“Beautiful Vacation Spot!”

Friday Harbor House
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Friday Harbor
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Friday Harbor House is the place to stay! I brought my husband here for his birthday and he loved it! The view from our room was gorgeous, our room was nice, comfortable and a nice size so you don't feel cramped! Loved the large jacuzzi tub in the room! The Bluff restaurant was delicious...they didn't charge us a corking fee for the wine we bought at the San Juan Winery( another place you have to visit)! All in all a great beautiful comfortable place to visit!

Room Tip: A corner room is great.....room with a view is a must here!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TunieCarnation

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Friday Harbor House is a very nice place for a get-away. Due to an unfortunate mix-up in rooms upon arrival, we were put in a harbor view room on the second floor the first night, instead of a room on the 3rd floor. Staying in that room was not a very good experience. I was woken up at 4AM when the person in the room above us got up to go to the bathroom. Then, from 6AM to 8AM they were doing laps back and forth across the room, moving furniture, opening and closing the sliding glass door. The floor above us was pounding and creaking. It was a terrible way to wake up! DO NOT STAY ON THE 2ND FLOOR, if at all possible. Kudos to the hotel, though - they were very pleasant and accommodating when I asked if we could move to either the 3rd floor or to a room that did not have someone above us. The room we got on the 3rd floor was much nicer and a much more pleasant experience. (I tip-toed around the next morning so as not to disturb the people below, if there were any...) The Bluff Restaurant is also nice - good food. The manager told us that they are planning on doing more improvements to the place. So, I would guess it will only get better. (I say "more", because when I closed the sliding glass door in the bathroom in the 2nd room floor, I thought there was blood splattered all over it. I also saw little drops all over the floor in both sections of the bathroom. I mentioned it to my husband. Upon closer examination, he realized it was stain splatters from when they stained the woodwork in there... LOL One of their "improvements"...) Another note... there is NO SMOKING allowed at the facility. However, we saw a couple rooms where the people would stand on the small balcony and smoke with their door open, so the smoke wafted in to the rooms - not very smart. They have a hefty fee for anyone that smokes and you have to sign an agreement that you'll pay it. I recommend staying there if you are able to get a room on the 3rd floor or a room without someone above you and that has been aired out if there was a previous smoker staying there. We plan to go back.

Room Tip: Room 36 looked like it would have been a wonderful room to stay in, if available. It has windows (a...
2  Thank DSinWA
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Friday Harbor House is a beautiful place to stay. A king room with a view was not available - so we chose two queens with a view of the harbor and it was a beautiful room with a lovely fireplace and view of the lawn area and harbor. Definitely choose a room with a view of the harbor. It's worth it! The Bluff restaurant was fantastic for dinner and the staff was excellent. The breakfast is delicious and extremely convenient. The hotel is extremely convenient for wandering around town and is right next to the ferry terminal as well. We highly recommend Friday Harbor House and will stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the harbor! It's worth it!
2  Thank MDSEagle
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My uncles have stayed here before, and loved it, so on my first visit to Seattle, we decided to visit the San Juan Islands to get a real feel for the Great NW. This hotel was beyond beautiful. We splurged on a room with a view of the harbor, and I was in awe. If you don't want to spend the extra dough for the view, I would still highly recommend this hotel. The rooms are clean, well-kept, and every one has a jetted tub that comes with bath salts (we stayed 2 nights, and they replenished the salts after the first night!). The final bonus of the room is that each has a gas fireplace. What a soothing, peaceful locale. Front desk staff was SO sweet. I had to take an exam that took us right up to check-out time, and we were never rushed, and in fact, she asked how it went afterwards. The bar was small, but well-stocked, and we had some delicious cocktails. We chose VERY well when we had dinner there the first night. They do have a small menu, as stated in some of these other reviews, but no one will be left wanting. They have a 3 or 5 course Prix Fixe meal, with fresh salads, delicious soups, oysters, seafood, cornish game hen (my personal favorite), and desserts to die for. The chef obviously has some great skill! There is a parking lot for guests, and you are just a 2 blocks from the ferry, even if you had to walk with luggage it wouldn't be awful. FREE continental breakfast was PERFECT! Fresh granola, yogurt, coffee, juices, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bagels...everything you could imagine. Do choose the Friday Harbor House. You will be SO happy!!

