“Good value for the money.”

Rodeway Inn Downtown near Riverwalk
Ranked #263 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Tucson, AZ
“Good value for the money.”
Reviewed July 11, 2006

Definitely within 15 min. walking distance of the Alamo/Riverwalk area, although I wouldn't want to go back and forth with kids several times a day. The walk is through a typically rundown urban area, but never felt dangerous. There is a trolley stop right there, too, which would get you to the Alamo in minutes. Buy the $3 all day pass (but the drivers don't sell them--you have to go to the trolley office near the Alamo or any of the big RWalk hotels). The office staff was curt, you are charged $3 upon checkout for the room safe (even if not used), and have to leave a $10 credit card refundable deposit to use the phone (even for the free local calls). Also, the free breakfast is eggs, hash browns, biscuit, sausage, and coffee/tea ONLY at an attached diner. If you want anything different you can order it off the menu for a cost. Otherwise, it was comfortable (good AC), worn but clean, quiet, and all the residents I saw were solidly middle class. Good access to the interstates. Take your room key to use the ice machine. Recommended to anyone on a budget.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank 48thstater

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Reviewed April 21, 2006

My family and I are thinking of relocating to Texas. To save money we thought we would get two suites and split the cost. It advertised online as well as in the Travelodge. Two double beds and a sofa sleeper with a refrigerator and stove.
When we arrived the motel van picked us up at the airport. He announced that his air conditioner had just went out an hour ago.(Texas was experiencing record heat )
Upon arrival to the Travelodge we weren't impressed but decided you can't judge a book by its cover. Inside 2 of the workers in a back room were discussing how they had found a body in the bathtub . Again not knowing the whole conversation we checked in, after a little haggling because they tried to charge us more than was quoted to us.
There wasn't a sofa sleeper. The bedroom did have two beds but the bathroom was in there also. You almost had to climb over the bed to get to the bathroom. The appliances were so old that the refrigerator needed to be defrosted and the stove was filthy. The kitchen didn't have any items to prepare a meal. The room had an awful smell.
We quickly grabbed a phone book and found other lodgings. We didn't let it ruin our trip but I will never stay at another Travelodge again.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

Reviewed April 10, 2006

I just returned from a one night stay here with my husband and 2 small children. We have stayed on the riverwalk previously and thought we would save money by staying a few blocks further out.

The location is fine and the trolleybus stops right outside.

But you get what you pay for. It's half the price of a room on the Riverwalk, but it could be so much better for $100 a night.

In our room, the bedcovers were threadbare, the furniture old and scruffy and everything looked as if it could do with a good cleaning. The bathroom was so small and the door closed in on it, so it was difficult to bath the kids.

We did not use the pool as there were a few young people sitting around there drinking and it did not look that appealling.

We did not try the attached diner for breakfast, as that did not look too appealing either - but the nearby Dennys was fabulous.

I have stayed in a few Travelodges without complaint, but this one, was definitely the worst.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 23, 2006

WOW! People can be really mean and nasty. Trust me, I work at a hotel myself and I was still amazed after reading some reviews that this hotel got. Completely unacceptable reviews.
If you want to spend top dollars or show-off your jewelry, then stay at the RiverWalk, where all the hotels start from $150 and up per night. This place for only a small fraction of that, provides you with clean, comfortable rooms (don't expect marble floors or jacuzzi), friendly service and good location.
The included breakfast was a plus. And the girls attending the restaurant are really dolls.
In other words, if you are a natural complainer stay by the river and pay a few Grants just to tell your friends how cute the gardener was. But if you care for a small-safe-inexpensive place, stay at this Travelodge.

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 25, 2005

Fleeing the oncoming Hurricane Rita, we booked 2 rooms (for four nights) at TravelLodge after seeing it listed as "pet friendly" on a web site. After we checked in, we found that one of the rooms had not been cleaned--dirty linens were still wadded up on the beds. When I went back down to tell the clerk, she told me that we had a problem; she had seen my two dogs, and she told me (very nicely) the we would have to pay a $10 per night per dog pet deposit, which was fine with us. A little while later, she called our room to tell me that the manager had seen us with our 18-year-old cat (who was staying in her carrier), and that he would not let us stay because of the pets. Worried that we might not have a home or a community to go back to, we then were kicked out of our accommodations for the evacuation period! Had TravelLodge not been advertised as being "pet friendly," we would never have considered booking reservations there.

My husband and I took the pets and left my 77-year-old mother and children in the second room so at least they would have a place to stay. After searching for a couple of hours, we found one room at another motel. where the clerk said they understood the unusual circumstances. What a wonderful welcome we received there! When we went back to my mother's room at TravelLodge to retrieve our belongings, the manager yelled something at me from the door of the office. When I then went into the office to see what the problem was, he said I needed to turn in all the keys. I explained that I had turned in the key for one room, but that my mother and one of my children (no pets!) would be staying in the other room we had reserved.

The next day, I received a call from my son who had stayed with my mother that night. They were trying to kick her out because they said she had only paid for one night. (When my mother gave the clerk her credit card number upon check-in, she had specifically asked if the room was booked for four nights.) They told her they would be charging her an additional $25 for staying past the check-out time. The clerk was very apologetic, but they had no other rooms available for that night, so she did indeed have to check out. During a very difficult time in our lives, the TravelLodge was definitely no haven!

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sun City, Arizona
Reviewed July 10, 2005

Plain and simple, but with everything you need to be comfortable. Quiet, clean, friendly staff. Very inexpensive. Very good breakfast included. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank DianaSunCity_Arizona
Reviewed May 12, 2005

Booked for 3 nights; reluctantly stayed for 1. Nasty, dirty accommodations. Obviously houses long-term "residents". Would not be a good value even at 1/2 the price, and I would have grave concerns brining my family/small children to this place. Guests hanging over the railings smoking at all hours of the day and night. While it's true you don't come to San Antonio to stay in your hotel room, you still shouldn't dread coming back to it to rest in the evenings. Before you check in here, drive past the downtown Red Roof Inn and see what you get for about $5 a night more than this place. I was glad I moved and would recommend that anyone considering this place do the same. Good location...for drug dealers and prostitutes -- not families on vacation.

Stayed April 2005