“Overwhelmed (Staff, not me)”

The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio
Ranked #6 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston
“Overwhelmed (Staff, not me)”
Reviewed April 5, 2008

We've stayed here before, and the facilities are quite nice, so we booked for spring break. However, the staff is clearly overwhelmed, across the board. Count on waiting 30 minutes for your car at the valet, and when entering, count on a long line of cars just to drop off your car. We left early in the morning and were gone all day seeing the sights, yet when we returned at 4:30, the maid was just starting to work on the room - this happened twice. Breakfast was disorganized - food not brought out together, my companion left without food while I was staring at mine going cold, etc. With this kind of service, frankly I would have preferred staying at self-serve type of place, like a Hampton Inn or something. I expected (and paid for) so much more. At least the Hampton Inns of the world have free wireless.

Stayed March 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,174)
  • Arabic first
Neenah, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 1, 2008

It was hard to pick a star rating. I can't agree with any of the scathing reviews. But neither was this a faaaabulous hotel. We paid $200 each for 2 connecting rooms, and I would not be happy if we'd paid near rack rate ($300-400). We chose this because the other family we stayed with had a connection here. Otherwise, with our 3 kids (6-10), we'd have chosen someplace less pricey.

Certainly the location is excellent. A quick walk by street or Riverwalk to everything we wanted to see in town. The bell and frontdesk staff were very nice. Room service quick and reliable (and super expensive as you'd imagine). Only poor service was from the concierges. They were fairly pleasant, but just not all that knowledgeable. I think I knew more just by having read TA reviews and forums. No turndown service, which surprised me and was kind of a bummer when we showered at nite and wanted fresh towels.

Rooms were very nice and absolutely clean. There was no smell from pets, which had concerned me, since they are allowed. We were on the 10th floor, but our only view was into the parking lot : ) The shower seemed lovely with 2 showerheads, but was never hot and the temp fluctuated continuously, so couldnt really enjoy it. Low-end toiletries. Not sure what's meant by 'heavenly bath.'

We had dinner at the restaurant (outside) one night, and that was quite good. There is one small terrace (the other is apparently a cigar terrace) on the main floor. We often played cards there after dinner. It would be nice if there were more space like that just to enjoy the outdoors.

The pool is small but very nice. There is a bar/snackbar, but despite the pool area being totally full each day, it was not open. Don't know how they could possibly have enough space in the summer, but you dont choose a downtown hotel for the pool!

I pick 4 stars as clean hotel and good service merit it. There was nothing actually wrong with it and it didn't stop us from having a great time in SA. But the hotel simply didn't add anything to our vacation. Only stay if you get a great price, or it's on your company tab!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — just nothing exciting to report
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank NancyJL
South Carolina
Reviewed February 28, 2008

Great stay. Everyone told me to “stay on the riverwalk” and they were right. I choose this hotel because: 1)accepted pets 2) location. We really enjoyed the location. It is on a quieter side of the riverwalk, which we enjoyed. It is an easy walk to the restaurants and shops on the riverwalk. You can also walk to the Riverwalk Mall, although it’s a little farther, we did with no problem. We walked to the Alamo from here also. We stayed here 4 nights and never used our car. We did take the trolley a couple of times with no problems. I consider this motel expensive. More than we usually spend, but worth it for the location. We were able to get a good discount thru the S.A.V.E. link on the website VISITSANANTONIO.COM. A big drawback is nothing is complimentary, so knowing this in advance we never used anything. We did not open the stocked refrigerator, knowing we would be charged. We never even got ice. Overall a good motel. I would stay there again.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank SCtrvlr
DC
Reviewed January 9, 2008

I generally like staying in boutique hotels when I travel because they tend to provide a more unique/local experience than the larger chains do, but since I am a frequent business traveler, I decided several years ago that I can't afford not to accrue loyalty points...Since then I have truly become a fan of the Westin. Most of the Westins I have experienced have been really exceptional, and the Westin Riverwalk did not disappoint. I am a member of the Starwood Preferred Guest program, so I believe I had an upgraded room (I didn't see the standard rooms...) and that might have made the difference. It was spotless and simply decorated with a large marble bathroom. (I love the heavenly bath!)

I checked in on a Friday afternoon, so the lobby scene was festive and inviting (possibly more so than other nights?) There was live music and refreshments that reflected the local culture, including two AMAZING non-alcoholic fruit drinks concocted by a woman on staff...I forget her name, but the watermelon-ade (?) was so good that I had to go back for seconds.

Everyone on the bell staff was great...I used the valet parking (which was expensive), but the staff gave great directions...very helpful and pleasant. I did use the public parking garage a couple of blocks from the Westin the night before my stay. Much cheaper and convenient enough to make the savings worthwhile...

My only disappointment was the view from the balcony of my room...I was told that I had a river view room, but the view was partially blocked...A very, very small detail in what was otherwise a fantastic stay.

• Stayed October 2007
6 Thank flygirlDC
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 26, 2007

got a 3 nights for 2 deal on the web which made it pretty affordable for a riverwalk hotel. It was an internet only deal - even the hotel reservation staff couldn't see it, so worth checking online.

the front desk were helpful and friendly, gave us interconnecting rooms with a river view. the room was clean and nicely decorated (not too chintzy). location was ok - directly on the riverwalk, but a little walk (5 mins) away from the main stretch with the restaurants and bars.

There were some nice touches like free mexican hot chocolate and cookies one night a week, and live entertainment in one of the bars.

on the downside, one of the main reasons we chose the hotel was that it advertised a heated outside pool. I even checked on the phone that it was heated in advance of our stay. However on arrival the pool was definitely not heated at all. it turned out that the heater was broken, and by the time they had it fixed and the pool had heated we were about to leave. Also on the first day of our stay our room had not been serviced by 3.30pm, and only was because we called.

overall, i am very happy with what we got for the money and would consider it again - as long as someone could guarantee the pool was heated...

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank fatcontroller1999
Cloudcroft, New Mexico
Reviewed December 23, 2007

The bed was very comfortable, room seemed clean although the carpet could use a cleaning. A suggestion: don't get an adjoining room. We could easily hear the people next door, especially their children. At check-in we were told we'd have a nice view of the city...if you looked off to the side, you could see some of the city, mostly the parking garage across the street. We were on 4th floor, someone else on 12th floor said they had the same view. It was nice enough,just seems expensive for the lack of amenities and ambience.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the noise, the view
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank lauriro
Houston, TX
Reviewed December 1, 2007

This hotel is a very nice hotel to stay in, but if you do not have big bucks, I suggest to stay else where. NOTHING is complimentary.. even the water! At 3am, we were awaken by the next room who was still partying like rockstars! We ended up calling twice with the complain until they finally quiet down. When we checked out in the morning, the receptionist at the front desk did not even apologize for the inconvenience but just gave us a smirk. They were rude, except for the valet guys. They should definitely replace the front desk staff with the valet staff. Overall, save your money and stay else where for better service!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank EmOO