Room Tip: If you have the money- water view!
1  Thank Lana M
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We are here for my husbands handball tournament! What a great place to stay. Comfy beds and very clean room! Also the restaurant at the hotel The Bluffs was EXCELLENT!!!!! The menu is small but the food and wine selections were perfect!
For sure we will stay here again!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
friday1946, General Manager at Friday Harbor House, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review of Friday Harbor House! We never got the final score on the handball tournament but hope your whole group had a fun day. Please come and visit us again soon.

Margie O'Brien

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Husband and I went here on an Amazon Local deal. We had stayed here a few years prior on our honeymoon and couldn't pass up the deal. Victoria at the front desk was amazing. She did everything, I swear she should be cloned. The room was fantastic. We had a partial harbor view in the secondary building, but the balcony was a nice addition that we hadn't had before, and the view was still gorgeous. The room was clean, wi-fi worked great, and bed was very comfortable.
There was sparkling wine and chocolates in the room when we arrived, as part of the Amazon Local deal. Part of the deal also included a 3-course meal in The Bluff Restaurant. Unfortunately, my husband had become ill, so we opted to eat in the room. Victoria took our orders, and delivered all three courses separately to our room. The food was amazing...I had the salmon, hubby had the chicken. Both were excellent. Not too mention the homeade ice cream was too die for.
We ended up having to leave on the first ferry of the day, way before the front desk was opened. However, we received a call at 8am to make sure that everything had been suitable. Again it was Victoria! This girl works too hard!
With the exception of the illness (which was in no way related to the hotel), the stay was perfect. We will definitely be back as Friday Harbor is one of our favorite overnight getaways.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 124AnneS
friday1946, General Manager at Friday Harbor House, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guests,
We enjoyed so much reading your review of our wonderful hotel. Friday Harbor House strives to create an exceptional experience for all of our guests but your story was special. We hope you will return soon and give your husband a second chance at a fantastic visit to our lovely island.

Margie O'Brien

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The first good impression I received from this Hotel, was the Personalized e-mail I received several days prior to my arrival, saying that they were both anticipating, and looking forward to my arrival and stay. Second, was the Up-grade to one of their top Queen Ocean view rooms.

When I opened the door to my room, It literally "took my breath away". This is a small Boutique hotel, (which I prefer), with All the amenities of a 4-5 star big-name hotel. I had a corner room, with small "Juliette balcony", and floor to ceiling windows on both sides, affording me a sweeping view of the Islands, harbor, marina, and ships landing, (which is within walking distance). Hotel is situated on a "dead end" street, & except for the Fog-horns in early AM (which I liked) it was completely quiet! Room had fireplace, deep spa tub, large 2room bathroom, comfortable bed, wide screen tv., etc., and Very clean. Free wi-fi. Also Included was a copious buffet style breakfast, in their Restaurant "Bluffside" and....Free parking!

As this was both Easter weekend, & a special "get-away" week for me, the accommodating and friendly staff helped make it a Very Special stay! Weather was cooperative too, as the moment I boarded my Ferry at Anacortes for the 2 hour crossing, it was nothing but blue skies and sunshine for the entire week!. (Un-usual this early in the season). Planning on returning soon.

Room Tip: Will keep that "my secret" however, since this is a small boutique hotel, and needs differ...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
#9 of 11 in Friday Harbor
Edenwild Boutique Inn
Edenwild Boutique Inn
#1 of 2 in Lopez Island

Been to Friday Harbor House? Share your experiences!