“Great stop over.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Menger Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Menger Hotel
Ranked #29 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
“Great stop over.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Good value, clean, nice sized room, lovely complimentary coffee. Next to the Alamo and the river walk. Only complaint was that the bar was very expensive but worth seeing all the taxidermy. Hotel has lots of interesting things to see.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emma C
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your delightful experience of your stay over at the Historic Menger Hotel.

We are proud to be the proud neighbors of the Historic Alamo and other historic treasures in downtown San Antonio. It is always a pleasure when our guests recognize our efforts as it is our goal to have every guest leave with fond memories.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to downtown San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel.

best regards,
General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Indonesian first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

I pre-purchased a Groupon for this hotel, it was the worst hotel my bf and i have ever visited! The room was so small, i was scared i would hit the bed when i open the door. It was in the middle of summer, the AC didnt work, all the air we got was from a really old ceiling fan that look like it about to fall off. I tripped on my way to the bathroom because of the ridiculous step that was there, i dont understand why it would be there except to trip people over. Oh and no fridge people!

Of course i called and request a room exchange, the front desk was very nice and within 10 minutes i was changed to another room. This room was twice as big which made me wonder, is it just because i pre-purchased a Groupon that's why i was stuck in a tiny, dysfunctional room? I have no idea.

Even when the new room was better then the old one, it still fell short of our expectations. We visited SA earlier this july and stayed at home2 suites, let me tell you this is heaven compare to Menger hell. The price point is around the same (about $20 more expensive) but i got clean, new, fully function, big room with a full kitchen and full sized fridge. Right after i heard about the ghost tour happens at night, my boyfriend and i immediately abandon the pre-paid room and checked into home2 suites. Of course we did not get any refund nor did we even try to. We did not get charge for valet (thanks god) but at that point i was so pissed off about everything at the hotel i would just pay the $28 plus tax to get out of there.

I apologize if this sound like a lot of complaints considering many people actually liked this hotel, but i definitely would not step anywhere near this hotel ever again. I wasted $127 for a lesson, never go anywhere with a label "historic", just a fancy word for really old and need renovate.

P.S. the front desk guy (dont know his name) was very nice, he did tried to make the experience better but of course it not his fault the place he work at sucks. I did gave 2 stars just for the service. Finally, the reason i couldn't get to home2 suite before paid for this ridiculous hotel was because the Groupon picture made this hotel look super nice and it is a bit closer to Riverwalk.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Diem-Trang N
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the discomfort you experienced.

The Historic Menger Hotel is very proud to be a member of Groupon. We regret that the historical area of the hotel did not meet your expectations. Some of these rooms have a step down into the bathroom which is part of the original design. I was pleased that we were able to provide you with a different room.

We hope when you have the opportunity to return to downtown San Antonio, you will once again consider The Historic Menger Hotel for your lodging.

Laredo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

Stayed for a wedding. Booked 2 suites not worth the price. Those 2 rooms are so HOT!!! After complaining they brought us a box fan ( seriously). Found roaches on kitchen cabinets and aunts on bed. So disappointed!!! Bartender at bar also very very rude!!!

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Lovetotravel1233
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

The hotel was beautiful and all of the staff was friendly!! The best part of the entire stay(and would make me return) are the Spanish guitar players in the restaurant. My husband and I had dinner there our first night and it was pretty good but we LOVED the guitar players in the restaurant! We decided to come back every night of our stay to hear them play. They were so friendly and talented!!! Although over all I enjoyed our stay these men would make me return here!

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I truly would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience in the Historic Menger Hotel's Colonial Dining Room.

Our musician is very talented and enjoys the interaction of the Colonial Dining Room guests. I have shared this comment with the staff as reinforcement of our commitment toward providing every guest with fond memories.

We look forward to your return to the Historic Menger Hotel and the Colonial Dining Room.

Edgewood,NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

I thought that the room and the service was excellent. The location is perfect because it was right next to the Alamo and close to the Riverwalk and Hemisfair park so I have no complaints at all. I recommend it it to everyone.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are very pleased that you took the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. It is our goal to have every guest leave with fond memories.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to The Historic Menger Hotel.

Copperas Cove, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

Didn't see any "Ghosts" but I just had to comment on the breathtaking views of this historical hotel and add my pics too! The architecture is amazing and the patio in the center of the hotel (outside) is so peaceful and serene! The Alamo is right across the street! You'll definitely want to stay here if you are out for sightseeing of San Antonio as the Riverwalk is just down the street! They also have the cutest items for sale in the hotel's specialty shops! (*Note: I didn't stay in the hotel overnight, but I have before. I just wanted to stop by and take some pictures that I didn't get last time and to sit on the fabulous porch rockers and take in the peacefulness with my friends.) =)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience with Trip Adivisor. We are pleased that you found a peaceful place to relax and enjoy your time in downtown San Antonio.

Your comments will be shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as reinforcement of our commitment toward exemplary guest service.

We look forward to your return when the opportunity arises for your to choose The Historic Menger Hotel for your lodging.

Hector R. Venegazs
San Angelo, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

I had heard amazing things about the
Menger Hotel, but upon arrival I was very disappointed in the accommodations. I had paid for an upgrade to include a balcony. The room did have a balcony overlooking the pool....however, there are generators of some sort that run constantly. The noise level was disturbing to our sleep. Also, the beds were twin size and the pillows were most uncomfortable. There is nothing plush or elegant in the accommodations. I understood the hotel was old, but I expected it to have opulence and an air of dignity...what I got was a motel 6 room with the price I had expected for opulence. I am very disappointed. The convenience to the RIVERWALK is nice, but for the price of this hotel, I could have had a balcony overlooking the RIVERWALK.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank nonni0321
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Your comments shared with Trip Advisor are appreciated. Please accept my sincerest apologies that your expectations wee not met.

The Historic Menger Hotel has a variety of rooms and sizes and we regret did not have the opportunity to provide you with a different room.