“An Elegant Piece of History”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #27 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Arlington, Texas
“An Elegant Piece of History”
Reviewed February 17, 2010

The historic Menger Hotel (built in 1859) is an elegant and charming place to stay for a leisurely weekend in the downtown/Riverwalk area of San Antonio. It sits next door to the Alamo and is within easy walking distance to the Riverwalk, the old Marketplace, and many fine restaurants. The lobbies are filled with art and memorabilia and the Menger Bar is where Teddy Roosevelt recruited the Rough Riders.

My room was comfortable and clean and provided free internet access for my laptop. The hotel spa is topnotch and offers massages . I ate Sunday brunch in the hotel restaurant and found it fabulous! (Note: I had read that the host was a bit of a grump, and he certainly lived up to his reputation) The service was excellent as well.

Parking at the Menger (like most Riverwalk area hotels) is rather expensive, so I parked 3 blocks away in a public garage ($12 for 24 hours)

I recommend the old Menger for anyone who wants a taste of Texas history with a flavor of old San Antonio. And although the hotel is reputed to be haunted by a few ghosts, I never encountered one. I did, however, feel the presence of old Texas there. Pamper yourself at least once when you visit San Antonio and stay at this Museum of a hotel!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Indonesian first
la vernia
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Arrived at 3:00 - and waited in a 30 minute line to check in. The common areas of this hotel are incredible and beautiful. We proceeded up to our room and to say the least we were not impressed - the room was basic at best. The bathroom was dirty - hair in the sink and tub. Also very dusty. We were in our room all of about 15 minutes when I heard someone trying to get in our room. I saw the door handle moving so I opened the door - the lady screamed and jumped back. She said this is our room and showed me her card that said Room 2016 - yes the room we were in, I showed her my card that said the same number - she said she would go downstairs and get it straightened out. We didn't think anything else about it and left for the evening. Upon returning we found our door cards/keys no longer worked. So we headed all the way back down to the front desk (waited in a long line again) and were told that the cards no longer worked because they zero'd them out when the other couple came down - which confuses me because the other couples cards didnt work in the first place. So we head back up and go to bed. We wake up all excited now about the wonderful brunch we have heard so much about - I purchased the leisure package that included "2 Free Breakfast Buffet's". I called down to the restaurant (Colonial Room) at 8:00am to see what time brunch began - I was told they were all booked for the day. I told the lady that our package included the breakfast buffet - I was amazed that purchasing that package did not trigger a reservation for the breakfast buffet, thats when she laughed at me. At this point I was like geez I just want my money back - so after three transfers I finally get a manager and she tells me "no refund but if you can make it down to the restaurant in the next 30 minutes they will serve you regular breakfast". NOT the breakfast buffet that was promised in the package but a regular breakfast from the menu. Well out of options we hurry to get ready and head down - the waitress was awful - never smiled and was just down right depressing. The breakfast was average - but what was really bad was that we got to sit there and watch this glorious buffet being put out. Every hotel employee we encountered during our problems did not offer any comps or even apologize they acted like everything was our fault. $208 dollars a night for a room is a lot to me - it may not be for some folks but it is to me and to get this kind of service in my OWN HOME TOWN is a shame. Won't stay here again and will make sure my friends, co-workers and anyone I meet knows that yes the Menger is beautiful in the common areas but the rooms, the service and the staff leave A LOT to be desired.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Kingwood
Reviewed February 14, 2010

After our last enjoyable stay, we decided to celebrate Valentine's and our 32nd wedding anniversary at the Menger. I cannot say enough good things about the famed Hotel and excellent staff. They made us feel like family and our stay was better than before. The Menger offers so much in terms of rich history, hospitality, and great food. In the middle of all of the downtown activity district. A big shout to "Mark" at the front desk, Mr./Mrs. Malacara, and rest of the hotel staff. We'll be baaaack....

