“Very nice hotel with great service”

The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio
Ranked #11 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our family has stayed at this hotel many times and are always pleased with the service and condition of the property. This time was no exception. It's located on a quieter part of the River so you don't get all the party noise, but it's close enough to walk to everything including the Tower of the Americas, Riverwalk restaurants and Alamodome. We had two connecting rooms for our family of five. Our king room was giant with a very nice bathroom and a great sitting area. While this hotel does not have a "club" lounge it does offer a happy hour with appetizer and drinks in the lobby every afternoon. We had breakfast at the restaurant and it was very good. Even though pancakes were not on the adult menu, the chef made them for us and came out to say hello. We also had pizza after the Alamo Bowl. It was close to closing time, but the servers could not have been nicer and more accommodating and the gourmet pizza was delicious. We had a minor service issue when we requested a roll-away and maid service, after a brief chat with the manager the problem was resolved quickly and efficiently. The pool is heated so although it was cold outside, the kids took a fun dip. My only gripe about this hotel is the high price of valet parking. It seems like it is a necessary evil because of the downtown location, but I can overlook that because of all the other many positive attributes.

Room Tip: You may want to request a riverside room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jilld3
Write a ReviewReviews (4,162)

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The ambiance and outward appearance of the hotel are fantastic. Great location on the Riverwalk. The Riverwalk view rooms are great and worth the upgrade. The rooms do not have the "Heavenly Bed" that the other Westins do and the bed was not very soft at all.

The housekeeping staff did not put wah clothes in the bath room each day and if we wanted them we had to go ask for them. Also they did not vacume our room once during our 5 day stay.

Our tub drain plugged up and backed up the first morning there and we had to call maintenance.

The Valet service is horrible at best at night. Each night we were there, there seemed to only be 1 valet working. It would take about a 1/2 hour each time we wanted our car. Most nights when we returned we dropped the key off at the front desk becuase there were no Valet's around.

The valet parking and the self parking are in the same garage across the street. You can park your own car and save half the cost - only advantage to valet is you have in and out priveledges that you don't get with self parking.

The doormen are more interested in standing around talking with each other rather than helping.

Very nice hotel but certainly not a top tier Westin.

2  Thank DRJ469
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is a shout out to Amanda. We traveled through San Antonio on our way to Hawaii, I left some paperwork and a iphone plug. I woke up in the middle of the night and realized I had left them. I was sure the paperwork was gone. I could not even reason why anybody would keep it, because it looked like old magazines. The maid, who was a temp, otherwise I would give a shout out to her as well, found the items and turned them in. The plug was so small, I thought it would be over looked and the paperwork, gosh! I am so grateful! You can not imagine the relief I felt knowing that that paperwork is safe and all my valuable notes are saved! We love to stay in San Antonio, we stay at the Westin properties when we are there, and I have always been so impressed with the professionalism and personal touch at the Westin Riverwalk. Both properties, La Cantera and Riverwalk are our favorites for getting away and feeling welcomed! Happy New Year!

Room Tip: When at the RiverWalk property, you want to be able to see the river and downtown lights and activit...
2  Thank 2013nicki
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Riverwalk during mid December 2012, I can not begin to describe how beautifully it was decorated, how welcoming the staff was nor how light-hearted and happy all who entered those door seemed to be.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the riverside the view is spectacular.
2  Thank PenDiM
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel is located in a quiet area of the river walk in San Antonio.Nice staff all around, rooms spacious and beds comfortable., the only pet peeve was a yapping dog next room.

Only one restaurant open. During our stay, it rain a lot and the entrance ramp to the hotel along with the steps were wet and very slippery, so slippery that the taxi could not get us to the front door of the property.

Room Tip: A high floor to avoid street noise
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 530Gypsy
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I travel extensively for business reasons and stay regularly at Westin hotels. The Westin River Walk is my favorite Westin and (by far) my favorite hotel in San Antonio.

First, the service is outstanding. While this is to be expected at every Westin, the team in San Antonio makes a particular effort to ensure your stay is enjoyable. Whether it has been advice on where to eat or ensuring that the right work out gear was delivered quickly to my room, the staff at the River Walk has responded to all of my requests is an efficient, professional, and friendly manner.

I also enjoy the physical space of the hotel. It is one of the newer properties on the river and the look and feel of the hotel reflect this.
The hotel features clean lines, lots of light, and décor that is well matched to San Antonio. The rooms are very well appointed with high ceilings, generously sized bathrooms, and high quality furnishings (flat screen TVs, Westin's very comfortable beds, etc.). I have stayed at the full range of rooms in the hotel (from those that face the river to those that face downtown) and have never been disappointed.

The location of the property is a big plus. It is literally on the river and close (within walking distance) to all of the primary attractions of down town San Antonio. It is also relatively easy to get to and from the hotel. I stayed over the weekend of the Rock and Roll Marathon and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I was able to get from the hotel to one of the key freeways (highway 281).

If you are a runner, the hotel provides easy access to the portion of the River Walk that offers the best running options (the segment that goes towards the historic King William District and on to the missions that are located in the southern portion of the City).

The one small minus is the hotel's fitness facility. It offers the usual set of free weights, strength machines, and treadmills but the space is not particularly large. However, I have never seen the fitness area oversubscribed so I think the size of the space is a non-issue.

The pool is nice ­ outdoors and overlooking the river and would be good for families traveling with kids.

In summary, while the Westin River Walk may not be the cheapest hotel in San Antonio, it is, without a doubt, the best value and I will certainly return on my next trip.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravellingDaddyo
Reviewed December 30, 2012

apon arriving at the westen hotel it disappointing to see the line for check in after such a long drive all i wanted to do was check in and relax.. Fortunitly Joe the porter was quick to grab my bags and ask me how my trip was. i finally was able to get up to my room my bags arrived as i did, i was ready to order some food and a drink. I called down to room service to receive some of the best customer service i had at this hotel. Meagan was very pacient as she walked me through the menue. because i could not find one in my room. i could hear the phone ringing in the back ground but she stayed on thie line until i was completely done with my order. she recommended the creme brule and even educated me about the cheese. i was sold! i would definitely recommend it to anyone that stays here. the restaurant was nice. food wonderful. service a little slow. overall Meagan and Joe are your go to people!!

Room Tip: riverview was nice, room could have been cleaner.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends