“A Great Westin Property”

The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio
Ranked #5 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed May 9, 2013

From the time we arrived it was evident this Westin property upholds their gold standard for service. Every single staff member was courteous, friendly, and accommodating. The lobby is elegant and the view of the Riverwalk added to the appeal of this property.Room was on the city side, so that was disappointing, but our friends got a room on The River side. Make sure you ask for a Riverview room - it is worth it. Wireless internet access comes at a steep price, so make sure you register for Westin rewards and you will get it free. The bath amenities are first class, they provide you with complimentary drinking water, and the room had a fully stocked bar with surprisingly reasonable prices ($7 for drinks). The linen was outstanding, with thick, thirsty towels and their signature heavenly bed was indeed heavenly! The shower was impressive but the water pressure was disappointing. The higher the floor, the weaker the pressure. Kudos for the green/sustainable toilet.
We enjoyed their free crackers and cheese in the afternoon, but it was a disappointing spread for a Westin, We had their red sangria which they tout as their specialty. That came at a steep price and mediocre quality. As avid sangria lovers, this was a middle of the road sangria and whatever you do, do not order the white sangria.
The bar at their restaurant was excellent and Zocca restaurant was surprisingly good. Every dish we ordered was delicious, and the service was 5 star. We had a great dinner - make sure you order the gelato sampler for dessert. Outstanding taste and presentation. Wine selection was also outstanding with a range of reasonably priced wines. Ducks meander through the restaurant, and while we were dining, a whole family came by our table with 4 little chicks. Absolutely precious!!

1  Thank SoCaMOMof3
executiveoffice1667, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you, SoCaMOMof3, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. We appreciate that you pointed out various positive aspects of the hotel from our gold standard service to our award winning hotel and amenities. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at the Westin Riverwalk during a recent business trip to San Antonio. The rooms and lobby were attractive and clean - quite elegant actually. Two best experiences - the egg white omelet for breakfast is huge, beautifully cooked, and comes with broccoli rabe and grape tomatoes. Fabulous value and healthy way to start the day. Second, really nice staff. Both my waiter at breakfast and Beau at the front door were quick to help and seemed very proud of where they worked wanting me to have a very positive experience.

One downside, nice size gym is open 24 hours but the TVs on the cardio equipment are not connected. Make sure you bring your own iPod or iPad for entertainment.

Room Tip: The city side rooms are a bit louder but they are cheaper. I am a light sleeper and the city side ro...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
executiveoffice1667, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you, DJTex, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. I appreciate you pointing out various positives about the hotel from the rooms to the service.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the connectivity issue on the cardio equipment. We are currently looking into the issue

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. The hotel lobby and grounds are beautiful, the rooms clean and nice (basic hotel room) and beds were comfortable. I liked the location because it was a tad less crowded than other spots on the Riverwalk but yet you were close to everything. You can walk to the Alamo, shops, restaurants and a mall that includes a movie theater. Drinks and food were pricey as typical with any higher end hotel. We enjoyed the spa and pool. They serve food and drinks poolside which is a nice touch. I did find an error on my bill when I checked out but the hotel researched it and ended up crediting my account. Staff was friendly throughout, opening doors, saying hello, etc.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you Tracy for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. Thank you for pointing out some positive aspects of The Westin Riverwalk such as the location and amenities. I am happy we were able to rectify the error on your bill. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

While the staff was very friendly, the hotel appeared to be run down. Room nothing special. In the gym, none of the machines could access the TV option. I noticed dirty towels piled in the hallway and other misc trash. Location is perfect as located on the Riverwalk but not the best for noise. Our room was near the street and was noisy all night long. Our last night was without sleep. Others in our group and located on other floors had the same problem. The hotel hosted several weddings and the noise was excessive until 3 in the morning. Besides the yelling, there was pounding on doors and other loud noise. With all going on, it would have helped to have hotel personnel walking the hallways to prevent exactly what happened.

Room Tip: ask for a room as far from street as possible.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you, Cindy A, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the noise issue you experienced during your stay. An apology ca not make up for the lapse in service in not handling the rowdiness of other guests. We are looking into the various noise issue.

I can assure you that your experience, albeit discouraging, was not indicative of the quality of service we typically provide. Thank you for your feedback and we welcome the opportunity to demonstrate that we are able to provide the quality of service you have every right to expect from the Westin Riverwalk.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed at the Westin Riverwalk while in town for a corporate event. It is a nice hotel right on the Riverwalk. The rooms are nice, and the public hotel areas are nice too. I have no complaints about this hotel at all. The room service was good. And you have all of the restaurants and shops along the Riverwalk.

