“Get the brisket”

BBQ Shack
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout
Description: Ribs, Pulled Pork, Brisket, Chicken, Hush puppies, Beer and Wine. Indoor and seasonal outdoor seating. Game day Specials.
Lacey, Washington
“Get the brisket”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We love us some good BBQ! My husband does BBQ and to be honest, it's hard to beat his BBQ, but this place ranks right up there with his brisket. I originally ordered te pulled pork, had to send it back because it was bland, dry and seemed like it wasn't fresh. They happily obliged. The server did tell me the pulled pork was heated up on the grill. So, don't order the pork sandwich, the brisket was moist and had great flavor.

Visited July 2013

Washington
“Mmmm Mmmm Good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

OK, full disclosure, I am picky about BBQ and ribs are my favorite, but I judge a place on how they do their brisket. As a comparison, a week after eating here I had brisket and ribs flown in from KC, MO from a world famous restaurant - the BBQ Shack hands down WAY BETTER! I had the 2 meat plate with hush puppies, chicken and brisket. The hush puppies were good and probably the best I have had for some time. The chicken was dry but the sauces helped it out. The brisket was fantastic - moist and yummy without sauce - but don't pass up their sauces cause they are a must. Wish I had gotten 2 orders of brisket! My wife had pulled pork and our granddaughter had fried chicken. The pulled pork was very good and could have been an excellent second choice for my meat platter. The fried chicken was great even though I ate it the next day for lunch - 3 pieces leftover. Did I mention the sauces? They were great and I tried them all but gravitated back to the smoky and spicy ones

The staff was very friendly and helpful and gave the right amount of attentiveness. The ambiance of the restaurant is "Old West" with rough sawed wood and old time pictures. The only reason I didn't give this great eatery 5 stars is due to size - not many tables and a bit cramped so if you have a big crew that needs room you may wait for tables and feel a little shoe horned in - definitely not a reason not to eat the fine food served here.

SO next time you are in Friday Harbor don't miss out on some fine BBQ - if you are a lover of that great American food!

White River Junction, Vermont
“I thought it was good,”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I thought it was a great BBq shack, but my partner who is a BBq aficionado thought it was okay. He found the meat to be bland, as if boiled, I thought it was okay. What sold me was the sauces, they were wonderful. There was a wonderful spicy sauce and my favourite the mustard sauce. There was a ghost pepper sauce, but it wasn't as spicy as the other spicy or mustard sauces.

The Hushpuppies were amazing. They could have only been improved with the addition of some heat to it (but I just used it as an excuse to eat more sauce).

I would go back, it was relatively cheap for food on the island, great service, great beer, and good food.

Visited July 2013
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
“great soul food in an unexpected place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

They were genuinely friendly and nice, great local Seattle beer and smoked meat to die for, not suitable for health maniacs. Natty the waitress was great!, even the cook was nice and friendly.

california
“yum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Best fried chicken, mac and cheese good. Hush puppies cooked perfectly but bland, my grandpa always put onions in them. My sister was delighted they had watermelon beer (hell or high watermelon) . Prices were fair, service was great. Dont eat outside in summer there are wasp and they just won't stop.