“Good Location, safe area, but needs renovations and cleaning”

Rodeway Inn Downtown near Riverwalk
Ranked #263 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good Location, safe area, but needs renovations and cleaning”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We drove from airport and it’s about 15 to 20 minutes’ drive.

Check in~ Arrived at hotel about 1:00am. Doors were locked and had to use small window to check in, this is for security reasons, would have been better except window is very small and I couldn't hear anything she was saying. Maybe some type of speaker would also be better. Check in process went very smooth; she was very nice young lady.

Rooms ~ we were given our room and were able to park right in front of the door. Walking in the room and we knew instantly that the rooms are dated. Big old TV, not flat screen. Dated window treatments, and was missing one panel, the other panel was filthy. Bedspreads were very dated, and one had a large hole in it. Iron burns in two places on floors. Upon further inspection there was someone's old ear plug for sleeping besides the bed, showed lack of good cleaning.
~bathroom needed some major cleaning. There was mold around mirror, also some spots on mirror that were possibly mold as well. Sink was pealing and chipping, around the base if faucet was also filthy.

~ Door needed adjustment; it let a lot of light in through cracks. Didn't close properly light came through top and sides. Lock was secure, but you had to make sure you pulled it tight behind you. I felt the door needed to be replaced.

We weren't about to go look for a different hotel at 1:00 am, so we stayed the night. Beds were comfortable, and the air conditioner worked.

~We decided to stay because the price was in our price range. In the morning I told management (owners) about bedspread and he apologized and we were given two new (more modern) bedspreads. They both had stains on them, but because they were freshly washed I didn't complain.

~ No microwave or fridge, room does have an older working blow dryer, Room had an iron, but no ironing board and in room safe was nice, but was without working batteries. Has an outdoor pool, we didn't use this. There is also a coffee pot in room.

~ Location, location, location, I have to say if you are looking for a place
downtown, the location is about 5 or 6 blocks from the Alamo and Riverwalk. There is also a trolley stop right across the street for those that want to go that route. You can pay some huge dollars for the hotels right on the Riverwalk, or stay here for a lot less. We choose saving money. The walk was nice, we felt safe. You did encounter some homeless people along the way but I saw them on a lot of streets downtown.

~Breakfast...it's nice to have the complimentary breakfast, there are not a lot of choices, but we were able to eat enough to skip lunch. They had two kinds of cereal, breads with toaster, bananas, small muffins, rolls and waffle makers to make your own waffle. There was coffee, juice and milk for beverages; again, not a ton of choices, enough to fill us up.

~Ants... The 2nd day we noticed that around the sink there were small ants
around. There was no food, or spilled sugary drinks, they didn’t have a reservation, and were some uninvited pests! Some days there was lots of them and other days a couple of them. I usually killed them. <gasp> I have had an occasional ant problem in my own home and didn't want hotel spraying for them while I was in the room, so we waited to tell management the day we left. They apologized for it and said they would spray for them. Speaking to other guests, they didn't have any. I am just sharing the info.

Overall this room needs some major renovations, it is near the owners rooms, and they have wood shutters on their windows, I got a couple of looks into the owner’s entry ways and their places look great. My feelings is treat your guests the same way you would want to be treated, spend a little on new updates and you will see your business grow.

If you are a picky neat freak type of person don't stay here, you will probably not like it. If you are someone who can tolerate some older rooms with not all the modern and top of the line things than by all means stay here. You will save yourself some money, be close to Riverwalk and the Alamo in a safe neighborhood.

I stayed here for a relative’s graduation from the Air Force; it is a short 15 minute drive to Lackland AFB.

Once again, you have choices to where you stay, after you read reviews, make your own choice. My 17 year old son stayed with me, and he said that he would rather stay here and save some money so we can do other things, then pay more money for an expensive hotel and do less things. I gave it a poor rating because I felt it really needs some renovations and better attention to cleaning! I would stay again, because of prices, but I would inspect room prior before taking what they give me.

Thanks for reading this far! That about completes my review, I end all of my reviews with saying the following: Please do NOT hesitate to email me with any further questions. I look at the glass half full not half empty, I will be honest with you but you have to remember what I might think is the best, you might not think the same. Tell me what your expectations are and I will tell you if I 'think'' it will be a good match.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank AimIN4oneMil
Gautam S, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn Downtown near Riverwalk, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a candid and in-depth review about your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you experienced in respect to the ants. We take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction and unfortunately, we did not meet your expectation in some areas.

We appreciate that you took the time to point out both positive and what you found to be less desirable points. This feedback really does help us to understand our guest needs and expectations and serves to help us identify what corrective action to take.

We deeply value your relationship with our hotel and we are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our customers deserve the very best.

We hope to earn your business again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Absolutely awful, like something out of the movies, my friend nicknamed it the Bates Motel which didn't help but did give us a laugh! Everything about this place is old, worn out and either was or felt unclean. Crazy prices too, for the same amount of money we could have shared a room at one of the central river walk hotels, I've never been happier to leave a hotel before & I'll never go back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
gautamshah, General Manager at Rodeway Inn Downtown near Riverwalk, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time & rating us. First, let me
apologize for the inconvenience you experienced as a guest of
our hotel. If you can contact me on Gautam@salodging.com , I would like discuss ,Also I would like to inform you we are in process of renovation of rooms almost 60% of the rooms are done, Rest are in process, if future travel brings you to San Antonio , please be our guest .

Travelers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

San Antonio
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Our stay was awful from the beginning. We got booked for the wrong dates...they did fix it thank goodness but then the a/c didn't work and the guy tried to convince us that it did and then said he'd call us and let us know if they could transfer us to another room...never heard from him...it wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't hot that day and we had an infant and 8 1/2 month pregnant friend in our room...we also found someone else's underwear in the room and someone's nails that they clipped in our sheets...the breakfast sucked and they had a tip jar out...this is a free breakfast and the lady working was sitting there eating it...why would I tip you....I'm still getting charges and they assure me will be taken off this week but can't tell me why I'm getting charged...oh and they didn't clarify check out so a lady came and banged on our door at noon and told us to leave...will NEVER go there again...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

San Antonio
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Carpet and walls were dirty. The door did not seal well. The smoke detector
was gone but wiring was there and exposed. Our plugs fell
out of the electrical sockets! The bathtub was dirty. The outside walks were dirty and in need of repair. I replaced the batteries in the TV remote with my own.For 3 days I had to have the key cards rescanned so they would unlock the door!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Gautam S, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn Downtown near Riverwalk, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Hello Tad C.,

I apologize for the inconvenience during your recent stay. I will accelerate your comments in order this matter is verified and the room where you stayed is checked , trust that this matter will be taken care of to avoid problems in the future. We appreciate your candid reviews as it allow us to monitor the quality of services we provide to our guests. We value your business.