“The Presidential Suit for us? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio
Ranked #8 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“The Presidential Suit for us? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I am just now getting around to writing this review. This Westin Riverwalk San Antonio, Texas is so wonderful. My mom and I went to the Westin Riverwalk in San Antonio for her 60th birthday on June 20th. I made the reservations on line and under the comment section I wrote “A nice view please it is a 60th birthday”. When we arrived before check in at 2:00 the front desk staff said our room wasn’t quite ready yet. That was okay with us, we were early. I asked the lady at the front desk if she would please give us a nice view of the river. She smiled and said “yes, you have been given a very nice view”. We went to go have some lunch and came back about an hour later. When I checked in for the key, one of the very nice front desk staff said we have a surprise for you and your mother. We have upgraded you to the presidential suit! My mother was so happy she started crying! The room was the nicest hotel room either of us have ever stayed in. It had 2 bathrooms, a bar area, 4 balconies on the 15th floor looking down on the river. You could also see all of San Antonio. It had a nice sitting area and the best bath tub I have ever taken a bath in. I read a book in there for well over an hour! Usually when I come home from traveling I am so glad to be back in my own bed. Not after this trip, I came home and told my husband that we need a new mattress. Their bed was so comfortable! My mom said whenever we go out of town we need to stay at Westins from now on just to thank them for making my birthday so special. I have attached pictures of the presidential suit. Thank you so much Westin Riverwalk San Antonio. You folks seem to really care about your hotel guests and we want you to know it is greatly appreciated.

• Stayed June 2009
4 Thank AnnieKaty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,167)
  • Arabic first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Stayed at the Westin Riverewalk for a weekend in San Antonio and had a great time. We did not get a room facing the river but it was on the ninth floor and it was quiet, comfortable and nice.

The location is good - easy walking distance to a lot of restaurants and bars. Right now there is some construction blocking the sidewalk that links the Westin to the main Riverwalk but that's easy enough to get around - either by walking up the stairs and crossing the street or going out of the front of the hotel and then going down to the river at a different point. It was no bother.

We walked around a bit and came back to the Westin bar which, although it didn't have much choose from in terms of Mexican beer, was a peaceful and relaxing place to sit out by the river in wicker patio chairs.

I don't think the bed was the heavenly bed - I've stayed in softer beds at the Westin before - but it was nice anyway. Loved the bathroom with its heavenly shower, soft towels and pleasant smelling bath products.

We stopped by the hotel pool to take a look - looks nice - but was awfully dirty - like there had been a party out there - with dishes and towels everywhere - and no had been by to clean up. No late night swimming then! If you're a light sleeper, I'd recommend asking for a room that's not on the fourth floor - where the pool and spa are located.

In the morning, there's a little coffee/pastry shop within the hotel which was selling breakfast tacos with their own homemade salsa. Delicious and a good alternative to the typically expensive hotel breakfast!

Upon check in, we were told the hotel was very full but didn't feel it until the front desk was swarmed with folks checking out the next morning. Recommend you hit the check out button in the room - we were glad we did.

Oh and be patient with valet - or take down your ticket ahead of time - it was a good 15 minutes with the rush for them to get the car. And heads up, valet parking was $25/night - although there aren't a lot of overnight parking alternatives in downtown San Antonio.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RL-TX
WestinRiverwalkMgmt1, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this review, August 4, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the positive review of our hotel. We were happy to know that you enjoyed your time at The Westin Riverwalk. We truly appreciate your feedback and for taking the time to post these comments.

Your comments have been reviewed regarding your stay and I hope you will accept my apology for the inconvenience you encountered due to the pool. We take all guest comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues.

Again, thank you for your comments. We hope you will return to the hotel for your next trip to San Antonio.

