“Perfect location, excellent amenities and staff!”
Review of Bird Rock Hotel

Bird Rock Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Friday Harbor
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Perfect location, excellent amenities and staff!”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Wonderful surprises in this vintage but modern hotel right in the heart of Friday Harbor. We loved our room, the Matia, with a large and comfortable bed. Our room use shared bathrooms, which were very clean and convenient. The breakfast bar included many very yummy and healthy choices. This hotel had everything you might need, and the staff are super friendly and relaxed. This is a perfect hotel for a couple looking for a great hotel with easy walking access, and a range of prices for shared bathroom rooms to large suites with BIG bathrooms! Check it out, there are many perks for guests at this hotel and you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My partner and I absolutely loved this quaint, updated vintage, eco-conscious hotel. The rooms transport you to a peaceful escape. The organic bedding is absolutely marvelous. I instantly feel asleep. We stayed in the Matia one night. The shared bathroom was the nicest I have ever had in a hotel. I love how the hotel uses large bottles of shampoo, body wash and conditioners in the shower instead of using those wasteful small bottles which tend to end up in the garbage. On the second night, we stayed in the Whidbey. It had a small kitchen area which could easily be used to prepare lunch or dinner.

The breakfast was delicious. I love that they use local produce. The fresh berries were marvelous and the scones were delicious. There was also a nice selection of organic teas. Each afternoon, the staff served up some scrumptious cookies!

hh
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Very nice BB/hotel. Friendly staff.

Wish they had more of a variety for breakfast. Also the WIFI was weak or did not work

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bob s
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed 2 nights in the Marrowstone Suite. I'll start with the positives. The bed was rather comfortable. The bathroom is spacious and has 2 shower heads. The continental breakfast is solid, cookies and lemonade are available at all hours, and one of the staff (1 of 2) is courteous and professional.

Now for the negatives..

#1. Around 2:30am on our first night, we were awoken to the piercing sound of our bedroom window (located 2 feet from the head of our bed) being shattered, presumably the handiwork of one of the distinguished patrons of the nearby bars. When we approached the Bird Rock staff the following day to inform them of what had happened, a kind young lady replied, "Oh. I probably know the guys who did it."

We took comfort in knowing that the person who smashed in our window in the middle of the night was in fact an acquaintance of the staff.

#2. After our reassuring encounter with the staff, we set out for the day and had a great time exploring San Juan Island. We returned late that afternoon to our suite and found the front door completely unlocked. Mind you, this is the only suite that can be accessed without actually entering the hotel lobby. Now, you may scoff and say, "Friday Harbor is a quaint, historic town! There's no need to lock your doors!" But keep in mind that we had been in town less than 24 hours, and I'd already experienced a more direct threat on my safety than I had in the previous 10 years---when I lived in St. Louis. So, suffice it to say that I was not pleased by housekeeping's cavalier attitude towards the security of my personal belongings.

The remaining complaints are relatively trivial. The hot tub was too hot and couldn't be adjusted. The fireplace didn't really work. The 2nd night brought no more broken glass but the street noise is as loud as advertised and will require the use of earplugs.

The hotel offered no compensation for our unsolicited 2:30am wake up call. In fact, they didn't even offer a proper apology.

5 Thank gjpalaga
EarthboxLaura, Manager at Bird Rock Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Gjpalaga,
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay.
I'm so sorry and quite embarrassed about how our staff treated your concerns and safety. You are absolutely right, that it is of very little comfort to you to know that one of us may know who smashed the window. Please believe me that this is not how we usually react to complaints. This is not the customer service experience we thrive to give. I'm also very disappointed you found the door wide open. This too is totally unacceptable, small town or not. Just so you know, and I'm not trying to make lame excuses, the broken window has been a first. It was Friday. We have but one glass repair person on the island. We were trying to get him to look at it before the weekend and in the heat of the moment somebody must have left the door open (probably not our housekeepers; they are wonderful)
The fire place and hot tub could have been easy fixes, but I don't blame you for not bringing them to our attention.
Please accept our sincere apologies for our unprofessional behavior. Will you promise to contact me and give us a chance to make it up to you? I'll be back in the office on Saturday.
Steffi Wehner
Customer Service Manager
steffi@earthboxinn.com
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The Bird Rock hotel is has a great location in town. We had plenty of room in our 2 bedroom suite which was very clean and comfortable. The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012
wdsm
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We arrived in Friday harbor with our bikes only and bags. I was nervous as the Bird Rock only had a room available with a shared bathroom for our 1st night. Our room was great and the shared bathroom was not at all a problem. We then had booked this great room w/private hot tub on ground level. Wonderful and they even had earplugs bedside due to the bar party across the street (street party/4th of July celebrating) I can not say enough wonderful things about our stay! Tory was fantastic for customer service! :) The breakfast in the morning was wonderful. We had bike parking on site too. I would recommend this intimate, local spot to our best of friends and we will be back! We left feeling we made friends. Our 10 year anniversary was wonderful! Thanks to all of you !!! :) Darin and Jill Bartachek

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Springfield OH
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Marrowstone Suite and it was incredibly comfortable! The bed was fantastic, the couch was comfy, the bathroom was large with double shower heads and a mini kitchen was available. We didn't use the private hot tub, but there is one available with this suite.

The hotel addresses the noisy bar across the street up front, which I appreciated. They provided ear plugs and since my hubs and I are used to sleeping with ear plugs every now and again, this was not an issue for us. For any travels with an aversion to ear plugs, definitely choose a different room (not facing 1st street).

The staff was helpful and friendly, and even packed us a breakfast with yogurt, scones and fruit since we mentioned taking the 5:50 ferry back to Anecortes! SO nice! Wifi connection was fast, lemonade and apples available all day were nice additions and we truly enjoyed our stay.