“Menger”

Ranked #27 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
A TripAdvisor Member
“Menger”
Reviewed April 9, 2006

THis was the most unpleasant experience we have encountered for the price charged. The rooms were small, outdated, the beds were horrible, no coffee maker in the room. Very disappointed and will not recommend to anyone and will do the opposite and tell everyone how bad it was. Historic or not, it is time to update, clean up. Walk through the lobby and eat at the resturant, but never stay there.

Felt like we were taken for the price.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
  • Indonesian first
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 19, 2006

I don't know if I'd pay rack rate here, but I felt it was a great deal at $110. The room was small, but not tiny. About the size of a decent European hotel room.
You stay here for the hotel, and the location
The lobby is fantastic, and the bar is part of Texas history. My room literally overlooked the courtyard of the Alamo. The restaurant inside was very nice as well, and reasonable.

Great hotel for a departure from the normal chain stays.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank KevinSdammit
Richwood
Reviewed March 15, 2006

When I got there, they weren't going to let me in because I was only 20. Then they made a compromise that if I didn't come into the hotel drunk I could stay. The room was wonderful, and so was the food. My friend and I ate at the Colonial Room and the wait service was very friendly. The valet was also very quick and reliable. My room over looked the Alamo Plaza which was great. The horse carriages out front were also interesting. At 12 midnight we were given free Mango Ice Cream, as a complimentary gift. That was a $6 item on the menu. The beds were nice and comfortable. The location was the greatest, I went to the Alamo 3 times and 2 times were at night. The mall is right next door, which I didn't realize until I was coming back from the mall. I cannot wait to return to the Menger, and I hope to get on the older side on the building.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank Les013
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 12, 2006

I was worried about staying at the Menger after reading the reviews but I am SO glad that I did not change my reservation. We stayed in a room (#2068) that overlooks the Alamo Plaza and we walked to EVERYTHING!! Yes, the room was small but I was not going to San Antonio to stay in my room all day! Our room had a walk-out balcony with a full view of Alamo Plaza. The hotel staff was very friendly and professional. If you are wanting to stay in a luxury hotel then opt for the riverwalk. but if it is historic chic you are looking for stay at The Menger! Oh yea, and if you go to Durty Nellys, be sure and say hello to a few of my brain cells...I think I left a few behind with the margaritas!!!

Stayed March 2006
4 Thank michelle972
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed March 3, 2006

Visit SanAntonio and you must stay at the Menger Hotel right next to the Alamo. Soak up the vintage ambiance and a flashback to the historical times of early Texas. See the pictures of the great personalities throughout history who have graced the elegance of the Menger. The location is perfect. It is positioned near the Alamo Plaza that has access to the great must-sees of San Antonio. The Menger is loaded with class! It has a great pool, spa, dining, and the staff is the best ever. If you have to stay some place else, still make the Menger a place to stroll through to see the elegance of yesteryear.

3 Thank turczi
Lake Jackson, TX
Reviewed February 24, 2006

We had always wanted to stay here but won't again. The room is nothing like the lobby, ours was old, the bathroom was severly outdated and the shower did not drain well, we nearly froze until we continued to bother the desk, at that point, they had our heat turned on.. so the rooms do not have individual thermastat controls..the bed was horrid, they need to throw them out and replace them all.. after an hour of waiting for the bellhop to bring up our luggage, had to call for it and the response was "oh, you want your luggage?"..( no thought we'd just leave it down stairs until we get ready to go home..really) Parking is $19 a day, your only other choice is to park very far away and drag your belongings over to the hotel.. We have stayed at many other "riverwalk" hotels.. and that's where we will stay next time.. this place is just horrid... dh

• Stayed February 2006
9 Thank hitowr
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 13, 2006

I recently stayed at the Menger for 4 nights. I was there on business and was definitely disappointed. While the lobby and surrounding areas have historic charm and were well kept the same could not be said for the guest rooms. I was on the renovated or "new" side of the hotel and was therefore able to control the tempature in my room. However, the beds were extremely hard (I actually enjoy a firm mattress but this bed was uncomfortable); the shower did not drain properly (I would have water up to my ankles by the time I was done with my shower); you could easily hear what was going on in the room next to you; and the rooms generally weren't set up for the business traveler. There was also a musty or "old" smell in many of the rooms. The fitness room was also extremely limited (the machines are old and a few were out of order). While in a great location, I can't say that I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business