The only constructive comment I have is about the bed. I have become accustomed to the fabulous "Westin Heavenly Bed" while staying at Westin properties, and this hotel did not have one in my room. It was definitely an upper scale Simmons Beautyrest of some kind... which is a similar mattress from the same maker. But it was not the Westin bed, and it wasn't quite as good. The bed was adequate and comfortable, but not what I was expecting. It was noticeable enough that I took a look at the mattress to see what was up.

Great hotel. Enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you, BradWorld, for taking the time o give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk.

Thank you for bringing that information to our attention. We looked into your complaint and the bed you slept on are indeed the Westin Heavenly Bed but an older model. We are currently slated for room upgrades in a month.

We appreciate that you mentioned some positives about your stay. And we look forward to creating a better experience for you should you choose to return. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

While the hotel location is good and the room was as nice as Westins always are, the service at this hotel did not meet the high Westin standards. They made a poor first impression when none of the bellhops offered to help me with my luggage, or even to open the door for me. Valet parking is a joke - they just park you at the municipal lot across the street from the hotel, so I parked it myself for half the price. The business center is poorly maintained, with no staffing to help. Given the exorbitant prices (with no consideration for Starwood Preferred Guest status), I intended to just print my boarding pass and get out. Easier said than done. When I could not log on, I called the front desk using the phone next to the computer. After as lengthy delay, the "concierge" finally arrived - a taciturn elderly man who looked at the computer with the level of bewilderment usually reserved for unicorn sitings. He left, saying he would summon "one of the girls". She proved equally incapable of assisting me. If you're relying upon this business center, you may be disappointed.
While the room was nice, it lacked an ice bucket. The "balcony" overlooked a dreary garage, and the only door lock as a U-shaped pin lock that hooked onto the door frame. This is not the level of security that I require as a single female traveling on business. The final insult: a 10-ounce bottle of water in the bathroom, with a sign encouraging guests to hydrate. In tiny gray print, the price: $4.50. Needless to say, I declined to hydrate at that price.
Several of my fellow confernce attendees were discussing their disappointment with the service, and someone mentioned the bottled water. One guest got 2 bottles per day in her room, free of charge, another had a bottle with a price tag of $2.50, and I was the lucky winner of the $4.50 water. When I checked out, I inquired at the front desk, and was told that the water was free, and shouldn't have been marked as it was. I'm not sure whether the housekeeping staff was in error or the front desk; either way, they need to get their act together. If you're not going to give guests an ice bucket or refrigerator, at least give them accurate information about whether the bottled water in their room is free and, if not, what its cost is.
As is too often the case, the meeting rooms were absolutely freezing. The food and audio/visual accommodations were, however, quite good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear ElvisLoveChild,

An apology, at this point, would not make up for the poor service and inconveniences you experienced at our hotel. It is never our goal to inhibit the stay of our guests. The Westin Riverwalk is an award winning, luxury brand hotel that specializes in creating memorable experiences for all our guest, so we were astounded to see your review on the series of mishaps that occurred during your visit.

Your review has garnered a serious conversation and action with our associates, who are devoted to ensuring the best service, is received by all guests. Rest assured that improvements will be made to our processes so other guest do not have similar experiences.

Please, try not to let this experience deter you from returning to the Westin Riverwalk. I assure you, that your experience, although discouraging, was not at all suggestive of the quality of service we typically provide. I welcome the opportunity to demonstrate our ability to provide the quality of service you have every right to expect from the Westin Riverwalk.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've stayed here a few times in the last several months, and I'll be the first to say that the location can't be beat. It's right on the Riverwalk, close to the Alamo, and pretty much walking distance to anywhere you'd want to be for a weekend getaway.

The only problem is that there are a number of service issues. Every time I've stayed there, I've had a problem -- billing, housekeeping, not having my checkout extended (after confirming that it would be), not being registered to check-in (despite having it clearly showing on my SPG app), keys not working, etc. In all fairness, the staff does do a great job in attempting to fix these problems, but who wants to take an hour out of their day to fix problems that shouldn't have even happened? I've even received a tray of cookies or a bottle of wine to make up for their mistakes. Again, awesome gesture, but time is much more valuable than a few snacks.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you, Prissypixie, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback about your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. I appreciate that you pointed out some positive aspects of the hotel, like our location.

An apology, at this point, would not make up for the numerous lapses in service you experienced while staying at our hotel. It is never our goal to inhibit the stay of our guests. Our operational teams were astounded to read that you experienced so many mishaps during multiple stays.

We are looking into the various process related issues and action will be taken to make sure top-level service is received by everyone. I can assure you that your experience, albeit discouraging, was not indicative of the quality of service we typically provide.