“Great Experience”

Menger Hotel
Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Moreno Valley, CA
Reviewed September 24, 2004

I really connected with this hotel and its rich history. The courtyard garden was in bloom and was very relaxing. The room was pleasant, clean and quiet. The staff was friendly, responsive and informative. I ate dinner at the hotel restaurant and loved the atmosphere and the food. The waiter was friendly, informative and attentive. The food was quite good and average in price for the type and quality. My room was in a newer section and overlooked the Alamo. The river walk, plenty of shopping, restaurants, fast food and entertainment were all within a few minutes walk.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed September 13, 2004

The Menger was just the most relaxing, pleasant hotel we have ever stayed in. Wonderful service, food, locaton and gardens. We are looking forward to our next visit.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 22, 2004

I love this hotel. I have stayed here three times now, and I have not been disappointed any of the times. It is a great hotel, full of history and charm. The rooms are nice, clean, and comfortable. The location could not be better if you want to be close to the Alamo (next door!) and the Riverwalk is a short stroll. The Rivercenter next door is also quite handy. The staff was courteous and friendly. I will stay here again.

Austin Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2004

Well....its a Grand Hotel, elaborate lobby, dining room, and we reserved our room several days ahead of time, requesting a king bed-smoking. Upon arrival the only thing available was non-smoking. Not a major issue but it wasn't what I had reserved. The valet and bell staff were good and check in was pretty much hassle free. During our stay, the Conceirge was hard to find but the valet/bell staff were quite knowledgable. During the first night...thought I felt something crawling on me...biting me. Awoke to discover the bed was full of ants. Upon complaining, they sent a maid with a can of RAID to fix the problem and did not offer another room until I insisted. Then I had to request assistance with our luggage and ended up with a room with double beds which wasn't what I was paying for. I requested to be comped for the night and was told they would give us a FREE breakfast buffet...not quite worth the $100 I paid for the room. Finally I was told the Corporation would mail me a check for one nights charge. Needless to say I am very disappointed. Whatever happened to the Hotel where no matter who you are or how much you spend...the service is impeccable because you are the CUSTOMER!!! This could be an EXCELLENT hotel, with its history and ambiance it could be the center of attention but I am afraid that the Corporate Virus has taken over and it is now a matter of the DOLLAR over SERVICE. Overall, on a scale of 1 to 5, I would rate the Menger at a low level 3. But then thats just my opinion.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston TX
Reviewed July 1, 2004

This is the worst Hotel I have ever stayed in. First of all, when we made our reservations they never told us that there was a fee for parking. When added the tax it comes to $20 per night!!!!! They told us that they are now telling guests about the parking fee, but we still had to pay. The rooms are not very big. The staff was very rude. AND THEY CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD TWICE!!!!!! They said it was a honest mistake, however, I think they were hoping that I did not notice. So Please check your credit card!!!!! I did not get a free night or an apology. Please check around before staying at this hotel!!!

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2004

The Menger Hotel had the best location, close to everything. We stayed in the old section which we enjoyed. The Hotel has alot of Historical photos, Artifacts and the Menger Bar is a must see. The only bad thing I could say is the rooms could be in a little better condition. Such a great Historic Hotel they should make sure its in top condition.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed May 17, 2004

The Menger Hotel has always been one of my favorite hotels. My husband and I married this last weekend and chose the Menger as our "honeymoon suite" hotel, and were so very pleased with it. I have stayed there prior, and visit regularly, and living here in San Antonio, I must say it is at the top of my list. If you are looking for all out luxury and pampering, this isn't the hotel for you. If you like the cliche hotels, something common and ordinary, again, not for you. But if you are bored with all that, and wish to indulge yourself into the history of one of the most facinating cities in the US, you should thoroughly enjoy this one. The first time I stayed we had a fairly luxurious room, though small, and it did have a jacuzzi bath tub, and beautiful veiws of the alamo. This time our room was huge, extremely unique, and the VERY oversized and beautiful windows looked out upon the beautiful courtyard and pool. Again, this is not a fru fru hotel. It's history is rich, and this hotel preserves and celebrates it, rather than catering to the modern styles. Honestly, I am disappointed at the remodeling that has taken place, as I enjoy keeping it as true to its history as possible. Each room is different and unique, making this one to come back to time and time again. You just can't get enough, and you will definately not be bored. When my husband and I arrived, we were still in wedding attire, and checked in at midnight that night. The clerk immediately upgraded us at no addtional cost to a larger suite than we had booked, and one that looked out at the pool. I was very impressed. The only downfall to this was that we had arranged to have champagne waiting in our room, and with the upgrade we did not receive our champagne. I'm sure had we called down for it, we would have gotten it, but we were exhausted, and let it slide. I do wish that more of the staff was more educated in the history of the hotel and city, as some seemed lacking in knowledge, which could turn some people away. However, this hotel remains one of my favorites, and will always be my little get away not far from home.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member