“Wonderful Restaurant Zocca at the Westin River Walk”

The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio
Ranked #12 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 15, 2012

It is difficult to put in words the high praise and appreciation, I have for the fine dining Restaurant Zocca at the Westin Riverwalk hotel in San Antonio.

I am presently staying at the hotel, for Spring break with my husband. I have already spent 11 pleasure filled days at the hotel, and wanted to write this review, to express my admiration for the hotel and the charming staff. I am in a Corner Suite room, which has plenty of space, 2 balconies overlooking the river. The bathroom is huge, with granite floors, dual showers and a big Jacuzzi tub. Just to be nice to the environment, we have opted for the ‘Green Choice’ program, where our rooms are not cleaned daily. Diana Hidalgo is a very diligent, tireless house keeper. She makes sure that our room is replenished daily. If we need anything, she is able to deliver in no time. Happy to acknowledge her efforts.

The restaurant Zocca is a delight, a place where we have been every morning, for breakfast. Each morning, we are greeted by the ever smiling, ever helpful Asst. Manager Serge Belanger. He makes it a point to ensure that we feel right at home.

Zocca is located on a less crowded stretch of the Riverwalk, providing the ideal setting for having food outside. On a few occasions when it was warm and sunny we had the fortune of sitting right next to the river, as we watched the ducks swim around, or the occasional river traffic move past. Food is Top Quality, freshly prepared and of the best available ingredients. Everyone here is ever ready to help.

No praise is enough for the service and attention to detail, that Chefs Eugene Schlaff and Michael Ruiz, provide to each guest. The way they have personalized, the food preparation and menu, to suit our taste buds, is simply amazing. They discuss with us the night before, plans for the next day. Zocca is really fortunate to have Eugene and Michael work for them. Head Chef Jeff Foresman, also meets us every few days to ensure that we have a genuinely enjoyable experience. This Team of Super Chefs at the Zocca restaurant is just awesome.

Complementing the efforts of the Chefs are the servers Daniel Valdez, Danny Arriaga and Kevin Howard, always proving prompt and impeccable service. The know exactly what we need (after just a couple of days), and it is there even before we can ask for it. I have seen them always have a smile on their faces, even after working long and tireless hours during the busy Spring break season.

Summary:
Everything aside, I would want to come to this Westin property, just for dining at the Zocca Restaurant.
Very nice hotel, and even nicer are the people who work here.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,176)

Reviewed March 15, 2012

Two night stay for business. Late check in with Hotwire prepaid room and was immediately upgraded to river front room without asking. Staff in most Westins are warm and professional. This hotel takes that that to a very high level. Beds, bathroom all first rate. Lobby area has feel of true 4 star. Pool is smallish but a really nice feeling on 4th floor overlooking river. I used the gym twice and the 4 high quality elipticals were great. A little skimpy on weight lifting but free weights were good. Would definitely stay here again. Staff was remarkable and I travel weekly so I have pretty much seem it all. View on the 7th floor of the river walk was really photo worthy.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I was at a conference this last week. The food served for lunch was very good but the wait staff was also very good. Particularly of note was Luis Salazar, who was very attentive and very friendly. Thank you to all of them.

1  Thank Cathy K
Reviewed March 14, 2012

My wife and I were stayed at the Westin for four days and nights. The locale on the riverwalk afforded daily ventures to enjoy the walkways with easy access.
The staff was so friendly and helpful at all times but we especially enjoyed the Zocca time with the delicious unique hors d'oeuvres with wine and speciality mixed drinks. The associates Jaime and Daley were especially attendant to all in the lobby lounge area as a musician
provided relaxing ambiance. We enjoyed this on several evenings before moving to the dining area or on to nightlife on the riverwalk.
We hope the manager continues this tradition, and we hope that other travelers take advantage of this.
The hotel was superbly clean.
We will be back and we encourage others to consider the Westin on the riverwalk for future stays.
Jay and Mary T

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I took a quick two night trip down to San Antonio for a business dinner that was hosted by the Westin Riverwalk. The trip was wonderful, in large part to the execellant facilities and staff at the host hotel.

First of all, I arrived late and neglected to alert the hotel of that fact. When I arrived at the airport at 11:30 p.m., I called the Westin to ensure they would hold my room. The gentleman answering the phone, William, pleasantly took my call and assured me my room was not forfeited by the late hour.

William took several of my late night and early calls on that trip and each request was handled pleasantly and efficiently.

My room was spacious, efficient for work and overlooked the picturesque Riverwalk. The property was impeccably maintained and landscaped. I was concered about noise due to my close proximity to the elevator but it turned out my room was quiet as a church on Monday.

The front office staff was pleasant and helpful. Heidi is another who seemed to appear at all hours, cheerful and gracious. I never had to wait for assistance. A cab was summoned at 4 a.m. to get me to the airport for an early morning flight.

The restaurant staff were marvelous as well. I ate in the restaurant twice. Coffee was promptly served and refilled and was strong and flavorful. The evening wine list is well prepared and cost-effective.

The servers and staff at the dinner function, which included about 300 guests, handily managed a boistrous crowd. The room was well suited for the purposed and the meeting proceeded smoothly.

Once again, Westin delivers.

Room Tip: Throw yourself on the mercy of the front desk. I suggest upgrading to a Riverwalk room.
1  Thank NJJfromNJ
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I have become a member of the rewards program the Westin offers just because of the service i receive when i stay at the Westin. One staff member in particular Joann Alvarado made sure my room was in good order to ensure a relaxing stay! Definitely a must for anyone looking for a great stay in SA, TX!! JL

Room Tip: riverside for balcony
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Javier L
Reviewed March 13, 2012

If you'v enever been to the Westin Riverwalk, the venue is beautiful! I recently hosted a group mixer in the Westin Lobby off a gorgeous room with a wall-sized balcony to the Riverwalk! Okan, the general manager of hotel’s restaurant Zocca, ensured our needs were met, provided excellent service from his staff (particularly Jaime is awesome), and even invited the Westin’s General Manager, Bill, to stop in and say hello. The thing to note about this service is tha tit was very genuine, which is a rare type of hospitality you do not get in many places. And, the gourmet pizzas were truly divine. =) Try the pizza with chicken, pesto, sundried tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar: heaven! Okan, thank you for treating us so well. We will definitely be back!!!