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 8, 2010

My boyfriend and I booked the Menger hotel in San Antonio for the weekend to celebrate my birthday. We booked a 2 night stay. The following events happened in the 2 days we stayed with the Menger.
Day 1- We checked in at 3pm (the designated check in time) to which we were assigned a room on the 4th floor. The room was very small and vintage to which we did not mind. We proceeded to the Riverwalk for dinner and upon our return realized that a pipe above the bed was making a very loud noise. I contacted the front desk who sent an engineer upstairs to investigate. Quickly after the engineer arrived he established that there was nothing he could do (apparently there was a piece of metal inside the pipe that was causing a loud noise every time water ran through the pipeline.) We were not offered another room. After very little sleep and complete delirium I contacted the front desk at 5am and requested a new room to which they accommodated.

Day 2- After waking from our night of little rest we proceeded to get ready for the day. After my morning shower I sat on the floor of the hotel room and noticed a small white bag under the bed. Upon removing the bag I realized it was NARCOTICS! I quickly contacted the front desk and requested hotel security and managment come to my room.
After 45 LONG minutes of no response, I contacted the front desk again who informed me that it would take a while (This did not make me happy due to the fact that I had a bag of DRUGS under my hotel bed!) I walked down to the hotel lobby and demanded a manager come to my room immediately.
I ended up taking the elevator with the hotel manager and the security guard who insulted me on several occassions and when they got to my room proceeded to make drug jokes about checking the drugs authenticity with "straws". I was NOT humored.
The 2 left my room and before leaving my room asked "so other than this, is your bed at least comfortable?"
I was completely floored by the situation and will NEVER return to this hotel.

This hotel is completely unprofessional.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VacaNiacole
washington
Reviewed January 29, 2010

My husband and I vacationed for the first time in Texas recently. We booked this hotel because we found a good deal and it was central to the Alamo and Riverwalk. What a joy when we drove up and had the valet help us. That was included in the package. Inside the history and elegance is amazing. The staff was so kind. They upgraded us to a 2 room suite which really was a treat. It was in the old part of the hotel. The sitting room was cold and we learned you had to adjust the vent to control the temperature. After that no problem. The bathroom was a little small, but they have packed all you need into the room. The antiques were gorgeous. The pool looked great. We didn't discover it until our last day. We did regret that. The water felt warm and it would have been a great way to rest after a day of walking around the sites. The riverwalk cruises are very enjoyable and we recommend it. What a nice hotel and city. Their restaurant was very good. Our package came with a full breakfast every morning. The grapefruit was so good. We recommend the Mi Tierra Bakery and Cafe in Market Square. The food is excellent.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cshellWashington
Long Grove, Iowa
Reviewed January 19, 2010

My niece and I stayed at The Menger Hotel for a week last May (2009) and thoroughly enjoyed our visit! The warm and welcome staff (from Lobby to Housekeeping) helped to make this a pleasant stay. Our room was located in the oldest part of the hotel on the 3rd floor, and was really more of a suite in 2 rooms plus a bath, with outside view overlooking the pool and garden below. We were in town for a conference and stayed a couple extra days for sight-seeing.
The Menger's location was central to our touring with the Alamo almost outside the lobby doors, and what a treat that was! Close to the famed RiverWalk, with Trolley and city bus very close by, we were able to enjoy much of what San Antonio had to offer. Temperatures at that time of year rose to the lower 80's, but with high humidity, and pleasant sunny days. Many different types of restaurants very close by for all price ranges.
Also close to Convention Center (catered meals here were good, but predictable convention fare.)
Our only disappointment was that we did not encounter any ghostly activity, for which The Menger Hotel & the Alamo is known! (Unless you count the occasional "spooky" water pressure in the shower!) A delightful and beautiful hotel, especially if you enjoy history, much of which is on display at The Menger!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Montana
Reviewed November 30, 2009

Stayed during Thanksgiving, to see the Riverwalk and Alamo. Rooms are very comfortable and clean. Staff is friendly and helpful. Many of the sites are within walking distance. Couldn't ask for anything more.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family