“A step back in time”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed November 4, 2008

Stayed here for one night. The room was huge and well kept, although the bathroom could certainly have done with a freshen up!!! And a mini bar and fridge in the room would have been great. The staff were friendly although I'm sure I speak for a large number of people when I say that I hate hotel room swipe cards, especially when they don't work!! The coffee machine in the room was also pretty pathetic I must say! Fantastic location though. Notwithstanding this we would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Menger Hotel

Reviewed October 27, 2008

The lobby is beautiful and very interesting. The outdoor pool is loevely. Staff were professional and courteous. Unfortunately, the room and its condition were awful. My room was truly the size of a shoebox, but there was adequate room to walk on all three sides of the bed. The carpet was very worn, some of the furniture chipped, getting a little worn. I have never had trouble breathing in a hotel room, but two nights in a row I had trouble here. As soon as I switched hotels, didn't have any trouble breathing at night, go figure. I spoke with staff that night, who told me to check back the next day to try and get a different room ( it was claustrophobic). The next day (guess I was too tired and it was too dark to notice when I checked in) I found a very nasty and large (apparently fungally infected) toenail clipping on the floor, it wasn't mine. I then realized there were many clippings concentrated in one area of the room. There was also some food debris on the other side of the bed and a denture repair kit in one of the bedside table drawers. Housekeeping service had been in the room twice that day, and never vacuumed or made up the bed ( I didn't care about the bed, I just thought that was weird), and they never fully emptied the garbage, (they left stuff in the bottom, go figure), so I guess they were only there to change towels. Needless to say, I wondered about the actual and real cleanliness of the room. Management was very nice and listened to my complaints/concerns. I'm sure they would have tried to find me another room, but I wasn't interested anymore. It was too late in the day for me to switch hotels, so I stayed that night and happily left early the next morning. This was my experience.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2008

I spent a week at The Menger Hotel in San Antonio. From an historic stand-point this hotel rates an A+. Beautiful, and well-kept lobbies really tell the story of this hotel resting on Alamo grounds. I was not prepared for the "ghostly atmosphere" that seem prevalent, especially in the older section of the hotel over the dining room. The staff is extremely helpful and gracious. My only issue was inconsistency of room temperature. One morning I woke up in a sauna. Putting the dial on cold, sent out a wave of hot air, on the flip side my next door neighbor was bundled up and freezing in her room. I did not research the Menger on-line before going, but was pleasantly surprised upon my return home when I found out about the hauntings. If you want history and atmosphere this is for you.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2008

This is a belated review but sure it still holds true. We spent a weekend there last December for the Big 12 Championship game and were very pleased. Great location as near the Riverwalk and across from the Alamo. Our room was comfortable and the staff pleasant and the rate very reasonable. We love to stay in historic old hotels and this is certainly one. Did not encounter any ghosts though! :) We would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2008

I have been staying at the Menger all of my life and I will continue to do so anytime I visit San Antonio. Please do NOT go if you can't appreciate the historical importance and beauty of this hotel. It is not set up for contemporary guests. It's an invitation to an era back in time and only those who can appreciate such should stay here.

Our favorite room is one of the old ones with a balcony overlooking the Alamo Plaza. We have also stayed in the Roosevelt Suite; hoping to get a glance at one of the specters that so many claim haunt the building, but ...alas...to no avail.

Again, please do not make reservations at this hotel if you are looking for updated, modern amenities. But, if you're looking for a blast from the past, this could be the place for you!

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank montagcynan
Reviewed October 3, 2008

This hotel was in the perfect location in San Antonio. You could walk to every attraction....The Alamo, The Riverwalk, Buckhorn Saloon and Musuem, La Villita.

I would recommend this hotel b/c of its location.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2008

This hotel is leagues above the chain hotels that surround it. The location, directly across from the Alamo, makes it easy to find for "geographically challenged" travelers like me. It's about a block from the Riverwalk and very close to other attractions and the mall. The hotel was established in 1859 and the staff take great pride in discussing its history (T. Roosevelt recruited Rough Riders in the bar). Our room, 5315, was large and comfortable, although the two beds were a little short of queen size. We had a great balcony that overlooked the pool and had a great view of the skyline and a nearby palm tree in the courtyard. Another member of our party had a room in the older section and although the bed in that room was definitely larger, the room was rather cramped without a balcony.
The downsides - it's not ultra-modern so the bathroom looks rather utilitarian (although it was large), the water pressure was great but the water temp took a distinct turn toward scalding if someone flushed in a nearby room, the breakfast buffet doesn't have a lot of choices and there are no eggs on the buffet proper - you must order from the waffle/egg station which can sometimes be a bit backed up. The charm of this place more than makes up for its dated amenities. The rooms have free DSL, there are free newspapers in the lobby (USAToday, the local paper and the Journal), plus there's free coffee. Truly consider this place if you want something more than a chain experience for your time here in San Antonio!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business