“Disappointing”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed May 12, 2005

The glasses in the room that were being passed off as sanitized, were filthy, with brown goo on the bottoms of the glasses & reeking of coffee. Clean, huh?

Went to all the vending machines on all the floors to get a simple bottle of water, the machines either were out of order or sold out.

Great location, but wouldn't stay at the Menger again.

• Stayed: July 2004
1  Thank Amber R
There are newer reviews for Menger Hotel

Reviewed April 18, 2005

My recent stay at the Menger turned out to be more eventful than expected. I had to have my appendix removed! Many thanks to the staff who called the hospital to check up on me, ran to the drugstore to get me pain medication after the surgery, and were friendly and helpful in so many ways.

I had stayed at the Menger two years before at a friends recommendation and was not disappointed then or on this second trip. If you like older buildings and ambiance, the Menger is for you. If you like cookie cutter and corporate, you'd probably be happier somewhere else. The location is great - very close the the Mall, Riverwalk, Alamo, and Convention Center. In fact, I'd recommend it if you have to work the convention but want to get away from the conventioneers. Also happy with their restaurant and pool area.

I'm looking forward to future stays at the Menger.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank ShortStay70
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed April 4, 2005

The Menger's location makes it easy to visit the Riverwalk, shops and downtown attractions, all within walking distance. The room was comfortable and clean but nothing special compared to the lovely common areas. We found the front desk staff to be rather rude upon check-in and were offered no help with our bags either upon arrival or departure. In summary: the building was fine, the service was disappointing.

Reviewed April 4, 2005

We stayed March 31-April 1 and had a great time. But we knew what to expect- the Menger is old and not the most up to date or renovated place. However, it is hard to beat the charm of the lobbies and the proximity to the Alamo. Our room, 2080, looked out onto the plaza and side gate. The room is small but everything was fine. The bathroom was clean and the bed was comfortable. Just be warned- no coffee maker. Complimentary coffee in the lobby until 0900. Really enjoyed the historic Menger Bar. Our experience with check in was very positive- courteous and pleasant. Valet and bell services were prompt. We had no spooky experiences.

• Stayed: January 2005
6  Thank poodleone
Dallas, TX
Reviewed March 29, 2005

To Whom It May Concern:

We are currently guests in your hotel. We have been here since Thursday night. This was supposed to be my surprise anniversary trip for my husband and daughter. I married the two of them 3 years ago. I had fully expected this to be an eventful, yet relaxing trip.

Unfortunately, to this point it has been anything but.

On Wednesday evening, upon arrival we are told there are no rooms for us. That while my reservation (for two double bed, balcony room) has been made since 2/14, my room was not available and we would be put in one to be moved the next day. Check in itself took about 45 minutes. I had also ordered an anniversary basket for my husband to be in the room upon arrival, and had asked the lady at the desk when we arrived if it was here. She said yes just before she gave me the spill about there being no room service at night "until further notice". There was no basket. We got to the room, could not move, but tried to unwind but knowing we couldn't unpack anything gave up around 2am.

We woke up Thursday morning, waited until noon, which is when we were told to recheck in. At that time we are told again that the pool view, double beds was not available. And they would have to check for something else and to call back later. I called back about 15 mins later to find out that our room was ready, to have bags backed, and they would move everything that day.

We went to lunch, and to the Alamo. Upon returning about 4:30, we were told our things had been moved to our current room 4007. We get here, it is not a balcony room, it is a slight pool view, but it has one bed. I call the front desk and they said they didn't know the double bed was a priority. My child was with me though all of this and I had registered 2 adults and 1 child. She then said she was sorry but this was all they had but they would send a cot up to the room. About 30 mins later a cot was brought up and we had to move the room around to get it to fit in where we would not kill ourselves on it.

I had told the front desk I wanted to speak to a manager on the 1st time the problem arose and they said he was not available at that time. I explained on Thursday that I would like a manager to call me in my room. Never happened. This is written documentation that shows I have tried to talk with someone regarding these problems. I had originally had reservations with the Emily Morgan and only switched to the Menger because my daughter loves the whole "ghost phenomenon". I have traveled all over the world and stayed in many types of hotels. In Egypt I had less problems that I have had here. At this point I do not have a good review for this hotel with travelocity, or hotels.com.

Being completely concerned about our living quarters on my anniversary weekend has not led to a pleasurable trip, first trip, to San Antonio. I thought you should know beforehand any dissatisfaction before you saw a review elsewhere. I hope things will improve here before another trip to SA although I doubt I will stay here again.

As of right now I still have had no response from the Manager of the Menger.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 27, 2005

Went to the Menger in March of 03. We didn't know when we got thier that the hotel would be under construction. Because of the noise we asked that our room be moved, and had no problem. The proximity to the Alamo was fantatsic and the staff were friendly. Lovely lobby but the renovation is needed.

Once it is complete - I'll stay again!

Stayed: January 2005
5  Thank sandywoman
Wichita, kansas
Reviewed March 24, 2005

The Menger has a gorgeous lobby and garden but once you get to your room be prepared to be disappointed. Our particular room was tiny, dusty and creepy. Valet service was overly priced and extremely slow. We were five minutes late getting to the valet because it took so long for someone to come get our bags and they tried to charge us for another day!!!! I do believe the ghost stories only because the whole place gave our family a really uncomfortable feeling. We had our two year old twins with us and they were so creeped out that one them kept grabbing his shoes and trying to leave. The staff was rude and not particularly nice at all. It was convienent being so close to the Alamo and the Riverwalk but I would never stay there again.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member