Arlington
Reviewed July 27, 2009

My wife an I stayed for a TPA conference last week for 5 nights. We decided not to book at the Hilton because the event was being held at Westin and we had never styed there so we thought why not. My wife and I were in the patio relaxing by the riverwalk outside of the bar/resturant area and she wanted water, so I thought i could just walk in and ask one of the staff members if I could get a glass of water. No big deal right? Well while asking one of the staff that was wiping a table Mike the security guard tried to escourt me out of the bar area and told me that I could get water from the restroom. Being in the Marine Corps his large size did not intimidate me the way he thought it would. I went outside and got my wife and headed to the check-in counter. The older lady just seemed bothered that we were even there. She also would provide me a way of contacting the GM stating that "he doesn't work on the weekends". I am a small business owner with Doctors on my payroll. If I wanted to be treated in such a negative manor I can stay elsewhere paying a thrid of the price. We are Hilton Diamond members and this stay just reminded us of why. I still have heard nothing from this hotel about Mike the security guy. Mike the bartender is the only thing positive from this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
WestinRiverwalkMgmt1, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this review, July 30, 2009
Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your comments about your recent visit to The Westin Riverwalk.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the way you were treated after asking for a glass of water. This is definitely not the way we treat our guests and it is surely not the way we do business at The Westin Riverwalk.

Again, I am very sorry. Certainly, if you would like to discuss your experience with us, please do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail at riverwalkmgmt1@westin.com

Thank you again and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I stayed here for a couple nights in December 2008 right before Christmas. The hotel is a great represenation of the Westin chain. It is several steps ahead of everyone else, but is still affordable and luxurious for the comman man/woman. This isn't the best Westin, but its a solid pick for comfort and treating yourself.

Best Things about this hotel:
1. Location. Its located on the riverwalk, but not next to the restaurants and bars in order to have some peace and quiet. You can easily walk to all of the riverwalk items by going out the front entrance and walking two blocks.
2. Conciege. By far the best knowledgable and friendliest concierge staff I've experienced. They were able to give us recommendations for each day we were there based upon our interests. Not only were we told about things to do in San Antonio, but also instructed on what things were available in Austin since we were open to anything.

Hotel parking is high (like any downtown hotel), but there is a parking garage across the street if you want to save some money. If you head to San Antonio, I recommend you stay here.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Monett, Missouri
Reviewed July 23, 2009

this is the third time we've been to San Antonio. the Westin was a nice place to stay, but not real exciting. I suppose if I were older I would enjoy it. the rooms were good, not excellent. our room kept making a VERY loud rattling water sound every morning about the same time. we just dealt with it - I'm not one to complain, instead I'm one not to return...

last time we stayed at the Hotel Contessa which is right next door and much more contemporary and overall a better experience - I'd stay there again.

sure, parking expensive and internet costly - but what do you expect for an expensive hotel? get used to it!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Pasadena, California
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I am a SPG Platinum member so I expect the best from Westin, Sheraton, W and Luxury Collection hotels. That's not always the case. Then, as with The Westin River Walk, I was surprised on how far and above this place takes customer service. The Concierge, Ron Silva is in short, AMAZING! He attended to every detail of our visit, got us into restaurants which do not accept reservations and followed-up the next day to ensure we had been pleased with his recommendations.

As a note to any hotel management reading this...You should meet this guy and take notes. His service is unparalleled.

And the hotel? Amazing. The location could not be any better, directly on the River Walk. The rooms were clean, crisp and service from housekeeping was superb.

This hotel marked my 50th night in a Westin this year. That's why I keep coming back.

Westin River Walk and Ron Silva: AAA+++

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Rolling Hills, CA
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I find it very hard in having a bad experience here. I didn't see a St. Regis, Four Seasons, or Ritz Carlton....so this is the place. This hotel is very elegant as a Westin. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The pool was great. Suggest getting a riverwalk view, but you're not going to see much else.
I enjoyed our corner spacious room. The a/c was great and much needed at this time of year. I'd recommend Bohanan's steakhouse for dinner and Boudro's for lunch (on the riverwalk).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Familyof07
WestinRiverwalkMgmt1, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this review, July 16, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your time at The Westin Riverwalk and we hope to see you again very soon in San Antonio!