 questions about my booking), so I'll say I want to give 5 star to their friendly customer service.
My Kayak is pretty good, I had 5 hours whale searching kayaking, but they did not actually "searching" for whales, they just go out and kayak for 5 hours, along the way you can see some sea lion, star fish etc. but I guess it's hard to see a whale (they did told me, the chance if seeing whales are small when I made my reservation.
The worst thing of all is the whale watching cruise, it was cold, and the boat made huge splash, made me soaking wet, and the Capt. Doesn't really care our viewing, he just stop the boat far far away from the whales and waits there for 10-20 mins then leave the location.

1  Thank Ph0t0trip
nwadventurer31, Owner at San Juan Outfitters - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear Mr. Luh,

Thank you so much for your feedback on our San Juan Safaris and San Juan Outfitters Trip Advisor pages on July 9th. Thank you for acknowledging our wonderful reservations staff and our high quality customer service. We sincerely enjoyed having you as our guests, but were very disappointed in your tour experience for kayaking and whale watch on July 4th. Looking over our email dialogue in March of this past spring, it appears that we did sell our tours accurately, and we did provide the tour experience we discussed in March. You are correct in saying that we do not encounter whales by kayak as often as by whale watching vessel. This is why we encourage all of our guests who travel to the San Juan Islands only to encounter whales to join us for a wildlife tour by kayak and a whale watch tour by motorized vessel, or to schedule multiple full day kayak tours. In regards to watching whales in the wild, we do adhere to all federal NOAA guidelines, which we also did discuss in our email exchanges. We encountered killer whales on our sunset whale watch tour that evening, and did so in a respectful way as to not negatively impact wildlife.

Again, we sincerely apologize that your tour experience did not meet your expectations, but I am struggling to find where we failed to effectively communicate what our tours involve. Please let us know if we could have done something differently to more accurately describe and sell our tours.

Brian Goodremont
Owner I Operator I Captain
San Juan Outfitters
866.810.1483

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We did a 2 day/1 night sea kayaking trip. Our guide, Nick aka Biscuit, was terrific. He was very knowledgeable about the area and the animals. He handled all the personalities in our group very well. The food was good and he was quick to have snacks on hand. The trip was challenging but not too hard. Would def do another trip with them.