“untruthful”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #23 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 21, 2009

At the end of a horrible week, my husband said let's go to San Antonio for the weekend. I quickly got on the phone and called the Menger as someone in my office had highly recommended it. She said be sure and stay in the new section of the hotel. So instead of booking on line, I called the hotel directly to be specific with our request. I requested a quite room, in the "new section" of the hotel with the bigger bathrooms. The reservation person was at the hotel (not a phone bank) and confirmed our request. When we arrived at the hotel, I once again confirmed with the receptionist checking us in that we were getting a quite room in the new section, she said yes.
Well, they both lied! The very small room was right across the street from the Alamo. The buggy drivers park their rigs on that street while they are trying to get people to engage them. We got to hear the noise from activity all night long as it was a weekend night. Also, the room was not in the new section of this very old hotel so the bathrooms were tiny, the air vents had mold in them and we could hear everything that was going on in the rooms around us all night long.
After having a horrible night without sleep, we checked out. When the receptionist asked how our stay was, I told her very disappointing. I went on to explain that our room was very noisy and not in the new section of the hotel posing the question, was it? She said well the person who checked us in is very honest and the room is in the "new section" but not the "new, new section". Aparently, when I made the reservation initially and the person I spoke to who described the rooms in the "new section" did not reserve a room in the "new, new section", give me a break! Then the clerk checking us out said that if I was dissatisfied, I could fill out the compliant card and mail it in. I thought I'd let Trip Advisor users know instead. I could probably have overlooked the room and the noise had it not been for the terrible attitude of the clerk who checked us out.
The only thing good about the Menger is the convenience of the location. Certainly don't stay here if you want a quite, clean, comfortable room.

2  Thank temp.europeans

Reviewed February 4, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for business and attended a conference onsite. Sleeping room was on the "new" side. Nothing special, carpet a bit worn, beds hard, nice hard shower. Kind of a funky smell in the room and hallways.
Location was excellent for the Riverwalk and other area sites. I'm a big fan of staying in historic hotels and B&Bs, but next time we'll likely stay at one of the big name hotels nearby.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2009

I stayed at the Menger last spring and was thinking about making a reservation for this April but I wanted to check the other reviews because I did have some problems.
The Good: If you are tired of chain hotels that all look the same, then the atmosphere and historical legend of this hotel is great. Visually it is a very intereting place. My room did not overlook the Alamo but at night when it is lit up, it really adds to the Hotel's long historied past.
The hotel is also close to the River Walk and just gave me an overall feeling of being in the Old West.
The Bad:
My room was dark. I was there for a conference and some of my colleagues had rooms that were more attractive. We were in the old section.
When I read the first review on this site, that clinched it for me and reconfirmed my initial impression. My room smelled like a cat litter box! I complained and they "cleaned " it again but the smell, like cat [-], never left the room. I don't know if it was the cleaning supplies they use or not but it was very disagreeable. And I am not one to complain unless something is really bad. I have a wide tolerance usually.
I have now decided to go back to the routine chain hotels after bad experiences both here and with the famous Brown Hotel in Denver.
Enough of historical relics!

1  Thank Superocean
Reviewed February 1, 2009

My husband and I checked in for three nights, but left after spending only one night. The original circular lobby is extraordinary and it's worth a stop in to see it, but don't stay in the hotel. For the same price, there are much better options within walking distance. The carpet in the room was filthy, there were hairs in the bathroom, the mattress was hard and the linens scratchy. There was a really moldy smell in the room - which they must have had complaints about because there was an old air filter/ionizer. You also can't open the windows to get any fresh air. I woke up really itchy and with a runny nose that went away within hours of leaving the room. It must have been mold or dust or something. I don't have allergies, but it seems I was actually allergic to The Menger.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank particularlypicky
Reviewed January 11, 2009

When we visit San Antonio, I have tried staying at other hotels, but prefer the Menger located right next to the Alamo for convenience to the Alamo, Riverwalk, downtown, etc. I valet park our car at $25 per day and don't see it again until we leave the Menger. Yes, that's quite a fee for a little peace of mind and convenience, I agree. I'm very sad that the Menger staff does not pay more attention to cleaning details. It's a hotel that I check into knowing I'll have to clean some things if I want them clean. Sheets and towels were VERY clean, but furniture and bathroom was NOT as clean as I expect them to be at any rate of pay. I always think about how nice it is to check in to a hotel and EVERYTHING is so clean and orderly so I try to provide the same environment for my house guests. In the last couple of years, I find I cannot expect everything to be clean in hotels. What a shame! The staff was cordial and almost courteous. The first night we spent at the Menger our room temp. was acceptable. The second night the temp. outside was same as previous night, but the room was cold and no heat came on. I walked down to the hotel desk at about 9:45 p.m. and asked when the heat would come on in our room. I was told first that it would come on when the outside temp. got to 45 degrees. At 12 midnight I walked down to the hotel desk again and told the staff that there was a thermostat on the wall and it didn't seem to function. It seemed to be blowing COLD air while it was 40+ degrees outside. I also told them that there was a note on the thermostat stating something like "do not turn fan off if something else is on" (sorry, can't remember exactly what it was called). I asked staff if they could just tell me if any of their heating/cooling equipment is on so I could at least turn the cold blowing fan off. Staff established that NONE of their heating/cooling equipment was on. I should've asked why the heat was not on since it was 40+ degrees outside. I just went back to my room and turned the cold blowing fan off and went to bed with every cover I could find. Sorry, but that situation is unacceptable. They'd better figure that one out really quick or they'll lose me and others. So on a positive note in conclusion, these are the good things about the Menger that I experienced: Quick hot water for showers, properly working ice machine down the hall, great breakfast in hotel restaurant, clean sheets and towels and secure valet parking. My friend and I have both been sick with upper respiratory infections since our weekend at the Menger. Just wondering if it's due to the cigarette smoke from the bar downstairs. Oh, I forgot to mention the peanut throwing guests in the lobby at midnight who were having a friendly food fight. Where do those kind of folks come from? Surely they're not Texans! Love you Menger, but please clean up your act a bit so you don't have to listen to all of these complaints . Until next time! (maybe)

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2008

The Menger Hotel has a long and illustrious history. As my husband so aptly put it, "I knew this was an historic hotel, but I didn't realize it was pre-historic". The Menger Hotel must have been a charming hotel in its day. Unfortunately, its day has come and gone. As you arrive in the front door of the Menger Hotel, there is a pervasive aroma of old cigar which did not dissipate during our entire 4 night stay. We were booked into the Menger by a convention booking service and we did not have a choice as to where to stay. When I booked these hotel rooms for us, I booked three rooms. My husband and I were in one room and although I requested a queen size or king size bed, when we arrived there were only rooms available with double beds, reminiscent of when I was a small child. The bathroom smelled of bug spray/wet dog. The towels were plentiful but very thin- almost see-through. The showerhead was built for someone under 4 ft. . The room size was large but dim, with light bulbs in only half of the lamps. The first night I didn't sleep well because the pillows were made of a substance similar to styrofoam and the sheets were very scratch. The bedspread was of a 1980's vintage as was the chair in the corner of the room. The hotel room contributed to what was a very uncomfortable stay. It is rare that I have been so grateful to leave any hotel as I was the Menger.

2  Thank DublinGemologist
Reviewed December 13, 2008

I had a horrible experience here. Upon checking in to the hotel around 5pm on a weekday that there was a pervasice smell of cigarette smoke throughout the lobby and common areas of the hotel. It must have been coming from the bar area. Although all the rooms are "non-smoking" the smoke from the common areas aggravated my asthma and I found this unbearable enough. After getting to my room, I was underwhelmed by the worn-looking furnishings and carpet, and the very old fixtures in the bathrooms. But, this is a historic hotel, I told myself, so get over it. Fine, I decided, I can deal with this. But about 6 hours later, after a business meeting and dinner meeting, I came back to my room to get a good nights sleep. Before crawling into bed, I pulled the sheets back for a little inspection. Good thing I did, because there were several bedbugs - still alive - on the sheets, and I am guessing that there were definitely more little bloodsuckers lurking in the crevices of the bed to come and bite me in the middle of the night. I was creeped out, so I re-packed my bags and asked for a new room. When the new room was not actually clean and ready to go, I decided to leave and got another room even closer to the convention center. I was so happy to have left. The Menger has really let things slide, and they need a major renovation. They don't deserve their 3 stars....

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business